Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by dustoff »

mtwentz wrote:It's a nice debate to have. Best newcomer to Twin Peaks:
Eamon?
Amy?
Matthew?

Any other nominees?
I'm gonna incur the wrath of most everyone else here an put forward Tammy as my nominee...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

dustoff wrote:
mtwentz wrote:It's a nice debate to have. Best newcomer to Twin Peaks:
Eamon?
Amy?
Matthew?

Any other nominees?
I'm gonna incur the wrath of most everyone else here an put forward Tammy as my nominee...
Well, tbh, I think she is starting to grow on people a little, though I still would not nominate her for 'Best New Actor in the Continuation of a 25 Year Old Series'.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I actually like Agent Tammy Preston's self-conscious awkwardness. Also, I don't necessarily think it's a reflection on Chrysta Bell's acting; plenty of honest-to-goodness real-life-people have this kind of hyper-vigilance about their own posture, gait and comportment. To call it fakery or whatever calls up a whole load of surface/depth inner/outer problems that no-one has a clear answer to. My point of view is that people are what they do, and tend to become who they most pretend to be. Bell's character may or may not have a lot of Bell in her, who's to say? Tammy Preston is for me a welcome addition to the TP team and a damn fine agent of the Bureau.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My response to Part 10: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/07/ ... s-one.html. Just realized I hadn't shared it till now! I was fairly positive on it last Sunday, but I feel like in the following week frustrations began to emerge. Two sort of plotty, low-key episodes following the explosive part 8 weren't exactly what I was looking for...
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Could there be a connection between Rebekah del Rio's exceptionally large chest and DougieCoop's CGI abs?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Wait wait wait, are Coop's abs actually CGI or is this just a running joke??
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Snailhead wrote:Wait wait wait, are Coop's abs actually CGI or is this just a running joke??
LOL, we should add that to the "List of Unsolved Mysteries" thread!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

But seriously, does Lynch make a point about masculinity and femininity? Or is this just the way that Kyle/Rebekah look?

Especially with Rebekah: I understand that some women have larger breasts than others. But I felt they were unusally large. Maybe there is also a connection with the hyper-feminine Tammy-walk?
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Rhodes wrote:But seriously, does Lynch make a point about masculinity and femininity? Or is this just the way that Kyle/Rebekah look?

Especially with Rebekah: I understand that some women have larger breasts than others. But I felt they were unusally large. Maybe there is also a connection with the hyper-feminine Tammy-walk?
I read it as strategic essentialism /mimesis [1]. With Lynch we sometimes get something like a hyper-norm that instead of simply reproducing stereotypes tends to lampshade them, highlighting the gap between socially expected appearance and the assumption of that appearance. A good topic for the gender thread.

[1] Donovan, S. K. 'Luce Irigaray' [webpage] 'Major Themes: Mimesis', Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: A Peer-reviewed Academic Resource, available at http://www.iep.utm.edu/irigaray/#SH4a accessed 26th July 2017
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Shloogorgh wrote:the gold foil in Johnny's bear's mouth makes me think of a mouth filled to the brim with garmonbozia
I totally thought the same thing!! :?:
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:the gold foil in Johnny's bear's mouth makes me think of a mouth filled to the brim with garmonbozia
I totally thought the same thing!! :?:

It's makes me think of electricity. And if metal fillings can pick up radio waves. Johnny's mouth could be receiving all kinds of transmissions
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Thought this was an excellent episode. I'm really enjoying the series, as much as I could have hoped for. I actually feel very sorry for the group of people who aren't enjoying it (for whatever reason).

I've loved twin peaks ever since it first appeared on TV (I was ten!) - love the film, have the soundtracks and Julee Cruise albums, the books. But for me this new series is as good as anything that's gone before. In fact it's as good as anything I've ever seen on tv.

I'm hoping the last batch of episodes keep the quality up. My only worry is if it ends on a wacky/out there ending rather than giving us closure!!
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

cgs027 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
4815162342 wrote:
I think it's just a prop error. It happens.
I also believe it's an error. The original series was made before one could freeze a hi-def image on one's computer screen and over-analyze the contents of every shot to the nth degree. I guess it would be a nice Easter egg if this was intentionally done so that viewers who analyze every shot that closely could discover it, but I just don't think that much thought was put into a prop ahead of time. On a show where we've seen different people appear and disappear in the same scene in the diner and airplane windows appear and disappear and Richard Horne's hands looking weird when he grabs the young girl by the throat and the door shimmer that despite all the speculation on here I don't think will ever be referenced again, I don't know why this also couldn't be something unintentional.

