Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by trismegistus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: Bushnell squeezes DougieCoop's face and says to "knock 'em dead." DougieCoop then repeats, "dead," and imitates the motion, squeezing/smooshing his own face EXACTLY the same way DoppelCoop did to Jack's face in Part 2 when Jack mysteriously died. Curiouser and curiouser.
I noticed it the second it happened on screen but du to everything that preceded and followed it I seemed to have forgotten. Thank you for bringing it up here. I'm also shocked that some people are bothered by Shelley's 180 once Red shows up. But did we all forget that Red has magic powers? Yes, I know some people believe it's just Richard Horne being on drugs but we still don't know hardly anything about this STRANGER who is NEW TO THE AREA. Shelley is even wearing an engagement ring around her neck. Weird things are going on! Especially the more you try to make sense of it.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It makes sense that Gersten would be with Steven since as we know "everybody loves Steven" after all.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

The sick kid in the car was very Regan MacNeil. The other kid with the gun seemed super off. I wonder if something Lodge-related is affecting the children of the town, which maybe the opening shot of the three boys might've foreshadowed.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

One of my favorite episodes of Season 3 thus far. And major kudos to David Lynch for taking a risk on Dougie Jones and letting his story breathe across the bulk of the season. Dougie Coop's arc is quickly becoming one of my favorite subplots of the world of Twin Peaks. 11 hours in and I really feel David Lynch is more in tune with these characters than even me as a superfan.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Weird/interesting note: Mary Stofle is again credited as Ruth Davenport in this Part......so presumably her actual nude form was used for the corpse? I was assuming that Ms. Stofle was either the mother or some other relative of DKL's current wife, Emily Stofle. If so, pretty odd casting choice.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Ashok wrote:One of my favorite episodes of Season 3 thus far. And major kudos to David Lynch for taking a risk on Dougie Jones and letting his story breathe across the bulk of the season. Dougie Coop's arc is quickly becoming one of my favorite subplots of the world of Twin Peaks. 11 hours in and I really feel David Lynch is more in tune with these characters than even me as a superfan.
Me too. In some ways Dougie is the most Lynchian tool Lynch has employed. Dougie trolls the audience and subverts typical pacing and hero characterisation (the slow-moving near-mute who "moves like a cobra" and who is a "very special person" who saves people's lives).
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

It's going to take me a week to digest this episode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

ThumbsUp wrote:The sick kid in the car was very Regan MacNeil. The other kid with the gun seemed super off. I wonder if something Lodge-related is affecting the children of the town, which maybe the opening shot of the three boys might've foreshadowed.
The kid with the gun's staredown with Bobby was SUPER creepy -- but I don't think it's much more than a possessed kids horror film trope reference. Same with the zombie kid in the car. What a great scene. The woman's "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING" meltdown is so fantastic.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

jakemartinez wrote:The man on the piano was playing Sycamore Trees right? That's what he remembered? My god I almost started crying - that scene of his face... really shows the journey of him becoming the iconic figure we know and love.
OMG, FWWM reference!!! :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet: Bushnell squeezes DougieCoop's face and says to "knock 'em dead." DougieCoop then repeats, "dead," and imitates the motion, squeezing/smooshing his own face EXACTLY the same way DoppelCoop did to Jack's face in Part 2 when Jack mysteriously died.
Yeah, I caught that too. Weird.
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Weird/interesting note: Mary Stofle is again credited as Ruth Davenport in this Part......so presumably her actual nude form was used for the corpse? I was assuming that Ms. Stofle was either the mother or some other relative of DKL's current wife, Emily Stofle. If so, pretty odd casting choice.
Yeah, that's effed up. Good catch.
Call for help
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

N. Needleman wrote:
Tonight was the first time I began to wonder if Candie was an avatar of Laura Palmer. It may be nothing, but she was attuned to the same music and wavelength as Cooper. I could watch Amy Shiels forever. And the bit with Red - and Shelly randomly changing mood and rushing out without a word - made me wonder if he is indeed supernatural somehow and has that power over her.
I'm starting to wonder that too. Or at least that Candie has some kind of weird parallel to manufactured Dougie (seems that the original Dougie was spaced out enough that his totally vacant Cooper replacement isn't seen as much different). So was Candie also "manufactured for a purpose"? But maybe has been around long enough in this world to be at least a bit more functional than Dougie or Cooper?

Actually I doubt it's any of that. Most likely there just might not be anything about the character to explain.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by pixletwin »

Jasper wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Anyone know who played the piano player? Looked familiar?
I don't know who it is, but he kind of reminds me of this guy (though I doubt it's the same actor):
Don_Stark.jpg
It was Angelo Badalamenti. Or maybe not. Haha
Last edited by pixletwin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

So Shelly is with the guy who Richard Horne works for? :shock: So fucking wrong :oops:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The mention of the corn fields makes me wonder if we will finally get a take on another much-rumored sequence (truck driving backwards through corn/garmonbozia) that Bob Engels has teased for decades, not unlike his mention of their old plan for a 1950s flashback - which manifested in part 8.

I really do think Lynch/Frost intend to say weird Red has somehow enchanted Shelly in some way. Her reaction reminded me of how Lana drew men to distraction.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.