Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheGum
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by TheGum »

I still like the theory of Dougie's boss finally referencing his opponent- Cooper on his big boxing poster, they've been dancing around that, particularly this week, I was just waiting For him to say "that fight when I bested COOPER!"
I'm back in style!
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

baxter wrote:
Belushi just gets better and better.
That's interesting I find Belushi terrible so I was curious what others think. The other mobster (he's played gangsters in other stuff like Mob City) is really good but Belushi is hacky.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Was anyone else expecting Don Draper and Roger Sterling to show up at Dougie's business dinner?
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

baxter wrote:Oh, and I'm also joining the camp that says Dougie either won't wake up, or will do so right at the end. I've now settled into this being the story, and I've been thinking a lot about two questions:

1) If Dougie "wakes up"now, what would he actually do? There is no momentum behind that part of the story, so it has to rely on external events.

2) If Cooper emerged from the lodge fully formed, what would he have actually done? Driven straight back to Twin Peaks and asked them what was going on? There wouldn't be any momentum in that story either.

So devoid of the shock of seeing Cooper babbling around for 11+ hours, I'm now fine with it.
Cooper, if he wakes up, needs to engage in a battle with his doppleganger. He needs to deal with whatever bunny rabbit thing dopplecoop is after and prevent supernatural disaster hitting the world.
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

ScarFace32 wrote:
baxter wrote:
Belushi just gets better and better.
That's interesting I find Belushi terrible so I was curious what others think. The other mobster (he's played gangsters in other stuff like Mob City) is really good but Belushi is hacky.
Would have preferred THIS Belushi and the other guy as the Mitchum Brothers. THAT would have been cool...
Attachments
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG (31.05 KiB) Viewed 9026 times
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG (31.05 KiB) Viewed 9032 times
Last edited by Harry Yallrite on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

Novalis wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Novalis wrote: Red, like the Mitchums is another character presented as both hideously malign and overwhelmingly sentimental depending on circumstance. It bugs me that this mutability is so apparent before any one keynote characteristic is properly established. At least we know where we are with Richard Horne. I think I'm complaining that the characters are too inconsistent before anything about them has been laid down. This seems to be an issue mostly with the new cast. The veteran characters, on the other hand, seem very much like functions of the audience's need for continuity. The Log Lady continues to Log Lady, Hawk to Hawk, and Shelly to Shelly, very much structure bound. It's also apparent that job security in Twin Peaks must overshadow pretty much anywhere in the western world, with everyone still doing what they were doing 25 years ago.

So... well I liked it, a lot. But there were parts that grate with me. I think I will definitely like this one more on rewatch.
I will have to re-watch, but I really do not think we know enough about Red to says he is being 'sentimental' with Shelly. It's possible he's just using her (given her connection to Bobby, who is investigating the drug trade.)
I'm not sure sentimental was the right word. There was just something in the way he moved, ran, etc. and embraced Shelley that for me made his previous performance as the mysterious coin-trick devil flanked by armed muscle... evaporate. I don't doubt his intentions may be perfidious, but the action of the character as performed just seemed off, and not in a deliberately-artful way. Honestly though this is a minor quibble. I'm far more intrigued by these guys:

For me this momentary flash of the dilapidated quarters of the other side and their inhabitants made much of the rest of part 11 padding. I realise it can't be all this every week, but when it happens, a goblin inside me punches the air.
Interesting that there is a projection of the bomb that brought those guys into the world on the wall. I didn't see that on my first viewing at all.

ETA: or at least that's what it looks like to me!
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

Hester Prynne wrote:Was anyone else expecting Don Draper and Roger Sterling to show up at Dougie's business dinner?
Hard choice between which character has better sarcastic lines - Roger Sterling or Albert Rosenfield!
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Jonah wrote:
As for if Dougie wakes up now, there's a lot he could do. He could start by hooking up with Albert and Cole and helping them track down Bad Coop and/or go back to Twin Peaks and hook up with Truman/Hawk and find the entry to the lodge. Maybe he'd have to save Audrey. Or the whole town of Twin Peaks. I think he will wake up soon. As I just wrote in another thread, he's wearing the suit he wore as Cooper in the original show
Spoiler:
and that we've seen him wearing in teaser trailers where he's driving around and looking in control of his faculties
, so that tells me we might be close to him awakening. And we've already had him experiencing lots of little awakenings - seeing various elements relating to law enforcement, the American flag, coffee, and now cherry pie. Cherry pie feels like the final - or close to final - step. I think something major - Audrey? Twin Peaks? Laura Palmer? - will be the catalyst to fully wake him up.
That's really the thing. It could go two ways: either Coop could wake up and play a role and bringing down DoppelCoop and sending him back to the lodge. OR: DoppelCoop might have to die, or otherwise get dealt with, before Dougie wakes up. If DoppelCoop still has to die for Coop to wake up, then we might actually be waiting until the very end of the series to see Coop again. If at all.