As for the same day arrival, well, who's to say it's the same day? People have been driving me insane for eleven thousand pages on here saying "Vegas is taking place in a different week! Hawk in the woods is a flash forward! Every scene is taking place on a different day at a different time than every other scene! Dougie lives in 2003!" This has been going on to the point of absurdity. Now all the same people want to say with absolute certainty Richard learning about the letter and Chad intercepting the letter happened without question, without debate, on the same day? You can't have it both ways!

I said a few pages back that writing a letter to "Sheriff Truman" and "Sheriff's Station" is the same thing, but several more people have continued to post that it can't be the same letter because it doesn't say "Sheriff Truman". I think that's too literal an interpretation.

If it does end up being revealed Chad intercepted the wrong letter, it will be an incredibly weak plot twist because A) No one is named Miriam anymore, and B) No one writes letters anymore, so the odds of two different people named Miriam each writing a letter to Sheriff Truman (or at least to the Sheriff's Station) within say 24 hours of each other is a billion to one. So, I'm actually hoping Chad got the right letter, and the name thing is just an unfortunate mistake, because if its' really a different letter, it would be very lame, narrative-wise.
Agreed, and don't forget about the "yrev" line being inconsistent. Mistakes happen, especially when shooting a "movie" of this length, where things are shot out of order, etc... Besides the fact -- I live in a small town, and I know that if I were to drop a letter at my local post office in the morning (and it was destined for a local address), it is VERY possible that it would arrive later that day.
CONFIRMED (via crew). Prop error.

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... 9776549888
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

cgs027 wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
I also believe it's an error. The original series was made before one could freeze a hi-def image on one's computer screen and over-analyze the contents of every shot to the nth degree. I guess it would be a nice Easter egg if this was intentionally done so that viewers who analyze every shot that closely could discover it, but I just don't think that much thought was put into a prop ahead of time. On a show where we've seen different people appear and disappear in the same scene in the diner and airplane windows appear and disappear and Richard Horne's hands looking weird when he grabs the young girl by the throat and the door shimmer that despite all the speculation on here I don't think will ever be referenced again, I don't know why this also couldn't be something unintentional.

As for the same day arrival, well, who's to say it's the same day? People have been driving me insane for eleven thousand pages on here saying "Vegas is taking place in a different week! Hawk in the woods is a flash forward! Every scene is taking place on a different day at a different time than every other scene! Dougie lives in 2003!" This has been going on to the point of absurdity. Now all the same people want to say with absolute certainty Richard learning about the letter and Chad intercepting the letter happened without question, without debate, on the same day? You can't have it both ways!

I said a few pages back that writing a letter to "Sheriff Truman" and "Sheriff's Station" is the same thing, but several more people have continued to post that it can't be the same letter because it doesn't say "Sheriff Truman". I think that's too literal an interpretation.

If it does end up being revealed Chad intercepted the wrong letter, it will be an incredibly weak plot twist because A) No one is named Miriam anymore, and B) No one writes letters anymore, so the odds of two different people named Miriam each writing a letter to Sheriff Truman (or at least to the Sheriff's Station) within say 24 hours of each other is a billion to one. So, I'm actually hoping Chad got the right letter, and the name thing is just an unfortunate mistake, because if its' really a different letter, it would be very lame, narrative-wise.
Agreed, and don't forget about the "yrev" line being inconsistent. Mistakes happen, especially when shooting a "movie" of this length, where things are shot out of order, etc... Besides the fact -- I live in a small town, and I know that if I were to drop a letter at my local post office in the morning (and it was destined for a local address), it is VERY possible that it would arrive later that day.

I checked your link and just found a bunch of people asking what the source is. Sounds like more internet silliness to me. Do you have a more specific link to a source?
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

BigEd wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
cgs027 wrote:

I checked your link and just found a bunch of people asking what the source is. Sounds like more internet silliness to me. Do you have a more specific link to a source?
He posted the guy's name if you want to check with him... I have no reason not to believe this, this account is pretty solid.

https://twitter.com/jake_martinez/statu ... 7914707968