Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

bosguy1981 wrote:
claaa7 wrote:what is the reason for Johnny Horne's recast (again)?
seems to be the only one so far.. couldn't come to an agreement with Richard Bauer?
Allegedly, Piper Laurie missed the chance to film a scene in the new series because she wasn't waiting by the phone and on the day Lynch wanted to shoot, she was unavailable or something. Maybe the same thing happened with Bauer?

Then again, if these are his only scenes (running into walls and getting yanked around while tied to a chair, and not much of any dialogue), maybe they determined it made more sense to use a licensed stuntman? I dunno.
I remember Harry Goaz saying that Sherilyn was selfish, or something. It was something to do with how she supposedly kickied off and refused to sign on for the new Peaks, and by the time she signed and was ready to do the scenes, Bauer was then unavailable.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Where is everyone getting this information from? Especially curious about Piper Laurie as I'd never heard that before!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Assuming Lynch cut the Episode early because the first scene in ep 11 is probably going to be a doozy and wouldn't have fit in the 5/6 minute window. Or it would've been lame to put it there without follow up.

High hopes.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

sylvia_north wrote:. - - long post on gender / violence against women on p25 - -

Great post, thanks!

The only scene of violence against women that struck me as highly problematic when taken in isolation was the Darya murder, but looking at the bigger picture of the show the problem for me is the lazy reliance on it as a device for creating some kind of frisson, or as Cipher put it nicely said, "turning exclusively to victimized women as a shortcut for greater darkness". I love Lynch's imagination, poetics, his approach to telling a story, but I find it a real shame that underneath all these layers, a big part of the psychological core of his work is his fetishisation of archetypal 'damaged women' and the madonna/whore complex.

We can look at any one the scenes of violence against women in isolation and use the show's internal logic to justify it in narrative terms (which seems to constitute the bulk of the apologism). But this episode really reinforced the pattern that seemed to be emerging in the early episodes of what the role of women in this series was going to be (largely, window dressing and murder-fodder). The paternalistic flirting of older men with women who work for them (and the women's eager responsiveness to it) especially creeps me out (knowing what Lynch seems to be like in that respect), and it trivialises their characters to some extent. No matter how much of a visionary Lynch may be, there are still aspects of his work that are entirely what you what expect of a white male director in his 70s, with a penchant for 50s nostalgia that is clearly not just aesthetic. Of course, there's more time for characters to be developed, but I'm a lot less optimistic about it after E10. Sure, we've got a few good female characters (one of them is even allowed to tell jokes), and one or two Strong Female Characters™, but unless I missed a scene, in the first 10 hours of TP:TR it's only passed the Bechdel Test twice (Miriam and Heidi/Shelley at the Double R, and the zebra/penguin girls at the roadhouse). That's less than the amount of women murdered in the first episode. People are pointing out that the scenes of violence against women are reflecting reality, and sure, this stuff happens. But, you know, women actually talk to each other in reality too, and we get to see a lot less of that.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Jacob wrote: - So I'm really surprised, when I see people here who are disappointed by Janey-E behavior (because she sleeps with Dougie even if he cheated on her) or, more strangely to me, even rooting for her ! There's nothing to be disappointed or to support. It's not like she ever cared about Dougie. The fact that he cheated on her doesn't matter to her. She used him probably for his money. And now he has abs, she uses him for sex.
I'm trying to follow your point, yet viewers were earlier pretty struck with how she berated DougieCoop after photos of him w/ Jade were revealed. "Jade give two rides." "I BET SHE DID!" It became a meme, it was resonant with how Janey-E was angry with him for cheating.
Jacob wrote:That's why I liked the sex scene so much : because it's clear now Janey-E is evil.
Manipulative, sure. Flawed maybe. I think 'evil' is a stretch.
Actually -- my 2 cents: I'm not sure Janey-E is much beyond a projection from some other plane herself. I was thinking how she relates to her son: i.e., not at all. She's never shown having direct contact with Sonny Jim. She speaks of him in passive parlance ("Go say goodnight to Sonny jim!" "He's been waiting up for you!") and, I mean we see them in the same room once or so but I can't recall if Janey and Sonny Jim have ever exchanged words. This dynamic has me wondering if they're functioning more as a device of some kind or are not all-what-they-seem.
I mean she's raping him ! How can people here be wishing for Coop to live happily ever after with her is beyond me. We're living in a strange world : while people here are complaining about representation of violence against women, a man-baby is being raped and viewers are hoping he's going to stay with the girl ! Am I alone on this one ?
You're not alone. I'm intrigued how people exude over the sex scene when as you put it, this was the equivalent of a man-child in mentality. Even more intriguing as others speculated how Johnny Horne could possibly father a child. It's a mind bender of an episode! It's really messing with ppl's heads.
Diane seems dirty... Now she may also be forced to work for DoppleCoop because of her potential girl with him ("Linda"). Maybe he has a way a leverage over Diane because of her ?
I'm not following 'because of her potential girl with him', where is "Linda" introduced and can you clarify that phrase, did I miss something?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:. - - long post on gender / violence against women on p25 - -

Great post, thanks!

