Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Ragnell »

mtwentz wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
asmahan wrote:What is it about this particularepisode that somehow crosses the line though??? Seriously? Miriam's death wasn't handled in a particularly gratuitous manner, the Stephen/Becky scene was also not graphic, very brief and was meant to garner sympathy for Becky... Nothing remotely as violent as Spike's hit on Lorraine, for example. Undeniably, it's valid to analyze the gender politics of the series, whether or not Lynch/Frost are trying to "say something". Personally, I don't believe any of the scenes so far have been genuinely exploitative or gratuitous.

Honestly, I didn't think so either. For me the introduction of Richard and him threatening that girl was the most upsetting scene when it came to women. But I think, for a lot of people, the line was Sylvia. Sylvia is an older woman, Richard's GRANDMOTHER, and he chokes her, yells at her, threatens her son, steals from her, and calls her the C-word. That's abusing a woman, abusing an elder, a step above abusing his mother, terrorizing her, and using foul gendered language. That scene is like a checklist of terrifying, abusive things and I can see how it was too much for some people. Especially when its preceded by introducing Sylvia as the caregiver for a now-injured son, and followed by that conversation with Ben that establishes she's a) divorced, and b) Ben is apparently (APPARENTLY, because maybe his ethics break will include being willing to use his influence to take measures against Richard now?) not able or willing to defend her.

All of this with the added trauma of watching poor Johnnie witness this, try desperately to help his mother and be restrained from it. (Which may be a metaphor for how the whole town, including Ben, is restrained by ethics, fear, or corrupt interference from stopping Richard.)

And it's Richard. We already saw Richard attack a woman and leave her for dead this ep. (And I was grateful we didn't actually see him attack Miriam in the trailer). Previously we've seen Richard threaten rape on two girls in the roadhouse, and run a young child over in the street. It's a distinct possibility that Richard is the result of the season villain raping the most popular female character on the show. We learned he has Chad interfering with attempts to bring him to justice.

Richard is just an upsetting character, and this was his most upsetting scene. This was the most upsetting scene in the ep for me (Johnnie put it over the top there.) I don't want just anyone to get Richard. I want COOPER to get Richard now.

Because Richard is a bully. Richard is afraid of Red, Richard is paying off the cops to keep the good guys off his tail, but Richard violently terrorizes, assaults, threatens, and kills woman, children, the elderly, and the disabled even if they are in his own family. And one of the reasons I love Cooper is he is immune to bullies, and disgusted by guys like Richard.

*Ahem* But anyway. Richard's basically a character that embodies the horror of misogyny, domestic abuse, and small scale tyranny. He's a wild, rich bully with no empathy. He probably tortured animals as a child. In a scene with violence against a woman, the effect is amplified when the perpetrator is a guy like Richard because you know the motive is he's trying to secure his own power by robbing that woman of hers. It's perfectly understandable that people find that upsetting, and that it may seem gratuitous since so far Richard isn't really involved or connected to the main Cooper plot. (Except, of course, by his first name and the possibility that the most popular female character from the original series was raped. Which is just more upsetting.)
I think that's one thing we can all agree on: Richard is a bastard. Figuratively and probably literally too!
And what's really sad is that this might be because Ben is on the straight and narrow now. One thing we've seen repeatedly with the Horne storyline is that they are lost, injured, and endangered and Ben hasn't helped when they've called. Jerry is having a terrible trip and has been lost in the woods for DAYS by now, and the first person he called was Ben. Ben couldn't even understand him. Johnnie injured himself in the house, the house that is not the Great Northern, now that he seems to only be under his mother's care. Before, he did have servants and a psychologist on call to help with Johnnie. Sylvia even brings up Ben when Richard assaults her, she says "Why don't you ask your Grandfather? Because he won't give you any any more," showing that Ben is the remaining wall against Richard, but when Sylvia calls Ben all that happens is bickering and Ben's next move is to try and relieve his stress rather than rein in his grandson. And Audrey, who USED to be the rebel, is god knows where. But back in the original series, when Audrey was in trouble Ben was able to get Cooper to rescue her.

In the original series, Ben had a dysfunctional family, but they were all under the same roof and he managed to provide and care for them all with his shadiness. Now Ben's managed to become a good, honest man, but his family is scattered and he's unable to protect them. He's unable to reign in the new family rebel, who has become a thousand times worse than Audrey ever had the potential to be.

