Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I'm wondering if the puking person is on Sparkle.
That looked like a small girl
That moment might have been the most mystifying of the entire episode for me. (And the most unsettling.)

Unsure whether it even meaningfully connects to the rest of the story - but if so, my guess is you're right. The kid got into someone's Sparkle.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I can't believe after this episode I'm still reading people saying Becky must be Leo's daughter (or that Becky killed Leo). Pretty sure Leo got killed by that spider 25 years ago. With only seven episodes left, it's becoming increasingly unlikely every week that he will even be referenced.

The idea that the Hawk phone conversation with Margaret at Glastonbury Grove, shown way way way back in Episode 1, is going to ultimately be revealed to take place after everything else that happens in the entire series also baffles me. On one of the previous episode's threads, I said I hoped when this proves not to be the case that people will come on here and tell me they were wrong, and some people seemed to think I was being real jerk. So, I will try to say it more politely this time, but I respectfully disagree with that theory.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

Harry Yallrite wrote:A perfect answer (or interpretation) as to what was going on w/ Bobby & Shelly, courtesy of THE A.V. CLIB write up of last night's part:

"The family Bobby encounters at the intersection near the Double R is another reminder of how patterns of behavior pass down from generation to generation, as Bobby’s meaningful glance from the posturing child in the camo jacket to the posturing father in the camo jacket reinforces. And Shelly’s giddy embrace of Red shows that some people keep making the same old mistakes, following the same dangerous path, year after year."
This was my interpretation, and what I thought was even more interesting was that it was clear that it was Shelly who never really matured and changed, and that Bobby had made a big change in his life. This goes against what many would have assumed would be the paths of Shelly and Bobby after TP. Seeing Bobby immediately rise to the threat of the gun shot was so much fun.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Cappy wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
jakemartinez wrote:A friend of mine thinks Candie is Laura Palmer... acts very clueless like Dougie... hmm...
I had exactly the same thought!
It will be very interesting to see how Candie and Dougie interact with each other. So far both characters primarily react/respond only when addressed by other characters. I don't think Candie is experiencing the same thing as Dougie, but having to engage with a character that isn't expecting anything out of him, or projecting an idea of a person onto him, might stir or trigger something deep inside.
Whatever's going on with Candie, it's not that.

See no reason a reborn Laura would be played by anyone other than Sheryl Lee. Candie is either just a "character"...or has more going on which has yet to be revealed.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Gotta go to work, so could not read every post. People were asking about coordinates to that place "in the North...". Did a search on "coordinates" and didn't see a screenshot someone was asking for. Here it is. Catch you later...
armcoord.JPG
armcoord.JPG (25.25 KiB) Viewed 9959 times
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

I'm surprised so many people are hearing "Sycamore Trees" in that piano scene.
I immediately thought it was going to be the rising part in "Laura Palmer's Theme" by those first few notes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Those coordinates lead me to:

Unnamed Road, 922 41 Drahovce, Slovakia

- I may have the numbers wrong, so I've tried different combinations on numbers I'm unsure of. They all lead to Slovakia.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Methedrome wrote:I'm surprised so many people are hearing "Sycamore Trees" in that piano scene.
I immediately thought it was going to be the rising part in "Laura Palmer's Theme" by those first few notes.
Same!
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

sewhite2000 wrote:The idea that the Hawk phone conversation with Margaret at Glastonbury Grove, shown way way way back in Episode 1, is going to ultimately be revealed to take place after everything else that happens in the entire series also baffles me. On one of the previous episode's threads, I said I hoped when this proves not to be the case that people will come on here and tell me they were wrong, and some people seemed to think I was being real jerk. So, I will try to say it more politely this time, but I respectfully disagree with that theory.
I think people were confused why he was visiting Glastonbury Grove, when he seemed otherwise unprepared for the eventual revelations about Cooper, etc.

In that episode, though, he said "something is supposed to happen here" (or close to that) -- which we should note makes more sense in light of this episode. Hawk has obviously been doing a lot of thinking about the forces in those woods over the past twenty five years, and has apparently shared MANY conversations with the Log Lady (and her log!). He has developed and refined his own understanding of how everything works, beyond the particulars of what might have happened to Dale, and regardless of what's currently happening outside of Twin Peaks.

