Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Jonah »

There was footage released of them filming in the desert. If you go back a few pages on this thread, I think someone posted an old link.

Edit - Filming locations listed here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/locations

Nevada location was first announced way back when here: https://twitter.com/twinpeaksarchve/sta ... 9872133120

And as I said there's a link from a few pages ago of them filming in the desert.

I don't know for certain that they filmed in Las Vegas itself (though I think they did) but it is listed on IMDB.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

That was me! That was not in Nevada. I'll go back and check specifically, but it was somewhere in CA.

edit: it was Palm Springs.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

BGate wrote:That was me! That was not in Nevada. I'll go back and check specifically, but it was somewhere in CA.
Oh ok. What about the other links I posted above?
Hmmm, maybe someone else will have to chime in to confirm this then. I can't be sure. I had heard around the time they were filming in Nevada but the links I've mentioned are the extent of my knowledge.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Jonah wrote:There was footage released of them filming in the desert. If you go back a few pages on this thread, I think someone posted an old link.

Edit - Filming locations listed here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/locations

Nevada location was first announced way back when here: https://twitter.com/twinpeaksarchve/sta ... 9872133120

And as I said there's a link from a few pages ago of them filming in the desert.

I don't know for certain that they filmed in Las Vegas itself (though I think they did) but it is listed on IMDB.
IMDB is not a reliable source. This is the same site that said Ray Wise was in all 18 episodes. And I believe that rumor that Jerry posted was debunked at some point. They shot in the Mojave Desert, which may have caused some confusion, since it spans CA and Nevada.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

I see that this episode is receiving almost unanimous acclaim, which surprises me a bit. I thought it was more of a mixed bag. There were several extremely powerful, insta-classic scenes, but also some overlong, tedious moments that could have been cut out and replaced with plot advancing bits. I wouldn't even mind the slow pacing, I can very well revel in it, but we are getting perilously close to the end and, unless season 4 is in the works, there won't be enough time to explore the various subplots that offer so much potential. Enough complaining though, let's focus on the good stuff:
- Dougie's shuffling around is still painful to watch, but after thinking about it for some time, I realized that it would have been difficult to make TP work if Cooper came out of the Lodge with his full, intact persona. Perhaps a more balanced approach could have been found where DougieCoop was not such an automaton, but on the other hand, a higher functioning Cooper would know too much about the Lodges, and about his Doppelganger, so there would be no way to generate the suspense we have seen. It would just be Good Coop chasing the Bad Coop (or vice versa).
- The zombie child in the car was awesomely creepy. I thought the scene was setting up so that the woman's husband has been shot in the seat next to her, and she didn't notice in her anger. It turned out to be even worse than that.
- Gordon Cole is really in the front line of exploring the supernatural this season. It seems that he has seen much already although he is still unprepared. He almost gets sucked into the Lodge before Albert pulls him back. Diane continues to be suspect in her behavior.
- The Woodsmen are a great concept that grown over time. They were minor side-kicks at first, but are now "go to" agents of the Lodge in the physical world. They obviously act with intent despite some seemingly random movements and their actions (such as killing Hastings) are obviously orchestrated by some unseen coordinator.
- I liked the scene with Hawk showing sheriff Truman his ancient map. Then I realized how silly this scene really is... Hawk had this map all along and it never occurred to him to show it to Cooper when the latter was desperately seeking for the Black Lodge entrance? Oh well, the map is still cool looking so it can be given a pass.

There is lots more that happened in this episode that begs scrutiny and discussion, but as mentioned in the beginning of this post, it doesn't move the plot along very much. That's why I am still on the fence about this episode. It will either be a great foundation to build on in the final third of the season or a great throwaway with a few cool moments.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

In the absence of Frank Silva, the Woodsmen are being set up as the new Lodge creatures to scare the bejeesus out of the audience. Instead if inhabiting people they appear to physically act in the world. Although who knows, maybe they inhabited Dave Macklay and he is the one who killed Hastings.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Man, I love the Mitchum brothers. Such a good addition to the show.
I did think the portal was visually stunning. Truly something out of a dream/nightmare.
The shooting scene at the RR was very surreal as well. I was quite flabbergasted by the vomiting kid.
Shelly, Shelly, Shelly,...
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:The sick little girl puking reminded me of the Romero zombie films. I wonder if Lynch made an homage and the episode ended up airing a few days after his passing. That'd be quite ironic.
It's pretty clear to me. 5 year olds shoot guns at dinners, little girls puke and act like zombies, Sonny-Jim is devoid of any joie de vivre, 15 year olds are natural born prostitutes (according to the Renaud brother we saw a few episodes ago), teens are even more clueless than 25 years ago (Becky)... Twin Peaks is poisoning its own children. 25 years ago it was a world of peace Cooper fell in love with. Now darkness is everywhere, and no child is safe.

