Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
nick1218 wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:

By 'it' I mean I wonder what happened to The Mother creature, having materialised in this world.
I've not seen much discussion on that bizarre process that occurs when Cooper is in the glass box, probably because it's so unfathomable. Purely speculation, but I have an idea that the box isn't there to capture or harness that creature, but to send it elsewhere, e.g. to ???????'s world (..."it is in our house now"...) There are a few details that would add weight to this which I don't have time to write just now, but there are also other details which muddy the waters...
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

Jonah wrote:
alreadygoneplaces wrote: ....
Ubermensch33 wrote: ....
Ok. This is all making more sense now. At first I wasn't sure if it was something nefarious Andy was caught up in or if it was related to the truck. Having read these comments, I think it's probably just the truck. Not a separate subplot involving Andy being crooked (although not ruling that out either). I think it's all tied to the Richard Horne thing. Makes sense. Thanks guys.
In my heart of hearts I still find it hard to believe Andy is even slightly crooked, but there's a lot of evil going on these days without good Coop.

Andy sure gave him a lot of leeway. He must know him well, or be involved in something. I mean, you have the truck used in a fatal hit and run of a child. I feel like old Andy would have phoned Truman right away.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Is it safe to say that Frank Truman isn't running a tight ship at the sheriff's station? He seems only focused on Hawk's investigation into Agent Cooper while also being distracted by his brother's illness, his wife, and visits from Wally Brando. The only bit of real police business we saw him deal with briefly was the drug running. Harry S. Truman seemed to be able to run a multi-tasking police force, at least.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jonah wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Do you guys think that it was Laura moving outside the door that caused this "glitch"? You can see it moving from the door, past Tammy (not in the gif which focuses only on the door):

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7btRSDS ... /giphy.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't see anything....? But I thought the actress walked up that hallway in a very strange manner.
Look at the door in that scene (you have to check out the animated gif, not the still frame). The door card hole visibly glitches, and so does the floor and Tammy's arm.

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jonah wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Do you guys think that it was Laura moving outside the door that caused this "glitch"? You can see it moving from the door, past Tammy (not in the gif which focuses only on the door):

I don't see anything....? But I thought the actress walked up that hallway in a very strange manner.
Check this one. The glitch on the door is very visible here:

https://m.imgur.com/WA4NYci

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Holy exposition, Duncan Todd! Thank goodness Patrick Fischler is as fun to watch as he is; he almost made it work. But that convoluted scheme was eye-rolling, and the line "You remember my business competitors and archnemeses the Mitchum brothers" (paraphrasing from memory) was like something out of an '80s weekday afternoon cartoon. I may end up loving this scene on rewatches as one of those ambiguously self-parodying Lynch moments, but it really pulled me out of the show on initial viewing (and I've been loving the Duncan Todd scenes til now). Particularly coming on the heels of exposition-heavy Part 9, it's really jarring to see a DKL-directed piece being this chatty.
The only problem I had with that scene is that it does not make logical sense (on the surface) for Duncan Todd to rely on the Mitchum Brothers to do his dirty work. If truly Duncan has to get this hit done right away, it seems a little convoluted to assume the Mitchum Brothers will kill Dougie just by telling them Dougie has it out for them and denied their insurance claim.

Then again, maybe assassinations are not something Duncan Todd normally deals with, and he does not know any other hitmen or middle women (like Lorraine) to turn to, so maybe the Mitchum Brothers idea is his 'hail mary pass'.

What did you think of the Candy scenes?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

asmahan wrote:Was autotune added to No Stars? It sounds slightly different on Spotify, not to mention very very similar to The World Spins.
My thoughts exactly, when I seen it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Jonah wrote:

I see it now! Hmmm - and the way she's walking and looking warily at the door. Looks like maybe they meant to put some CGI in here? Of a spirit? But didn't.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

My name is wxray. "wx" stands for "weather."

So, to me the funniest scene was when Candie explained how she got the insurance guy off the floor to the room. She says she told them "We're in the version layer." To a weather person, hilarious! Nice job, Frost.

Meanwhile, this pissed off the language geeks. They don't get the joke and consider it an affront to language. They're already writing forum entries on this one line. https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... r.3345122/
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Spoiler:
sycamore wrote:
nick1218 wrote:
Firewalkwithme91 wrote:
That´s weird. When I watched the episode I just thought: Oh look, it´s Hastings and he shaved his head for some reason. :lol:
Its Moby! he was in the ep two times :)
here's the same image with a little exposure/shadow/highlight work in photoshop. definitely a trenchcoat, definitely a third person (arm and side of head) behind the older guy. we might even have enough visual info here to identify him from the cast members wh have not yet had a role in the first ten parts.
I don't think thats a third person. The arm seems to be 'Moby's', and the hair of the 'third person' is really very straight and symmetric - possible, but could be some wall fixing or the like. As for the possible shoulder/side to the right of 'Moby' - it is too straight.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jonah wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Jonah wrote: I don't see anything....? But I thought the actress walked up that hallway in a very strange manner.

I see it now! Hmmm - and the way she's walking and looking warily at the door. Looks like maybe they meant to put some CGI in here? Of a spirit? But didn't.
Yeah it's very difficult to catch, but it seems on purpose. The scene is clearly slowed down a little bit.

wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
Spoiler:
sycamore wrote:
nick1218 wrote:
Its Moby! he was in the ep two times :)
here's the same image with a little exposure/shadow/highlight work in photoshop. definitely a trenchcoat, definitely a third person (arm and side of head) behind the older guy. we might even have enough visual info here to identify him from the cast members wh have not yet had a role in the first ten parts.
I don't think thats a third person. The arm seems to be 'Moby's', and the hair of the 'third person' is really very straight and symmetric - possible, but could be some wall fixing or the like. As for the possible shoulder/side to the right of 'Moby' - it is too straight.
And 'Moby' looks a bit like Robert Heinlein, who is heavily referenced in Hasting's web site. Of course, Heinlein died in '88, but that never stopped anything in the Twin Peaks world.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Challenging, incredible episode - highly involving.

I really appreciate the discussion of violence against women, sylvia_north 's post was fantastic.

My only real gripe with this instalment was the autotune added to an otherwise gorgeous song & performance. Why oh why?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Soolsma wrote:Nah... Albert is a good guy.. I find some of Gordon and Albert's interaction akin to Coop and Harry's; a true bond of trust and companionship. Gordon has a very strong intuition, he noticed something was up with DoppelCoop and felt something in Diane's hug, not to mention he envisioned Laura(!). I don't think he misjudged Albert.

Just because Diane seems to be having a double agenda does not mean it's because she is just simply evil and deceitful. I think things are a little more complicated than that. DoppelCoop may have some weight on her.

Also, Albert volunteered his wrongdoing to Cole whereas Diane has yet to mention it.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

wxray wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:
Spoiler:
sycamore wrote:
And 'Moby' looks a bit like Robert Heinlein, who is heavily referenced in Hasting's web site. Of course, Heinlein died in '88, but that never stopped anything in the Twin Peaks world.
My wild prediction is here is that it's the Heinrich Viegel that is mentioned on the website as an occasional contributor, and that it is this Viegel (working for the doppelgänger) that led Hastings and Davenport to be able to enter whatever place it is they entered to 'meet the Major'. I said last week I was wary of the Hastings plot line, not least because I found it hard to believe someone like him could have found his way there in the first place. But if he was only ever a pawn in the whole thing, effectively sent there by proxy, that could make me start liking it again.