I suspect, thinking about it, that whatever end comes to Richard may be initiated by Ben somehow. Maybe Ben calls Audrey back from wherever and she managed to put an end to Richard's behavior. Or Ben reopens his underworld connections or finally uses some of the good guy connections he has. Bobby Briggs used to work for Ben, that's a string to pull at the Sheriff's office. Maybe when Cooper gets to Twin Peaks, Ben offers to waive some of the price of the room if he ferrets out whichever deputy is covering for Richard.

Either way, Richard seems to have come about because the head of the family lost his influence over them, and has let them scatter. I'm getting the impression fatherhood is a big theme this season, the need for good, attentive fatherhood rather than the corrupt fatherhood we saw all over the original series. Frank Truman having lost his son. Major Briggs having faith in Bobby and the foresight to prepare him. Dale vs Dougie as a father. I think that the Horne plotline ties into this, showing Ben hasn't truly straightened out because he's put his personal ethics together but allowed his family to fall apart.
Last edited by Ragnell on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

My thoughts on the actual part itself:

I was initially hesitant early on, as I did not enjoy Part 9 much at all, and some of the early expositional elements felt poorly plotted - characters saying things like 'you remember my arch enemies the Michum brothers?' and the talk about the insurance fraud was very cringe-worthily scripted to me. I'm consistently surprised that such a thing could be penned by as accomplished writers as Frost and Lynch together, and Lynch's will to indulge such literal plodding plot points a bit surprising. I'll always remember the section where Cole slowly and painstakingly explains the 'yrev very good to see you' line for the audience.

However, as the part went on I enjoyed it more and more. Richard Horne is brilliant, and Becky's boyfriend has proved to be the same. I wish there was even more focus on these young characters in Twin Peaks than there is. Candy was also brilliant, and Amy Shields performed the role perfectly - she is funny and enchanting. My favourite part was Cole's vision of Laura - this made me sit up in both shock and wonder. The elements of mystery surrounding this vision, Cole's drawings, and Cole in general is one of the most interesting threads in the show to me. Equally the Log Lady's appearance was touching and her monologue mysterious and built up excitement for whats to come.

Watching TPTR can be quite pressured - knowing that there's a finite number of episodes left for our favourite show can make it tough. When a part such as part 9 (for me) is less exciting (particularly after the spectacular Part 8 ), it can feel extra disappointing since its one part of a limited number remaining. I've resisted any rewatches so far, and I feel after its all over its gonna much more relaxing and perhaps enjoyable to rewatch the series knowing its conclcusion, assuming its great.

Excited for what's to come.
Last edited by firefly2193 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

BOB1 wrote:I sincerely hope you are right about Becky & co. coming back to us with more. SOON. Cause I was very disappointed (I mean: profoundly! :)) when this very good scene had no follow-up in this episode. They hung up the thread for 5 episodes and then came back for a moment and that's it?! I don't like it. But if they come back on topic soon in the next episode, I'll forgive them 8)
I feel confident that we'll learn more about Becky, but I wouldn't even begin to predict when. I'm loving the insane structure of this show, but that might be because I'm very interested in art that basically gives no quarter and takes its audience's total concentration and infinite patience for granted. The rhythm of this thing is a marvel and I expect I'll be analyzing it with wonder for the rest of my days.
Another owl

Post by Another owl »

Jasper wrote:
Another owl wrote:Did you all realize that, with 18 episodes, we'll have more screen time of Dougie than Cooper, right?
I think that's been the assumption, yes. That said, this is a very broad story with an ensemble cast, and as various disparate elements begin to converge, it's possible that regular will Cooper have more and more screen time, so it's not necessarily true that there will be more Dougie-Coop, especially when we factor in Cooper appearing a lot in episodes two and three. Personally, I'm enjoying both Dougie-Coop and the resultant Dougie-Coop angst.
Copper did say nothing in episodes two and three, c'mon. And, in number of episodes, Dougie will have more. In 10 episodes, more tha half of the total, we did get nothing of the old Cooper. Not his manners, or his insights, or the clever talking. Nothing of the things we love about the carachter. I'm justing poitinig that, yes, it's still a good show and all, but perhaps Lynch it's beeing a little over the top with his "I'm not gonna give what the public want".
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Another owl wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Another owl wrote:Did you all realize that, with 18 episodes, we'll have more screen time of Dougie than Cooper, right?
I think that's been the assumption, yes. That said, this is a very broad story with an ensemble cast, and as various disparate elements begin to converge, it's possible that regular will Cooper have more and more screen time, so it's not necessarily true that there will be more Dougie-Coop, especially when we factor in Cooper appearing a lot in episodes two and three. Personally, I'm enjoying both Dougie-Coop and the resultant Dougie-Coop angst.
Copper did say nothing in episodes two and three, c'mon. And, in number of episodes, Dougie will have more. In 10 episodes, more tha half of the total, we did get nothing of the old Cooper. Not his manners, or his insights, or the clever talking. Nothing of the things we love about the carachter. I'm justing poitinig that, yes, it's still a good show and all, but perhaps Lynch it's beeing a little over the top with his "I'm not gonna give what the public want".
And he seems so close to snapping through, honestly.

