Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The body language of Stephen and Gersten is pretty obvious, IMO, and the call that Becky received is obviously about him cheating (why else was she enraged?). If they weren't cheating, then why did they hide from Becky? And if it wasn't cheating, then why didn't Lynch and Frost raise that possibility when Becky has the family meeting?

There really should be no confusion here except that people are supposing that nothing in Twin Peaks is ever what it seems just because the supernatural aspects have a sublime quality. But we know this isn't true. Quite often, especially in affairs of the heart, Twin Peaks is very straightforward.

In fact, I can't remember a single affair in the show that wasn't an affair.
That last point IS valid but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt just because of general Twin Peaks weirdness. There are things we don't know about Becky that could be the reasons he is sneaking around. We really don't know much about either of them, outside their violent drug-fueled relationship.

There are two ways you could interpret events:

1. Stephen and Gerstner are having an affair. Someone rings Becky to tell her they've seen Stephen go into Gerstner's room. The couple may see Becky coming, they may be in another part of the building. After Becky fires her gun into the door they linger at the bottom of the stairs, worried that Becky has almost found them out.

2. Stephen and Gerstner have some sort of other relationship. Someone rings Becky to tell her they've seen Stephen go into Gersten's room (both Becky and friend assume Stephen is having an affair). The couple may see Becky coming, they may be in another part of the building. After Becky fires her gun into the door they linger at the bottom of the stairs, worried because someone has just fired multiple shots upstairs.

I agree, it's still probably the first. But the second is no stretch of possibility.

I wonder if the neighbour is the friend that rings Becky up?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:The body language of Stephen and Gersten is pretty obvious, IMO, and the call that Becky received is obviously about him cheating (why else was she enraged?). If they weren't cheating, then why did they hide from Becky? And if it wasn't cheating, then why didn't Lynch and Frost raise that possibility when Becky has the family meeting?

There really should be no confusion here except that people are supposing that nothing in Twin Peaks is ever what it seems just because the supernatural aspects have a sublime quality. But we know this isn't true. Quite often, especially in affairs of the heart, Twin Peaks is very straightforward.

In fact, I can't remember a single affair in the show that wasn't an affair.
The phone call is obviously what makes Becky believe Steven is cheating, but it could have been something vague like "I saw Steven go to the apartment of another woman." That's exactly what I meant in my last post about making assumptions and possible misdirection. There isn't anything in the episode that confirms he is cheating, so why is that the only way to interpret the scene?

And about affairs being straightforward, in the old series couples usually met in motel rooms or we saw them kissing/in bed together, there really wasn't any room for different interpretations. But two people meeting in an appartment and standing in a corridor together is much more ambiguous. Lynch could have shown us a scene of them kissing or having sex if he wanted the scene to be indisputable.

DeepBlueSeed wrote: I personally don't think she's a 'mentor', and would find it worrying if she's his mother because there's only about a 15 year age gap.
I'm surprised that a couple of people have denied the possibility of Gersten being his mother just because it would make them uncomfortable. If Gersten is the same age as the actress, she would have been 15-16 in season 2. Teenage pregnancy happens and would something like that be surprising in a town like Twin Peaks? Would a storyline like that be so much more shocking and uncomfortable than the teenage prostitution, incest or rape that we've already seen?

Edit:
By the way, can anyone identify what's in Steven's hand? My first thought was that it's the apartment key, but it doesn't really look like a key. I think it could be a memory stick, but I can't tell for sure because of the picture quality and camera angle. If it is a memory stick, this could have been the real reason why they met. If it isn't a memory stick, what else is it and why was it important enough to grab that thing and take it with him when he is fleeing from his gun-firing wife?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

AudreyHorne wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote: I personally don't think she's a 'mentor', and would find it worrying if she's his mother because there's only about a 15 year age gap.
I'm surprised that a couple of people have denied the possibility of Gersten being his mother just because it would make them uncomfortable. If Gersten is the same age as the actress, she would have been 15-16 in season 2. Teenage pregnancy happens and would something like that be surprising in a town like Twin Peaks? Would a storyline like that be so much more shocking and uncomfortable than the teenage prostitution, incest or rape that we've already seen?
To be clear, I'm not denying the possibility. I'm just uncomfortable with it, in particular given that it did not seem to be a path Gersten was on when we last saw her. Admittedly Laura Palmer, on the surface, was the perfect prom queen.
Last edited by DeepBlueSeed on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Nighthawk wrote: Considering how many characters, themes, mythologies, mysterious forces, and plain random events are going on in TPTR, the current pace implies that we will not get to revisit a lot of them and just brush on the surface of others. Part 11 had maybe five plot moving events and the rest was just a build up to them. Dougie befriending the Mitchum brothers took half of the episode alone and it feels like that could have been handled in 8-10 minutes. We've already seen that Lynch can turn up the pace, like he did with part 7, which of course was followed (intentionally I assume) with the bizarre, extremely slow, but artistically ingenious part 8.
Plot, schmlott.

