Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

Agent Earle wrote:
BigEd wrote:Did some of you folks not watch the Soprano's? :?:
Why do you ask?
Because that's where some/most of us learned that pasta sauce was called "gravy." Hence my original comment regarding a TP without Lynch. Now back to Twin Peaks....
Last edited by BigEd on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

N. Needleman wrote:Rewatched: Miriam was definitely still breathing in the trailer. Hmm.
And we aren't shown her place blowing up, so for now at least, we are meant to wonder if she's actually dead.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Jasper wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:I would love more episodes past the 18 but I wonder if as well as Frost/Lynch, whether Kyle would be happy to sign on again. He's had to seemingly carry a lot of the story so far and I'm not sure I'd like the grind.
Associated Press
Thursday, May 18, 2017
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... s-after-d/

When asked if the revival could give us even more than these 18 parts, Kyle said he thought chances were good. “Whether David and Mark feel compelled to write them, I don’t know. But I think he has more stories.”
Thank you Jasper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

It could be just a filming error. It looked to me as if Darya was also still breathing after evil Cooper killed her. Miriam lost a lot of blood and I don't think Richard would have left without making sure she was really dead.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Jasper wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:I would love more episodes past the 18 but I wonder if as well as Frost/Lynch, whether Kyle would be happy to sign on again. He's had to seemingly carry a lot of the story so far and I'm not sure I'd like the grind.
Associated Press
Thursday, May 18, 2017
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... s-after-d/

When asked if the revival could give us even more than these 18 parts, Kyle said he thought chances were good. “Whether David and Mark feel compelled to write them, I don’t know. But I think he has more stories.”
Given some of the artistic themes we've seen repeated in TPTR, Lynch is in a position that pretty much any new ideas he has can be explored in the Twin Peaks context, if he so desires.

I'm not saying TPTR is anything so pedestrian as "evidence" that all Lynch films take place in the same universe; what I'm saying it that it's *possible* - which then makes it possible for future journeys to take place within the structure erected by TPTR.

No idea if this will happen. No idea if Lynch would want to do it this way. But he could if he wanted to (and honestly, he'd have a somewhat larger built-in audience than the Lynch fanatics - like me and many of the others here - who saw Inland Empire).
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

AudreyHorne wrote:It could be just a filming error. It looked to me as if Darya was also still breathing after evil Cooper killed her. Miriam lost a lot of blood and I don't think Richard would have left without making sure she was really dead.
At this point, if someone tripped and fell on the sidewalk and got up in Part 11, someone would say it was just a filming error and they were actually dead on the ground. Not everything's a filming error, and I think it's quite easy to see that she's breathing. I don't think Lynch would so obviously include something like that if it didn't contribute to the story. Twin Peaks has also been the site of multiple explosions (the bank, the mill, etc.) and we always see them happen or hear them happen, but that wasn't the case with this one. Therefore, it might not have happened yet.

EDIT: Also, from what I remember, the camera very consciously shows the broken glass where Richard punched through the front door to get into the trailer, so the gas may be escaping through there, resulting in no explosion. Is that something that could actually happen?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

h2nho wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote:It could be just a filming error. It looked to me as if Darya was also still breathing after evil Cooper killed her. Miriam lost a lot of blood and I don't think Richard would have left without making sure she was really dead.
At this point, if someone tripped and fell on the sidewalk and got up in Part 11, someone would say it was just a filming error and they were actually dead on the ground. Not everything's a filming error, and I think it's quite easy to see that she's breathing. I don't think Lynch would so obviously include something like that if it didn't contribute to the story. Twin Peaks has also been the site of multiple explosions (the bank, the mill, etc.) and we always see them happen or hear them happen, but that wasn't the case with this one. Therefore, it might not have happened yet.

EDIT: Also, from what I remember, the camera very consciously shows the broken glass where Richard punched through the front door to get into the trailer, so the gas may be escaping through there, resulting in no explosion. Is that something that could actually happen?
And also, if they meant to show she was dead why linger on the candle and the hiss of the gas? It was clear, he just incapacitated her and left the candle to finish the job. If she's meant to die, then next we'll hear about her trailer being found after the explosion, or the crime scene intact. But its clear she was alive when he left.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I thought Johnny was dead, but the kind people here pointed out he was breathing. I thought "filming error." I was wrong!

If the gas is propane, which is quite likely, it pools low to the floor. If the window is broken below the candle, it won't blow. However, someone disrupting the strata of gas could mix it high enough.

And then, of course, since propane pools low, it will displace all the oxygen at a low level. If Miriam doesn't snap out of it, she's dead simply from asphyxiation.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Hmmmm, weird that I was about to post that the intent is clearly to show she is dead or about to die, and her breathing is just the actor and David shooting quick and loose. But then me the week prior being a defender of Johnny not being dead. I'm clearly cherry picking!