Even if he assumed Dale left town uneventfully twenty five years ago, it still makes perfect sense that he would remain focused on that portal in Glastonbury Grove, where he once learned DEFINITIVELY that all the legends and stories were true.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

mtwentz wrote:
Novalis wrote: Red, like the Mitchums is another character presented as both hideously malign and overwhelmingly sentimental depending on circumstance. It bugs me that this mutability is so apparent before any one keynote characteristic is properly established. At least we know where we are with Richard Horne. I think I'm complaining that the characters are too inconsistent before anything about them has been laid down. This seems to be an issue mostly with the new cast. The veteran characters, on the other hand, seem very much like functions of the audience's need for continuity. The Log Lady continues to Log Lady, Hawk to Hawk, and Shelly to Shelly, very much structure bound. It's also apparent that job security in Twin Peaks must overshadow pretty much anywhere in the western world, with everyone still doing what they were doing 25 years ago.

So... well I liked it, a lot. But there were parts that grate with me. I think I will definitely like this one more on rewatch.
I will have to re-watch, but I really do not think we know enough about Red to says he is being 'sentimental' with Shelly. It's possible he's just using her (given her connection to Bobby, who is investigating the drug trade.)
I'm not sure sentimental was the right word. There was just something in the way he moved, ran, etc. and embraced Shelley that for me made his previous performance as the mysterious coin-trick devil flanked by armed muscle... evaporate. I don't doubt his intentions may be perfidious, but the action of the character as performed just seemed off, and not in a deliberately-artful way. Honestly though this is a minor quibble. I'm far more intrigued by these guys:

For me this momentary flash of the dilapidated quarters of the other side and their inhabitants made much of the rest of part 11 padding. I realise it can't be all this every week, but when it happens, a goblin inside me punches the air.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

nick1218 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:so the gunshot and the kid throwing up in the car - these are all signs evil is either coming or existing in twin peaks.
Those and the 911 switchboard scene. 2 days left, getting close to a time opening, its affecting the area.
There was nothing supernatural about that moment at all. Six gunshots were fired in a suburban apartment building, so many of the residents called 911 at once. She answered the calls as quickly as possible to let them know police were en route, before clearing the lines.

Get too analytical, and you can miss the forest for the trees!
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Methedrome wrote:I'm surprised so many people are hearing "Sycamore Trees" in that piano scene.
So similar, I was convinced of it at first.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sewhite2000 wrote:I can't believe after this episode I'm still reading people saying Becky must be Leo's daughter (or that Becky killed Leo). Pretty sure Leo got killed by that spider 25 years ago. With only seven episodes left, it's becoming increasingly unlikely every week that he will even be referenced.
I have to say that I only considered Leo *might* be Becky's dad (and I think I'm the only one whose done that in this thread) when I saw how reckless she was, and considering how other viewers noted the apparent commentary on children echoing their parents in this episode. I'm pretty sure Leo got killed by the spider too, but there room for allowing that Shelly might've been pregnant for the two months seasons one and two are meant to cover. Then again, Bobby has shot a man in his own reckless youth, so maybe the whole point of him spotting the boy and his dad is realising the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and that he is, in part, responsible.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Troubbble wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I'm wondering if the puking person is on Sparkle.
That looked like a small girl
That moment might have been the most mystifying of the entire episode for me. (And the most unsettling.)

Unsure whether it even meaningfully connects to the rest of the story - but if so, my guess is you're right. The kid got into someone's Sparkle.

Again, I apparantly missed something. What was it about Sparkle? Was it mentioned before?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My response to Part 11: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/07/ ... -fire.html. Loved this one. At the moment it feels like it might be a top 2 or 3 episode for me. I wonder if it will slip a little in ranking on rewatches simply because the tension of a first viewing was so strong. I loved the way Lynch cranked it up right away and didn't really let go for the first half-hour. Reminds me of the s2 finale, all those scenes leading up to the Black Lodge.