If you want to see a show full of plot twists, go check out any generic movie/TV show. They are a dime a dozen.

Twin Peaks is not a plot driven show. It's driven by those moments when a man's foot rebels against his body.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

deleted (because I was trying to edit an older post, not quote it!)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Esselgee wrote:So did Steven know that his job interview was with his lover's sister's ex-boyfriend? Maybe that's why Mike treated him like that. Did Mike know what Steven was up to with Donna's sister? Geez, that scene seems like it happened ages ago.
I had actually thought that scene was the first clue that Becky was Bobby's daughter. Now that we know she is, I'd say Mike was definitely berating Steven because he knew him, or knew of him. So many scenes are more than they at first seem!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Slightly spoilerish... maybe..? Little reveal about Carl Rodd from Mark Frost on Twitter.
Spoiler:
carlrodd.png
carlrodd.png (87.92 KiB) Viewed 8458 times
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Here is the problem with wasting as much time as we are in Vegas. We are only getting side cuts of Twin Peaks. Granted, the show seems more focused there of late, but its getting bogged down by Dougie and the mob. I would want to get into the new Twin Peaks department, what is up with the drug running, all the new Briggs family drama, the golden shovels and oh yeah where the hell is Hank and Audry?!!! Instead, we get insurance fraud. Who cares. I get that Lynch wants to do the whole rebirth thing. I would suggest he check in with DC comics and help them with their Rebirth as it would seem to fit better there. Probably not, but not here. I honestly believe when the fan edit of Twin Peaks comes out, its run time will be half, because you can just cut the whole Vegas arc out. You have Dale leave the lodge and then whenever he is back to normal which I hope is not the last episode, that is where his story really begins.

Yes, Steve and Gresten are fucking. Why the person on the phone says Becky needs to go down there and she goes off about a car, I am not sure. That seemed weird.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

mtwentz wrote: Plot, schmlott.

If you want to see a show full of plot twists, go check out any generic movie/TV show. They are a dime a dozen.

Twin Peaks is not a plot driven show. It's driven by those moments when a man's foot rebels against his body.
I didn't say we need TP to be full of plot twists so that's an exaggeration. I would like to see a better balance though.

Jerry Horne's scenes have been fun to watch, but they are "weird for the sake of weird" kind of deal. The reason why his plight resonates is that he is already an established character from the original series. Otherwise, his brief appearances would have little meaning.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Nighthawk wrote:
mtwentz wrote: Plot, schmlott.

I didn't say we need TP to be full of plot twists so that's an exaggeration. I would like to see a better balance though.

Jerry Horne's scenes have been fun to watch, but they are "weird for the sake of weird" kind of deal. The reason why his plight resonates is that he is already an established character from the original series. Otherwise, his brief appearances would have little meaning.
I think it's safe to say Jerry's plight will be explained and tied in.
ravingnightmare

Post by ravingnightmare »

All speculation and some worrying about how Lynch can tie everything or most things up begs the question, will there be a fourth season? I remember someone asked Lynch during the making of this season if there will be a continuation? Lynch said something along the line we will see. Would've loved finding the article or tweet where I read him saying that.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

ravingnightmare wrote:All speculation and some worrying about how Lynch can tie everything or most things up begs the question, will there be a fourth season? I remember someone asked Lynch during the making of this season if there will be a continuation? Lynch said something along the line we will see. Would've loved finding the article or tweet where I read him saying that.
I don't think that anything must tie at the end. Most of the original TP never tied up into anything, and S2 actually ended with the greatest untied cliffhanger of TV and movie history. I don't understand this need for a clear end to the various plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

ravingnightmare wrote:All speculation and some worrying about how Lynch can tie everything or most things up begs the question, will there be a fourth season? I remember someone asked Lynch during the making of this season if there will be a continuation? Lynch said something along the line we will see. Would've loved finding the article or tweet where I read him saying that.
That's a key question, which I mentioned in one of my previous posts. If another season was waiting in the wings, then pacing would not be a problem at this point.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
I don't think that anything must tie at the end. Most of the original TP never tied up into anything, and S2 actually ended with the greatest untied cliffhanger of TV and movie history. I don't understand this need for a clear end to the various plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im sorry but Coop coming out of the lodge possessed by Bob (or whatever it is) was not a cliffhanger. Sure it begged the question "wow I wonder where they would have gone next with this" But that was NOT a cliffhanger at all. All the little side things were like Audrey and Leo but the Coop + Bob in the mirror was definitely not what "cliffhanger" means
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

People that think that Dougie's arc is completely untied to Dale's arc unfortunately misunderstand Lynch & Frost's mission statement with this new season. It's all about the journey, folks.