I don't think I'll be upset if, minute by minute, it adds up to more Dougie-Dale than Awake Dale. I will be upset if this awakening isn't worth this buildup. I mean, we've passed some pretty good opportunities with the coffee, and the assassination attempt and the sex. There's not much left for a truly satisfying wake up. (He still has to witness a tragedy, or help a person in true need.) And I will be pretty unhappy if the main villain, Doppelcoop, needs to be dispatched BEFORE we get Cooper to wake up. Because that means it'll be one of the last things we get, and we won't get to see Cooper truly confront the Dweller on the Threshold. Because Cooper was his full self when he saw his shadowself in the Black Lodge, and he lost. I really feel there needs to be a rematch. Not necessarily a ridiculous CGI fistfight or what have you... but a confrontation where Dale manages to conquer his shadowself through the strength of his own mind, heart, and sense of self. I'm good with even a verbal confrontation that ends with a cliche "You have no power or me" or "I accept you" but I need to see Real Dale SUCCEED against his doppelganger, not be freed when the thing is finally defeated.
Last edited by Ragnell on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

It took me a few minutes to realize that Richard would be Audrey's son. So when do we get to see Audrey? And how do we know she married John Justice Wheeler??
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

And how about if she has been in a coma for the last 25 (26) years?... And had a child while in a coma?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

The way Laura's death continues to be so significant this many years later is something that I really love. It's such a profound message: Every single life and death is immeasurably important, yet the way humans often treat each other betrays this, as though we're all disposable to one another. Nonetheless, the eternal value of a life cannot be overlooked or ignored, nothing can be made to "go away", and everything we do or don't do affects everything that follows.

Esselgee wrote:I was hoping the doctor's visit would reveal that "Dougie" had been shot. Does Cooper no longer have that wound? Did the doctor and his wife just not notice?

He should have a knife wound too, right?
Physically this isn't Cooper. The man born as Dale Cooper is currently icing shady individuals across the world and conducting experimental studies involving portals to other dimensions (or states of mind). You might call it undercover work.

The Brown Lodge wrote:So Diane is dirty and Richard is Audreys son. Who'd have thunk it?
Somehow I don't think it will be this straightforward at all. Sure hope not anyway. She's probably setting Dale up or possibly -- given how little respect she has for the FBI at the moment -- trying to exact her own revenge without them knowing about it.

ThumbsUp wrote:God, with the chipper teddy bear on repeat in the background. I felt so sad and powerless and on edge during that scene. This show is just so good.
It was so frustrating that I couldn't help but yell, "Come on! Fucking untie Johnny already!" like some idiot talking out loud in a theater, caught up in everything.

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:So Diane is dirty and Richard is Audreys son. Who'd have thunk it?
And Stephen is violent to Becky.

When will the good side start kicking some butt?
Just based on personal experience, the good are outnumbered by the bad, and more often than not the bad go unchecked, even if just because passive individuals who are not bad are still cowardly or incurious enough to indirectly let evil reign.

mtwentz wrote:So DoppelCiop is the anonymous billionaire?
It makes sense too! At the outset I was thinking that whoever has this experiment going must be totally callous due to the enormous potential for something terrible happening to anyone on site.

blue_tomorrows wrote:I have to say that Janey-E acting that way in the context of this episode also really undermined one of the VERY few female characters in this show with any intelligence or self-respect.
She just wants to have a little fun with her man. Is that so wrong?

