Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 10 - Laura is the one (SPOILERS)

Post by Deep Thought »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Physically this isn't Cooper. The man born as Dale Cooper is currently icing shady individuals across the world and conducting experimental studies involving portals to other dimensions (or states of mind). You might call it undercover work.
Welcome to the party, pal! Mr. Strawberry, I love your point of view, Thank you sir!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

I guess my other thought with Steven Burnett and my disappointment in episode 10 is... if he really is hitting Becky couldn't they have come up with something more original for this storyline? When Sheriff Truman had a substance abuse problem he didn't go around hitting women. So it would seem they are capable of doing something other than the violence against women thing if a male character has a drug problem.

There's plenty of other violence against women going on, so it would have been an opportunity to do something different with the Steven and Becky storyline... they could have shown a suffering young man who isn't violent against women. I'm hoping that there's some plot twists and surprises as to where this is going.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Hester Prynne wrote:So much in this season, we have seen a lot of people not acting or stepping in when they should - no one steps in to assist Dougie when he clearly is exhibiting signs of trouble (the Bill and Candy Shaker conversation), no one intervenes when Richard assaults the young lady at the Roadhouse, Beverly not acknowledging the emotional pain of her sick, possibly dying husband and his wanting to be with her during the little time he may have left in this world - those are just a few.
Yes, this ties in well with the idea that the town (and The Return in general) no longer has the familiar warmth. There is a distance and coldness to it all. Just to add to your list, Jerry is lost in the woods, and nobody cares.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Manwith wrote:I guess my other thought with Steven Burnett and my disappointment in episode 10 is... if he really is hitting Becky couldn't they have come up with something more original for this storyline? When Sheriff Truman had a substance abuse problem he didn't go around hitting women. So it would seem they are capable of doing something other than the violence against women thing if a male character has a drug problem.

There's plenty of other violence against women going on, so it would have been an opportunity to do something different with the Steven and Becky storyline... they could have shown a suffering young man who isn't violent against women. I'm hoping that there's some plot twists and surprises as to where this is going.
Violence.....against women......
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I think a couple of you may have missed the train. It departed earlier this afternoon. Have a nice ride.
Jerry Horne wrote:Wanna talk about Lynch, Frost and their treatment of women? Here you go!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3700

You may bring up that topic in this thread but only if it directly relates to Part 10. I'm tired of the complaints.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

The Gazebo wrote:
BigEd wrote: Looking forward to that "stormy" day (in LV?? :lol: ).
Yeah, I'm not an expert on US' meteorology, but I guess it doesn't happen too often, does it? Could become interesting. I generally love episodes that have some kind of exterior, atmospheric quality, like the "thunder and lightning" episode in season 2.
The US does have storms in some parts of the desert Southwest, but it is not common and is generally not part of a weather pattern that comes and goes in one day as depicted in episode ten. I think we are being sent a message here, and I believe whoever came up with the idea that each day represents an episode was onto something.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

I believe we were told discussions of the particular episode were still on topic. Y'now, the episode where a husband appears to be hitting his wife and a grandchild hits his grandmom.

If discussions of episodes where men hit women trouble you, maybe you shouldn't be watching Twin Peaks and trying to talk about it online? It's sort of what the plot is sometimes about.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Manwith wrote: If discussions of episodes where men hit women trouble you, maybe you shouldn't be watching Twin Peaks and trying to talk about it online? It's sort of what the plot is sometimes about.
That episode doesn't trouble me. It entertained me greatly.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Didn't Myriam say she told the Sheriff and mailed him a letter? Did I hear that wrong?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Didn't Myriam say she told the Sheriff and mailed him a letter? Did I hear that wrong?
She said she talked to the police and didn't understand why he hadn't been arrested. I guess we can assume she talked to Chad?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Didn't Myriam say she told the Sheriff and mailed him a letter? Did I hear that wrong?
She said she talked to the police and didn't understand why he hadn't been arrested. I guess we can assume she talked to Chad?
That plot seems a little unlikely. Wouldn't she naturally just call dispatch and tell them? Chad wouldn't be able to cover it up.
zmccain

Post by zmccain »

Was not happy with this episode at all. Too much focus on character and not enough on the plot. It felt like the type of episode that would have been the 3rd or 4th in a season. Really disappointed with the speed at which the season is going. Feels like a lot of wasted time to me. Watching a woman chase a fly around a room for 3 minutes? Just to do a tired and overused gag that's been around forever? How exciting will that be on a second viewing? Wasted time. 7, 8, and 9 were good. This one not so much IMO.

On the bright side we got some more Jacoby greatness. And a couple of neat, but short, scenes.

Really hoping it picks up the pace soon.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Manwith wrote:I guess my other thought with Steven Burnett and my disappointment in episode 10 is... if he really is hitting Becky couldn't they have come up with something more original for this storyline? When Sheriff Truman had a substance abuse problem he didn't go around hitting women. So it would seem they are capable of doing something other than the violence against women thing if a male character has a drug problem.

Yeah - I was surprised by that scene. I saw Steven as sort of a doped-up loser - not really a violent type. Granted we haven't seen a lot of his character, but I figured his home life was more just sitting on the sofa and getting high watching tv. It seemed too intentionally like the Shelly/Leo saga to me, but maybe like you said, there could be some other plot twists ahead.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Manwith wrote:
Ross wrote:
That plot seems a little unlikely. Wouldn't she naturally just call dispatch and tell them? Chad wouldn't be able to cover it up.
No. It doesn't work that way. If/when she notified the police, they would have sent an officer to talk to her. We're assuming that this was Chad (which further implies that he should have remembered her last name, but Chad is an idiot). Her story suggests that she was not impressed with how this happened and decided to follow up with a letter directly to the Sheriff as Jerry Horne suggested. That letter would not have been addressed generically to the "Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department." It would have been something like "Personal and confidential to Frank Truman."

The fact that they showed us the envelope is almost begging us to see that the last name doesn't match the credits. I can't understand why many are writing this off as a "prop error."
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

zmccain wrote:Watching a woman chase a fly around a room for 3 minutes? Just to do a tired and overused gag that's been around forever? How exciting will that be on a second viewing? Wasted time.
Well, I actually rewatched the entire episode, and (eye)Candie chasing the fly and whacking Mitchum was certainly enjoyable (if not "exciting") the second time. 8)