The log lady said it in her first message to Hawk : "Something is missing". What is missing ? The light that inhabited the town. Now "we're living in a dark, dark age", says Janey-E.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

freeek wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:The sick little girl puking reminded me of the Romero zombie films. I wonder if Lynch made an homage and the episode ended up airing a few days after his passing. That'd be quite ironic.
It's pretty clear to me. 5 year olds shoot guns at dinners, little girls puke and act like zombies, Sonny-Jim is devoid of any joie de vivre, 15 year olds are natural born prostitutes (according to the Renaud brother we saw a few episodes ago), teens are even more clueless than 25 years ago (Becky)... Twin Peaks is poisoning its own children. 25 years ago it was a world of peace Cooper fell in love with. Now darkness is everywhere, and no child is safe.

The log lady said it in her first message to Hawk : "Something is missing". What is missing ? The light that inhabited the town. Now "we're living in a dark, dark age", says Janey-E.
Precisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

freeek wrote:

I take people's point about the change in Twin Peaks, but I think people are still glossing over the darkness in the original show/FWWM (notwithstanding the key theme which is about as dark as it gets)- they just weren't permitted to depict it as graphically. Leo was a monster (almost 2-dimensionally so, until they went in a more sympathetic direction with him in season 2 which to me, didn't work, and seemed irresponsible (sorry Scarface)). The Renault brothers were irredeemable. The whole One-Eyed Jack's plotline, men like Emory Battis, men like Buck and whatever his date-rapist friend was called. There was a whole world of exploitation that Laura, Ronette and Theresa were drawn into. The corruption of the Hornes and Packards and their disregard for the effect on the community. Hank was occasionally portrayed somewhat light-heartedly, but he was thoroughly malicious. Even Mike and Bobby, portrayed as your run of the mill small town delinquents, were into some heavy stuff, and it was always implied that this was all happening widely in Twin Peaks, and everywhere else. The biggest difference I think is that the original show was more like Blue Velvet- investigating what lies beneath the veneer of suburban (or in this case small town) tranquility and respectability. This time, the veneer has gone- poverty, deprivation, alienation and abuse are more brutally exposed. But you're right, we are seeing less of the 'lightness' now...

Re: Sonny Jim - I don't see him as devoid of any joie de vivre at all, almost the opposite, save for the time he made Cooper cry. He seems to radiate warmth in a way that befits his name.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

freeek wrote: It's pretty clear to me. 5 year olds shoot guns at dinners, little girls puke and act like zombies, Sonny-Jim is devoid of any joie de vivre, 15 year olds are natural born prostitutes (according to the Renaud brother we saw a few episodes ago), teens are even more clueless than 25 years ago (Becky)... Twin Peaks is poisoning its own children. 25 years ago it was a world of peace Cooper fell in love with. Now darkness is everywhere, and no child is safe.

Sonny Jim doesn't live in TP
dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

Will Norma ever finish that paperwork?
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Post by Isis Unveiled »

The zombie child, to me, was somehow reminiscent of the mutated frog/locust that crawled into the child's mouth in the flashback sequence in Part 8.

So maybe I missed something, but, whatever happened to Leo?

And what about Windom Earl, for that matter?
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

dontlooknow wrote:Will Norma ever finish that paperwork?
In Part 18, it'll be revealed she's been filling out a marriage application for her and Big Ed this entire time, and she just keeps tearing it up and starting over.
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Post by Isis Unveiled »

h2nho wrote: In Part 18, it'll be revealed she's been filling out a marriage application for her and Big Ed this entire time, and she just keeps tearing it up and starting over.
Isn't Big Ed dead? I must have missed something crucial, here.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB