Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Audrey Horne »

I've actually heard he is open to it, but it could be more in the sense of placating the actor asking. And in the sense of well, let's see how this one goes first. And that was a year and a half ago. Even if he wanted to with every fiber of his being, this outing took years of planning and then almost two years of filming and editing. And then the financing. But perhaps shorter runs like four or five episodes... Or parts, or sections (whatever he wants to call it). But I also get the sense that when Lynch and Frost constructed The Return there would be a sense of closure... But I'd imagine a Lynciah ambiguous closure, so they could always figure something out.

Edited to add, Pinky basically said the same thing already.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

I would love more episodes past the 18 but I wonder if as well as Frost/Lynch, whether Kyle would be happy to sign on again. He's had to seemingly carry a lot of the story so far and I'm not sure I'd like the grind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

KyleRickards wrote:whether Kyle would be happy to sign on again. He's had to seemingly carry a lot of the story so far and I'm not sure I'd like the grind.

Oh, c'mon - for any working actor something like this is a gift. Multiple roles, tons of opportunity to strut your stuff, a telepathic relationship with a director you've known since you began acting, your name in bigger letters than anyone else? He sure sounds enthusiastic about the possibility.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

[quote="h2nho"]Can we talk about Kyle MacLachlan somehow making sex funny? His face at the end made me burst out laughing.

Me too, that was hilarious and a classic moment.

My other favourite scenes this episode: Coop at the doctors :D
Laura's face when Cole saw it just brought it all back, the intensity the emotion. She looks like she's crying even harder and it was such an emotional scene.
Poor Johnny, so traumatic what happened to him. I also hope they get Richard Horne big time, I'm amazed he's got away with it thus far.
I also think JJ Wheeler and Audrey could be his parents by now, but I highly doubt it was Johnny. Could Johnny just be his Uncle.
Beautiful Rebekah Del Rio song at the end.
Lovely to see Margaret again. The fact she is saying "Laura is the one" makes me think of Laura's meeting with her in her secret diary. Perhaps her meeting with Laura led her to this conclusion.
The Angels will return...
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

KyleRickards wrote:I would love more episodes past the 18 but I wonder if as well as Frost/Lynch, whether Kyle would be happy to sign on again. He's had to seemingly carry a lot of the story so far and I'm not sure I'd like the grind.
Associated Press
Thursday, May 18, 2017
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... s-after-d/

When asked if the revival could give us even more than these 18 parts, Kyle said he thought chances were good. “Whether David and Mark feel compelled to write them, I don’t know. But I think he has more stories.”
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I like our chances of getting more Twin Peaks content.

What's funny is that Lynch and Frost could have, if they wanted to, exploited that old Twin Peaks style for all its worth and had a huge hit, but they chose instead to follow their current artistic interests.

So many shows have borrowed and imitated the old style, maybe it's pointless for them to return to it. However, I think there is a cash cow here waiting to be mined -- I'm not arguing that it should be, mind you.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Watched Part 10 again last night to try and relieve the torment of waiting for Part 11.

Loved it on a second viewing, despite finding it enjoyable but average on the first. I just really, really love Jim Belushi's performance. The comedy was very strong indeed in this one (as indeed were the darker elements).
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Something cool thats been found on the original series to do with this part.

On the Log Lady intro for the pilot she also mentions that.
Laura is the one.

This can not be just a coincidence that those words are said in that way so David & Mark even looked back on Log Lady intros when they wrote the new season.

Check it out for yourself to see.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Laura is the one probably means that she is special in some way, but Lynch also thinks of the "one" as representing the "all." Which is to say that Laura may just be a metonym for humanity. Or it could mean she somehow represents all reality.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

BigEd wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'd love for Lynch to keep making new TP, but I also think the universe is big enough and popular enough for a show that explores the world without him while remaining true to Lynch and Frost's vision.

Some fans, not necessarily me, want a more traditional narrative oriented version of Twin Peaks. A Bookhouse Boys show could be the right form for such a show.
Twin Peaks without Lynch is like macaroni without gravy. Bah!!!!!!
So....good? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

mtsi wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'd love for Lynch to keep making new TP, but I also think the universe is big enough and popular enough for a show that explores the world without him while remaining true to Lynch and Frost's vision.

Some fans, not necessarily me, want a more traditional narrative oriented version of Twin Peaks. A Bookhouse Boys show could be the right form for such a show.
Twin Peaks without Lynch is like macaroni without gravy. Bah!!!!!!
So....good? ;)
"Gravy" is simply a way of referring to any pasta sauce. So even cheese sauce or tomato sauce would be gravy.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I too thought it was a pun among the lines of "Twin Peaks without DL is like sardines without buttermilk''
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Did some of you folks not watch the Soprano's? :?:
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

BigEd wrote:Did some of you folks not watch the Soprano's? :?:
Why do you ask?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rewatched: Miriam was definitely still breathing in the trailer. Hmm.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.