The only scene of violence against women that struck me as highly problematic when taken in isolation was the Darya murder, but looking at the bigger picture of the show the problem for me is the lazy reliance on it as a device for creating some kind of frisson, or as Cipher put it nicely said, "turning exclusively to victimized women as a shortcut for greater darkness". I love Lynch's imagination, poetics, his approach to telling a story, but I find it a real shame that underneath all these layers, a big part of the psychological core of his work is his fetishisation of archetypal 'damaged women' and the madonna/whore complex.

We can look at any one the scenes of violence against women in isolation and use the show's internal logic to justify it in narrative terms (which seems to constitute the bulk of the apologism). But this episode really reinforced the pattern that seemed to be emerging in the early episodes of what the role of women in this series was going to be (largely, window dressing and murder-fodder). The paternalistic flirting of older men with women who work for them (and the women's eager responsiveness to it) especially creeps me out (knowing what Lynch seems to be like in that respect), and it trivialises their characters to some extent. No matter how much of a visionary Lynch may be, there are still aspects of his work that are entirely what you what expect of a white male director in his 70s, with a penchant for 50s nostalgia that is clearly not just aesthetic. Of course, there's more time for characters to be developed, but I'm a lot less optimistic about it after E10. Sure, we've got a few good female characters (one of them is even allowed to tell jokes), and one or two Strong Female Characters™, but unless I missed a scene, in the first 10 hours of TP:TR it's only passed the Bechdel Test twice (Miriam and Heidi/Shelley at the Double R, and the zebra/penguin girls at the roadhouse). That's less than the amount of women murdered in the first episode. People are pointing out that the scenes of violence against women are reflecting reality, and sure, this stuff happens. But, you know, women actually talk to each other in reality too, and we get to see a lot less of that.
Reading this kind of things, I'm even more relieved I'm able to see and read things without any SJW bingo card. 8)
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

KyleRickards wrote:
Methedrome wrote:I think it was implied that Miriam likely spoke to Chad which would explain why no action had been taken on Richard.
But Andy was the one following the report, hence he went to that meeting, which never happened. Sure it will be explained...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andy talked to the owner of the truck, right? Who never told him anything and apparently ended up dead. We still haven't gotten back to that one. There's no indication that Andy spoke to Miriam or was aware she was a witness at the scene. I think her talking to Chad was completely separate from Andy's investigation, and Chad just kept it to himself.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Jacob wrote: - So I'm really surprised, when I see people here who are disappointed by Janey-E behavior (because she sleeps with Dougie even if he cheated on her) or, more strangely to me, even rooting for her ! There's nothing to be disappointed or to support. It's not like she ever cared about Dougie. The fact that he cheated on her doesn't matter to her. She used him probably for his money. And now he has abs, she uses him for sex.
That's why I liked the sex scene so much : because it's clear now Janey-E is evil. I mean she's raping him ! How can people here be wishing for Coop to live happily ever after with her is beyond me. OK, maybe in the next parts, Dougie, while he's going to awake himself, is also going to awake the real goodness in Janey E. Maybe. But for now that's everything but a love story. She's crazy ! Hellohohohoho !!! :mrgreen:
We're living in a strange world : while people here are complaining about representation of violence against women, a man-baby is being raped and viewers are hoping he's going to stay with the girl ! Am I alone on this one ?
I don't agree that she's evil, and don't know why you think she doesn't care for him, but I do find it an awkward scene as he is essentially a "man-baby". I think she's a somewhat horny housewife who, apparently having missed the fact he has incredible abs every morning she dressed him - although possibly intrigued by his brief man of action phase - and she just wants to screw her husband. I don't know what her relationship was like with Dougie before he was replaced by DougieCoop, and I don't know what happens between him focussing on that chocolate cake and the two of them waking up Sonny Jim mid sex, but I'm aware this is Coop not at his full mentally capacity, and they're technically strangers. Arguably he didn't consent to it, even if he has got a big grin on his face. It's played for laughs but, even as it's making me laugh it makes me cringe.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

sewhite2000 wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
Methedrome wrote:I think it was implied that Miriam likely spoke to Chad which would explain why no action had been taken on Richard.
But Andy was the one following the report, hence he went to that meeting, which never happened. Sure it will be explained...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andy talked to the owner of the truck, right? Who never told him anything and apparently ended up dead. We still haven't gotten back to that one. There's no indication that Andy spoke to Miriam or was aware she was a witness at the scene. I think her talking to Chad was completely separate from Andy's investigation, and Chad just kept it to himself.
Ah yes, you're right. They had an ID on the truck but not the driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

