Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Esselgee wrote:The final scene of episode 18: Norma finishes her paperwork.
:lol: All we really know of Norma is that she has lots of paperwork, and she is a surrogate mother to Shelley. Hopefully more will be revealed about the original characters soon. But I sense we are running out of time.... :(
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

Heartbreaking

Eirikur

Post by Eirikur »

"Whatever's going on with Candie, it's not that."

But, a sane person would get Candie to an emergency room pronto. She could have had a stroke. She could some other medical problem. More likely, she's a trauma victim and that needs to be analyzed and treated by sympathetic professionals. The Mitchums are being very good guys for keeping a roof over her head and not asking anything of her, but I feel she needs actual help. Perhaps she's been verbal up to this point, but right now she can't answer simple questions.
Last edited by Eirikur on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

If all Vegas doctors are as observant as Dougie's doctor, no one is going to notice anything is wrong with her.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

So, is the Jack Rabbit's palace trip in next weeks episode or the week after? Am I right in thinking that it is scheduled for the day after the events of last night?

Each week I think "this is the week it goes mental" and it sort of chugs along in a partially mental mode.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I guess nothing weird is actually guaranteed to happen once they get there. I'm just assuming they enter a portal of some kind. Maybe Hawk goes in and we have to wait 25 years to see him come out as DougieHawk.
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but it just occurred to me that the Owl Cave symbol and the one on Hawk's map are eerily similar. Could the Owl Cave glyph be a more stylized version of the map symbol?
Attachments
owl cave symbol.jpg
owl cave symbol.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 10507 times
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Hester Prynne wrote:Was anyone else expecting Don Draper and Roger Sterling to show up at Dougie's business dinner?
They were attending to business elsewhere.
Leland_Roger_Don.jpg
Leland_Roger_Don.jpg (415.96 KiB) Viewed 10459 times
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Let's talk about deputy Jesse...
There's obviously something "off" here.
He didn't know who Wally was, he spaced out during a heated exchange between the dispatcher and bloody Chad, he came to this gun shot scene very... uniquely, then IMMEDIATELY after he was in the sheriff's station, interrupting a meeting to talk about his new car.

What's going on here? It's like the Sheriff's department isn't in Twin Peaks, or is at a different time. They don't do anything about the run over kid, nobody at the station mentions the shooting in the town, not even the officer who was there just a few seconds ago.

------------------------------------------------

Wild theories/speculation:
1. Candie and Jesse are part of Cooper's fractured persona. :mrgreen:

2. the last sentence of this season will be "How's Annie?", that's when real cooper comes back.

3. The
Spoiler:
"let's rock"
episode title will be said by
Spoiler:
Red
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I don't think you can take it too literally.

While I strongly feel the show is NOT intentionally trying to make us think there are bunch of alternative timelines or jumbling the presentation events for deliberate effect, I am willing to acknowledge some of the scenes don't really flow from one to another too well. It has been suggested on here that the editing has been played around with, that Lynch has probably shuffled any number of scenes from the order they appeared in the script, for whatever reason. Maybe to spread out some characters' appearances so that they're in more episodes (Jerry Horne). Maybe to focus more on the same plot thread in one episode, or on the flip side, to have more plot threads in one episode.

It is frequently said on here that this was shot as if it was one long film, and the division into episodes, which weren't delineated in the script, came as an afterthought. Some on here remind us to think of it as one long piece. That's all well and good, I guess, but the truth is, very few of us are going to sit down and watch it all in one sitting. The truth is, it's being presented in episodic form anyway, and maybe Lynch and others might have put some more forethought into that. Although I don't think that was high priority. Someone on here claimed Lynch, perhaps only half-jokingly, said that you could watch the scenes in any order.

I personally am trying to enjoy the story more for its overall emotional impact and broader themes. I, too, thought it was weird Jesse wants to show Frank his car after what seems to be immediately after he was at a crime scene with Bobby, but I just dwelled on it for a few seconds and sank back into my enjoyment of the show. Is that letting Lynch et al. off the hook? I guess you could argue that, but that's what I'm doing most of the time.
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

Deputy Holcomb is a great, funny side character. Probably doesn't serve any bigger purpose though. Same with Candie, I think she's just weird & slow and that's it. Remember we're watching Twin Peaks, is there a character that's not somehow weird or strange :lol:
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

A) There are no inconsistencies represented on the show, I can guarantee that the so called slips are very much intended. Lynch and Frost know exactly what they are doing.

B) There is more to Norma than just going through the papers.

C) I don't think Coop is going back to the black lodge and meet Laura and for sure Laura ain't coming back to life in her previous self. The 25 years did not necessarily mean meeting in the lodge. I think character Candy is with the soul that previously existed in a character called Laura Palmer. She's been around much longer than Coop so she can take action on by herself, but is still largerly affected by the experiences of the black lodge. How old is Candy?

D) I think the musical change was related to Cooper sipping alcohol. Going from an uplifting happy music to a slower paced melancholic music just on that instance. Uplifting music returns, takes another sip and in the end there is the melancholic music again.

E) Now I wanna know what that owl symbol means exactly on Hawks map. Some ancient tribes had owl as a symbol for death. It's even been associated to Lilith (in some texts so called mother of demons etc.). This being Twin Peaks it can be totally something different.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

While the expansion of the sheriff's department has been deliberate, I find it weird that senior officials seem more concerned with the Log Lady's messages than a) vehicular manslaughter b) robbery with violence c) attempted murder. Sure, the department is bigger but Truman and Hawk seem to be the senior staff.

We've talked about the external reality of TP being more downbeat - maybe we're supposed to ask what role the police have had. Indifference? Incompetence? Even Bobby admits he's let Steven away with stuff. Andy, Jesse, Chad/Chet (can't remember name) - are these the people you'd entrust competent law enforcement to?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

h2nho wrote:While we're talking about Anthony, let's just appreciate how nice it is to see Tom Sizemore branch out from a typical villain role to something that's become more funny than threatening. Anthony's pouting outside of Mullins' office in this episode was hilarious and made him look like an upset or angry dog - I loved it! That just shows you the difference between TP: TR and the procedurals that it loves to subvert.
I agree. I completely failed to recognise him when he first appeared, and it's only because the actor's name was causing an itch in the back of my mind that I finally realised where I'd seen him before, younger, bearded, and much more obviously nasty (a couple of films from the 90s where it's not immediately obvious that he is a villain, so I'll avoid naming them, just in case).
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

douglasb wrote:While the expansion of the sheriff's department has been deliberate, I find it weird that senior officials seem more concerned with the Log Lady's messages than a) vehicular manslaughter b) robbery with violence c) attempted murder. Sure, the department is bigger but Truman and Hawk seem to be the senior staff.
The nice thing about an 18 hour movie is that we are able to see how the characters spent every minute of every day. To your point, since Truman and Hawk are looking at Hawk's map late at night, we know that they hadn't spent their time on any other issues during a long day.