FlyingSquirrel wrote:On the positive side re: female characters, anyone else think Lucy might have caught on to what Chad was up to? I was reminded of how she eavesdropped on Bobby and Mike in the original series pilot, and when Chad started looking through the envelopes where she might have been able to see it, I couldn't help but think, "Underestimate Lucy at your peril."
Heck yeah. The way it played to me is that she saw right through his purposefully distracting small talk, and totally saw what he did outside. Wouldn't it be the greatest if her intuitive glance out the window leads to this piece of shit getting caught with the letter?

Hester Prynne wrote:- Have really enjoyed Season 3 so far, but this is the first time I've had reservations and some disappointment in L/F.

The violence against women was off the charts in this episode
This show has always portrayed violence against a wide range of characters from both sexes. My two cents is that David Lynch and Mark Frost never portray violence as a good thing, and that the focus on the terrible treatment of Becky and Candie, for example, is there to illustrate how people actually treat the ones closest to them. It is hard to watch, but that's the point. It gets you upset and hopefully calls you to action, even if the action in question is merely you not ignoring signs when you suspect someone is in trouble.

Remember Laura's funeral, and what Bobby said? Everyone knew she was in trouble but no one did a thing about it. There's a very important message here. It's crucial in fact. The butterfly effect, empathy and compassion, and stepping up to the plate when someone is in trouble: These are things we're being asked to more than simply consider.

Declining to give a little in the name of rescuing another from a personal hell is just disgusting. Greedily hoarding the dream for oneself, even if subconsciously, is the product of succumbing to fear in the face of putting ourselves at risk. But to bail out thinking that "someone else" will stand up and take charge is deceptive, 'cause if everyone passes the responsibility off to "someone else", we're collectively turning our backs when individually letting ourselves off the hook, and in turn, abandoning a precious life to unending nightmares.

This isn't just entertainment, the story actually ties in to reality on physical, emotional, and spiritual levels, and that's why it feels so important and so relevant. There is a ton of truth being communicated and I'm impressed and even amazed after every new chapter.

BigEd wrote:The very phrase "anonymous billionaire" makes no sense. If the sponsor of the room is anonymous, nobody knows how much money he has (or where the money is coming from). I know that is the phrase that was used in one of the earlier episodes, but I wrote it off as just those characters making an assumption or repeating a rumor.

We now know Coop is involved, but it doesn't take a billion dollars to rent a crappy room in an old building, build a glass box and install a bunch of video equipment.
Well to get all pedantic about it, nobody said it did cost a billion dollars, they were simply trying to describe the mysterious individual who set the experiment up.

douglasb wrote:However much the Major is being celebrated in the story, I still can't reconcile the idea that intelligent people thought it would be fine and dandy to portray it in such a way, knowing Don Davis' family will watch. What next - Audrey Hepburn's naked body in a Tarantino film?
Not sure that I can follow this logic, because it's not Don Davis' body being portrayed in the same way that Don Davis didn't go to the Black Lodge nor did he father Bobby Briggs. It's a tribute to him if anything, because the character he portrayed is very active in the storyline and has even appeared to deliver a message to Agent Cooper.

Framed_Angel wrote:I was moving my browser's cue Fast-forward through the latter part of del Rio's song and lingering on the stills just to see if any more action WAS going to take place! ; )
Yep, after a couple of minutes I said, "Don't tell me this is it", and began jumping forward, desperate for more story!

Jacob wrote:If Dougie was a girl and Janey-E a man, everyone would be screaming rape. Let's be honest one second.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. You're depicting an imaginary scenario that simply involves an unnamed man and an unnamed and incapacitated woman. Be more specific and parallel the events and characters from this story, but switch the genders, and it comes off much the same as what was depicted to begin with. Remember, they are -- in her mind -- married and in love, as troubled as things may have been at various points. Given his past episodes, this may even be a semi regular occurrence.

mtwentz wrote:I don't think anyone has any answers to your questions, but the guy who Andy was supposed to talk to is presumed to be either dead or in hiding.
The Farmer received the same treatment that Miriam did if I had to bet on it. That lingering shot of his door, and now hers, implies they have met the same fate.