Ok I liked some of this episode but seeing that we only have 7 parts left I really wish Cooper would wake up.
I hope they don't wait until the last 2 episodes to wake him up I really love his character and after waiting 25 years we need him back. I have really liked the series until this episode aired. I understand all the opinions but it seems like a waste of an episode to devote most of it to Jim Belushi. I'm hoping that next weeks episode is better.
I did like the scene with Albert, Gordon and Agent Preston, the scene with Hawk and Margaret had some good information as well. I guess I may be a little selfish but I want Special Agent Dale Cooper back
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

anthoto1 wrote:
Reading this kind of things, I'm even more relieved I'm able to see and read things without any SJW bingo card. 8)
Good for you, man. But what's the big deal? I was just writing about what I find tiresome in something I otherwise really love, i.e. critical thinking. If you disagree, that's fine, but please keep the 'SJW' slurs to whichever corner of Reddit they belong, especially if you're going to misrepresent what was actually being said.
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I think that Johnny's bear's "head" is the sphere that contained Laura, or what remains of it. Laura was released into the world through a hole in the sphere when she was born/conceived. Now all that is left is the empty shell. Somehow, it has found its way to become the head of Johnny's teddy bear. The hole that Laura came out of is now the mouth of the bear. After Laura left the lodge, she is now linked with the sphere shell again. She is trying to communicate with Johnny Horne, her old student. Maybe Laura would always say "Hello, Johnny, how are you today?" to him. This is what scared Johnny last episode causing him to crash into the wall. Now, he's tied up and forced to listen to Laura endlessly.

Leland told Cooper to find Laura. I think that Cooper will have to find the Laura Bear before the show is over.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Redlodge wrote:Ok I liked some of this episode but seeing that we only have 7 parts left I really wish Cooper would wake up.
I hope they don't wait until the last 2 episodes to wake him up I really love his character and after waiting 25 years we need him back. I have really liked the series until this episode aired. I understand all the opinions but it seems like a waste of an episode to devote most of it to Jim Belushi. I'm hoping that next weeks episode is better.
I did like the scene with Albert, Gordon and Agent Preston, the scene with Hawk and Margaret had some good information as well. I guess I may be a little selfish but I want Special Agent Dale Cooper back
8 left
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
That's why I liked the sex scene so much : because it's clear now Janey-E is evil. I mean she's raping him ! How can people here be wishing for Coop to live happily ever after with her is beyond me. OK, maybe in the next parts, Dougie, while he's going to awake himself, is also going to awake the real goodness in Janey E. Maybe. But for now that's everything but a love story. She's crazy ! Hellohohohoho !!! :mrgreen:
We're living in a strange world : while people here are complaining about representation of violence against women, a man-baby is being raped and viewers are hoping he's going to stay with the girl ! Am I alone on this one ?
I don't agree that she's evil, and don't know why you think she doesn't care for him, but I do find it an awkward scene as he is essentially a "man-baby". I think she's a somewhat horny housewife who, apparently having missed the fact he has incredible abs every morning she dressed him - although possibly intrigued by his brief man of action phase - and she just wants to screw her husband. I don't know what her relationship was like with Dougie before he was replaced by DougieCoop, and I don't know what happens between him focussing on that chocolate cake and the two of them waking up Sonny Jim mid sex, but I'm aware this is Coop not at his full mentally capacity, and they're technically strangers. Arguably he didn't consent to it, even if he has got a big grin on his face. It's played for laughs but, even as it's making me laugh it makes me cringe.
Oh come on, Dougie easily dispatched a trained assassin not long ago. I am pretty sure he could have fended off unwanted sex from Janey-E if he wasn't into it, not to mention the necessity of getting aroused. It's good that this show is not on regular cable because if the PC brigade exerted censorship over Lynch's creative output, then we might as well watch some Teletubbies episodes.
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

David Locke wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:Wow, so this was the extra-special "extreme violence against women" episode? Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I have to confess that I had a pretty strong gag reflex to almost everything this week. This is the first time I've felt like walking away and not looking back. :(
It was definitely gratuitously ugly/abrasive in a specific way that Lynch can be occasionally, and which I don't like (FWWM would NOT be an example of this, for example; WAH, to some extent anyway, would). I started the episode excited by the further momentum of everything and Richard being tied back in, but by the end I felt very disgusted. To paraphrase Mr. Eddy, it out-uglied even Episode 6. Not a bad hour, but in dire need of at least some of the warmth that was so beautifully on display in last week's great Part 9. This was easily the worst part thus far.
I thought the violence was balanced fairly well (relatively speaking) by the tender moments between Dougie and Janey-E, Albert and morgue lady, the Log Lady, and the song at the end.

I feel like some are overreacting to the violence against women angle, but hey, you guys feel what you feel, so it is what it is. :D