Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Mr. Reindeer

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:02 am

So that's it for Red, right? I can appreciate most of the season's dangling threads as slice-of-life/shaggy-dog storytelling, but this one feels egregious. While the Part 6 Red/Richard scene functions as its own standalone brilliantly weird thing, his two brief scenes with Shelly feel like set-up for SOMETHING.

I know people have been tough on Shelly for abandoning her family (briefly) during a crisis to smooch her boyfriend. But honestly, if my adult daughter had stolen my car and nearly killed me earlier in the day, I might not be in the most maternal mood either.

Even if I'd hated everything else in these 18 hours, I think S3 would be worth it for the moment when DKL yells, "Dirty...bearded...men...in a room!"

Knepper has some GREAT comic reactions whenever Bradley mentions his dream ("Aggh, the dream!" "Ah fuck."). Belushi also plays all this material to the hilt ("One...certain...thing." "Cherry piiiiiiieeeeeee"). I'm a little ambivalent about the murderous Mitchums being transformed into lovable scoundrels, and Coop giving them his seal of approval in Part 16, but they are undeniably a ton of fun to watch.

I really wish Badalamenti's upbeat piano compositions had been released. I enjoy it when he gets to write in various styles, but these in particular must have been a ball for him to write ("Italian restaurant background music"), and it shows.

Probably no significance, but the mother of the kid who fires the gun is credited as "Carrie."
eyeboogers

Postby eyeboogers » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:57 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:So that's it for Red, right? I can appreciate most of the season's dangling threads as slice-of-life/shaggy-dog storytelling, but this one feels egregious. While the Part 6 Red/Richard scene functions as its own standalone brilliantly weird thing, his two brief scenes with Shelly feel like set-up for SOMETHING."

I actually love how they left this one. Red smuggles Sparkle into Twin Peaks. This eventually leads to Shelley and Bobby's daughter being murdered by her Sparkle addict boyfriend. What will Shelley do when she realises Red's role in this? How will Bobby react. It leaves room to dream not to mention being explosive narrative ammunition should there be a season four.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:So that's it for Red, right? I can appreciate most of the season's dangling threads as slice-of-life/shaggy-dog storytelling, but this one feels egregious. While the Part 6 Red/Richard scene functions as its own standalone brilliantly weird thing, his two brief scenes with Shelly feel like set-up for SOMETHING."

I actually love how they left this one. Red smuggles Sparkle into Twin Peaks. This eventually leads to Shelley and Bobby's daughter being murdered by her Sparkle addict boyfriend. What will Shelley do when she realises Red's role in this? How will Bobby react. It leaves room to dream not to mention being explosive narrative ammunition should there be a season four.

Hmmm. I like this, although we only see Steven using garden-variety cocaine ("designer drug" typically means a pill). Also, I'm not certain that Becky is dead, since Bobby in Part 17 doesn't come across as a man whose daughter was just murdered. But time is strange in this season, so it's tough to know when the Steven/Gersten scene occurs in relation to the green glove fight, I guess. Maybe it's more concurrent than the editing makes it seem.
ThumbsUp

Postby ThumbsUp » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Do we know what the Log Lady is referring to with where the fire is? The White Lodge/Jack Rabbit's Palace? That wouldn't make sense though because that's apparently a zone of "good"... perhaps the scene from earlier in the season when Hawk sniffs around Glastonbury Grove is out of sequence?

Return to “Parts Discussion”