Cipher wrote:For a quick thought experiment, imagine if nearly every black character in a larger work were used solely to show the impact of racism, to the point of three bleak instances of it in one hour. I'm not saying Peaks is there yet, but there is a point at which a work can move past a position of unflinchingly portraying a reality to one of being bleakly reductive.
First off, Jade is not isolated or unique as a black person in an otherwise caucasian story. Off the top of my head, there was the physical education teacher at Twin Peaks High bringing Nadine onto the wrestling team and initiating a lesson between her and Mike, Colonel Riley arriving to investigate the disappearance of Major Briggs, FBI Agent Roger Hardy visiting to suspend Dale from Bureau and conducting a review of his activities, and the Great Northern employee working with Audrey Horne and voicing his suspicions about her not paying her dues and striding directly into upper management.

None of these roles stand out as stereotypes of African Americans, nor do they reduce or demean race, ethnicity, or color.

Secondly, Jade isn't the first character portrayed in this line of work (think of One Eyed Jack's for example), so implications that her race is related to her profession are unwarranted, since by extension such logic would apply to Laura (as well as Ronette and Teresa among others).

In any case, she was portrayed in a positive light and came off as upstanding and considerate, so if there's a discriminating factor in the casting or writing, I obviously missed it.

Cipher wrote:But Twin Peaks: The Return, with its expanded focus, needs to make clear that cosmic darkness can take forms other than violence against women, and that women can exist as something other than victims to it (and while we do have active female characters, the balance still seems off).
But how people mistreat each other and the world in general is at the root of the worst things that have ever occurred in any recorded history. Though this story focuses on demons / supernatural entities / extradimensional beings, people exploiting, victimizing, or somehow ruling over others is one of the biggest flaws of humankind and one of the main struggles that every individual must overcome.

If the balance between active and passive females depicted seems off to you, well then isn't this a direct statement? It sure looks like an illustration of the most common form of modern day oppression to me: domestic, behind closed doors, and against people who typically rely on the abuser for food and shelter. There's nothing wrong with mirroring the problems that plague the times we live in. As I stated above, it could even be regarded as a call to action.

Also since this is the third visit to a larger story, I think it's only fair to assess the entire cast of characters across all three seasons when performing this sort of analysis. And of course we'll probably see a shift in the balance by the time this particular tale is complete.
krishnanspace wrote:Cooper was wearing a bulletproof vest.He never got shot
He lifted the vest to deal with a deer tick and subsequently both Cooper and the tick took one bullet while the other two bullets impacted the vest.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Another owl wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Cooper did speak in parts 1, 2, and 3, even if it was limited to little bit of dialogue like “It is?” “I understand.” “Where is this? Where are we?”

I don't think Lynch and Frost said that they were simply "not going to give the public what they want." They had the ideas that they had. These weren't obvious ideas, and I like that. That's what I mean by dashing of expectations. I don't mean that they thought "Screw the public!"

As far as Cooper in parts 1-3, yes, I fully perceive and enjoy that as being Cooper (albeit Cooper wandering deep in his unconscious). If we don’t consider this to be the “real” Cooper (prior to the transfer into Vegas), then we can’t consider it to be real Cooper in the lodge in ep. 29, FWWM, and TMP. Personally I've always enjoyed the lodge scenes in episode 29 as being some of the best Cooper that there is.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Esselgee wrote:I was hoping the doctor's visit would reveal that "Dougie" had been shot. Does Cooper no longer have that wound? Did the doctor and his wife just not notice?

He should have a knife wound too, right?
Physically this isn't Cooper. The man born as Dale Cooper is currently icing shady individuals across the world and conducting experimental studies involving portals to other dimensions (or states of mind). You might call it undercover work.
He came out of the Lodge with his Great Northern room key. Physically this is Cooper.

I think all 3 have the same scars, which have faded so much there's no point in applying makeup to show them on Kyle, given the camera angle. And if Dougie did have those scars, but never was able to adequately explain them, they would not only not be noteworthy but would put the idea its a different man even FURTHER from Dr. Ben and Janey-E's minds.
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Somehow I don't think it will be this straightforward at all. Sure hope not anyway. She's probably setting Dale up or possibly -- given how little respect she has for the FBI at the moment -- trying to exact her own revenge without them knowing about it.
I had a thought. Maybe she's known for a while Doppelcoop is an imposter, but believes he has Good Dale captive somewhere where he can HURT him. Exactly when and how she got convinced of this I don't have a guess for... but its a possibility that would lead to her passing him info without being evil.
Last edited by Ragnell on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I'm glad I haven't been counting the episodes that Dougie turns back to "cooper". It might not even happen. I think being trapped in the lodges has a ever lasting effect...25 years stuck in a place like that, no one could recover fully in my mind...but we will see which is fun. Worrying about that would ruin a beautiful story for me. So would arguing about sexism when we're just watching art, its going to raise questions. This isnt PC Twin Peaks...