The whole sequence where DoppelCoop gets shot and seems to have Bob extracted by the Woodsmen complicates things. Does this mean that DoppelCoop now DOESN'T have to die for Coop to wake up (be nice if Mike would show up and tell us one way or the other....). Does DoppelCoop go rogue and work against the lodge and Woodsmen forces?

But it definitely looks like things will play out with DoppelCoop continuing the main antagonistic force. He's after the coordinates on Ruth's arm, Diane seems to be in on that. He might well show up at the "site" very soon. He's still sending out hits on Dougie, even after Ike's failure.... Or is he? if his plan was to have Dougie as a decoy to head back into the lodge for him, is he expecting that real Cooper is somehow stuck inside still? So would he be surprised to know that real Coop somehow made it out?

There's still a LOT of unknowns, even with the recent reveals of the last two episodes.

Philip Jeffries' role in this is still a big mystery....
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Well, in one teaser trailer we've seen
Spoiler:
him step into the light, in the same suit, but now with a lapel pin, looking very much like old Coop
Unless that was shot purely for promotional purposes, then he's
Spoiler:
Cooper in that shot
And in another teaser trailer, we saw two very brief scenes of him
Spoiler:
driving
and
Spoiler:
reacting to something
In both of those scenes, he seemed to be
Spoiler:
if not fully old Cooper, at least in control of his faculties, moreso than when he is purely Dougie
So I think he has to wake up to some extent. And it's possible all those scenes take place in the final episode, I don't know.

But we've already seen flashes of old Coop - or at least something that is clearly not Rain Man Dougie. I mean, that scene where he said "he's lying" in the office. Or how quickly he reacted to Ike the Spike.

(All the spoilers above aren't really spoilers but referencing brief glimpses from official trailers that have been released, but I'm playing it safe with the spoiler tags as some people are avoiding the trailers.)
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TheLodger1980

Post by TheLodger1980 »

That projection on the wall also reminds me of the burn hole Jeffries made when he was transported back to Buenos Aires.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

TheLodger1980 wrote:That projection on the wall also reminds me of the burn hole Jeffries made when he was transported back to Buenos Aires.
Great thought. I hope this is the case! If only the projection was more singed.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Who are they coming down the stairs towards?

There seems to be three possibilites of where that scene is located.

1.) The Convenience Store
2.) The Palmer House
3.) The 119 House in Vegas

(This sort of is a spoiler - or referencing one anyway.)
Spoiler:
I hope it's the Palmer House. That might tie in with a pretty major scene we've already had spoiled last year. Won't say anymore than that.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
AuralAmpler

Post by AuralAmpler »

firefly2193 wrote:A very mixed episode for me - this one had some fantastic drama and tension, but also some plot developments that left me pretty exasperated. I'm still confused about why the need, particularly in the Cole/Albert/Tammy storyline, to have the characters slowly describe whats happened before to them. It always feels clumsy and heavy handed.

I'm always trying not to judge TPTR until its complete, but this episode gave me great fears about how the plot is being written - sometimes it just feels like its a silly, whimsical fairy tale explanation for the world, rather than the dark and personal tale of TP and FWWM that used spirtual and otherworldly elements as muc as metaphors for the struggles of the protagonists and antagonists as anything else.

The development of the Michum brothers story line just left me feeling like - what was the point of all this? Why was this carefully written out this way? Was the 'mystery' of the insurance fraud actually supposed to be really engaging? Luckily the acting of Knepper and Belushi and Shiels have at least gave us some fun throughout.

That said, I will refrain from real judgement until its all over. If it all comes together in a satisfying and serious way, I'm sure this part will be loved on repeat viewings.

my thoughts exactly except i am happy to pass judgement before it's finished. (:

basically, lynch has been working off intuition . there's no logic in the traditional sense that "golden age of tv" shows are written. this is basically haphazard storytelling and he is doing something else entirely. i am giving up the possibility of the show clicking together into an elegant, tightly written story like the Pilot and the first 7 hours...it is what it is though - Lynch has "evolved" much like The Arm...
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Jonah wrote:Who are they coming down the stairs towards?

There seems to be three possibilites of where that scene is located.

1.) The Convenience Store
2.) The Palmer House
3.) The 119 House in Vegas

(This sort of is a spoiler - or referencing one anyway.)
Spoiler:
I hope it's the Palmer House. That might tie in with a pretty major scene we've already had spoiled last year. Won't say anymore than that.
I think the banisters in the 119 house and this are different. From the earlier photo, the 119 house looks like it has flat Arts and Crafts style top, the one I can see in the photo with the Woodsmen is rounded.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

anyone using LOL should never be taken seriously.

dinner's ready, see you on the other side