But for her to be alive, for what end? To be a witness to point the finger to Richard? Narratively to provide the arc to get him arrested? Maybe. But I got the sense his arc is taking him away from Peaks, and this was a scene to show even more what a calculated monster he is. I guess we could have a scene in a hospital with quick exposition of Someone claiming to find her and her gasping it was Richard Horne... So then there becomes a full fledge manhunt for him. It seems the closer the action zeros in on Peaks, it will revolve around the police battling the drug ring. So I guess this makes sense that she survived. I fully expect Richard to be more involved with the supernatural elements of the show, but this could coincide with more of an urgency and tension for him for when he returns to the town, that the cops are after him. (I'm expecting Cooper, Mr. C and Richard all to be in Peaks in the final act.)
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Audrey Horne wrote:Hmmmm, weird that I was about to post that the intent is clearly to show she is dead or about to die, and her breathing is just the actor and David shooting quick and loose. But then me the week prior being a defender of Johnny not being dead. I'm clearly cherry picking!

But for her to be alive, for what end? To be a witness to point the finger to Richard? Narratively to provide the arc to get him arrested? Maybe. But I got the sense his arc is taking him away from Peaks, and this was a scene to show even more what a calculated monster he is. I guess we could have a scene in a hospital with quick exposition of Someone claiming to find her and her gasping it was Richard Horne... So then there becomes a full fledge manhunt for him. It seems the closer the action zeros in on Peaks, it will revolve around the police battling the drug ring. So I guess this makes sense that she survived. I fully expect Richard to be more involved with the supernatural elements of the show, but this could coincide with more of an urgency and tension for him for when he returns to the town, that the cops are after him. (I'm expecting Cooper, Mr. C and Richard all to be in Peaks in the final act.)
It's the same as the last name theory, its a chance to see Richard have screwed up in his coverup in this one and still be caught. I do think he's going to go down for this hit and run, there's a lot of threads out there to snap back on him and I think all of the open-ended clues we're seeing are driving this home. Somewhere in this, he'll slip up.

I do think we'll hear soon that Miriam's trailer exploded and she died in the explosion (my personal favorite theory is that Chad got the wrong letter, and that the real letter was sent to Harry's home and he'll tell Frank about it), but the thing was left open for now. As is tracing that truck back to Richard somehow, even without the Farmer. (Maybe he was caught on a camera in the woods?) He went to Sylvia to get money, probably to pay Chad for this coverup, and maybe her calling Ben will actually get Ben to do something about Richard.

I don't think these are being left open so we can specifically pinpoint the ONE thing, but so that they can show that things are spiralling out of his control and something he doesn't account for will trap him. So Miriam's death is not confirmed, that its the right letter is not confirmed...etc...
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

ever since they mentioned Bobby's camera, i've been waiting for some spooky motion detector cam footage.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, but his story I think involves so much more than the practical world, and that's why all Hus scenes are at the heightened extreme of evil instead of just local thug, screwup.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Pinky wrote:ever since they mentioned Bobby's camera, i've been waiting for some spooky motion detector cam footage.
Some part of me thinks it'll be when Cooper comes to town. I think it'd be funny if his car broke down and he had to walk through the woods and just encounter some of these storylines on the way. Poor Jerry lost in the woods. Chad waiting for Richard to make a payoff. Owls. Jacoby's trailer during a Dr. Amp broadcast or filming a cutaway clip for one. One of Jean-Michel Renault's "totally legitimate business" meetings. And the Sheriff's Dept only manages to get footage of Coop.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Richard told his Grandma that he needed cash because he was leaving town. Assuming he also leaves the state, maybe this brings in the FBI? Maybe he'll "fly the Coop" to Vegas! 8)

Also, since this IS Twin Peaks, there is only one possible outcome for Miriam. She will wind up in the hospital in a coma, and Richard will try to come in to kill and/or rape her. We'll have to assume that hospital security in the ICU still hasn't improved. Maybe Richard will run into Mr. C who has also returned to town and is also in the ICU to visit still-in-a-coma Audrey. Hey, some of you folks have said you miss the "soap opera" story lines. [Janey-E]Well, there you go![\Janey-E]. :lol:
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Ragnell wrote:
Pinky wrote:ever since they mentioned Bobby's camera, i've been waiting for some spooky motion detector cam footage.
Some part of me thinks it'll be when Cooper comes to town. I think it'd be funny if his car broke down and he had to walk through the woods and just encounter some of these storylines on the way. Poor Jerry lost in the woods. Chad waiting for Richard to make a payoff. Owls. Jacoby's trailer during a Dr. Amp broadcast or filming a cutaway clip for one. One of Jean-Michel Renault's "totally legitimate business" meetings. And the Sheriff's Dept only manages to get footage of Coop.
Nice! But you forgot "Andy still waiting for that guy with the truck to show up."