I love love loved seeing Cole having Laura Palmer visions. I hope Laura is in the rest of the episodes more and more.

If that letter with a different last name is just an error...its a really bad error...I hope its the wrong letter. I also thought Lucy was going to bust him for taking the letter right away.

I still wonder who was the girl that swallowed the Frogbug...and I want to know more about the Frogbugs.

I'm so happy Twin Peaks is here....the wait was so long.

I'm going to write a letter to Showtime after the series is over. I never write letters like this, never have. But i want to voice my desire for more Twin Peaks/Lynch. Spare no expense.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

TwinsPeak wrote:I'm glad I haven't been counting the episodes that Dougie turns back to "cooper". It might not even happen. I think being trapped in the lodges has a ever lasting effect...25 years stuck in a place like that, no one could recover fully in my mind...but we will see which is fun.
It may be more than just the time. If we consider a person to be comprised of body-spirit-soul, then maybe only the soul truly exists in the black/white lodges. Spirit (mind) may be trapped on earth and if there is only one Coop spirit, it may be with evil coop for now. That may be why only one is supposed to be in our world at any given time. DougieCoop may be a soul without a spirit. Remember in episode 29 the discussion about souls. The Doppleganger wanted Coop's soul in exchange for releasing Annie (IIRC). How does this all fit together?? I haven't a clue... :lol:
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Ooh.. something just hit me.

Doppelcoop was in a car crash. Examined by medics. So part of the identification would be a medical file. Not having evidence of the gunshot or the stabwound would be grounds to believe he's not really Cooper... but Tammy has to view the fingerprints. Cole has to call in Diane.

Albert never MENTIONS the wounds or checking for them, which implies that they are accounted for by the medics who examined him after the car crash.

So, if Doppelcoop has those wounds... Dougie would too.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

firefly2193 wrote:My thoughts on the actual part itself:

I was initially hesitant early on, as I did not enjoy Part 9 much at all, and some of the early expositional elements felt poorly plotted - characters saying things like 'you remember my arch enemies the Michum brothers?' and the talk about the insurance fraud was very cringe-worthily scripted to me. I'm consistently surprised that such a thing could be penned by as accomplished writers as Frost and Lynch together, and Lynch's will to indulge such literal plodding plot points a bit surprising. I'll always remember the section where Cole slowly and painstakingly explains the 'yrev very good to see you' line for the audience.

However, as the part went on I enjoyed it more and more. Richard Horne is brilliant, and Becky's boyfriend has proved to be the same. I wish there was even more focus on these young characters in Twin Peaks than there is. Candy was also brilliant, and Amy Shields performed the role perfectly - she is funny and enchanting. My favourite part was Cole's vision of Laura - this made me sit up in both shock and wonder. The elements of mystery surrounding this vision, Cole's drawings, and Cole in general is one of the most interesting threads in the show to me. Equally the Log Lady's appearance was touching and her monologue mysterious and built up excitement for whats to come.

Watching TPTR can be quite pressured - knowing that there's a finite number of episodes left for our favourite show can make it tough. When a part such as part 9 (for me) is less exciting (particularly after the spectacular Part 8 ), it can feel extra disappointing since its one part of a limited number remaining. I've resisted any rewatches so far, and I feel after its all over its gonna much more relaxing and perhaps enjoyable to rewatch the series knowing its conclcusion, assuming its great.

Excited for what's to come.
I'm pretty sure the dialogue you mention is supposed to be funny in an obvious soap opera-y kind of way. I laughed heartily at the lines you mentioned and think they're on point, purposely constructed with humor in mind.

And I know exactly what you mean about the pressure of watching this thing, knowing there's so little left and wanting certain things to happen. Take it from me, every part I've rewatched has gotten better once I knew what to expect from it and was able to relax while watching it.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Wanna talk about Lynch, Frost and their treatment of women? Here you go!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3700

You may bring up that topic in this thread but only if it directly relates to Part 10. I'm tired of the complaints.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM