Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by sewhite2000 »

What???????

If it makes you ask, "I wonder where they're going next with this?", that's pretty much the posted definition of "cliffhanger". Look it up on dictionary.com!

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cliffhanger?s=t

The term dates back to the movie serials before there were TV shows.

If "an installment ends in suspense in order to interest the ... viewer in the next installment," it's a cliffhanger. Evil Cooper being let loose on the Earth possessed by BOB is one million per cent a cliffhanger! I don't even understand what you're saying.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

Wally Brando wrote:Don't think anyone's mentioned it already, so I guess the answer is no, but...
Did the shot with the camera moving along the corridor and down the stairs from Gersten's apartment (after Becky ventilates the door) remind anyone else of the 'Bob POV*' shots that were used occasionally in the original series, e.g. In the Palmer house or in the woods after Bob has left Leland?

*Can't think of a better name for it.
I got the same feeling but couldn't place it immediately with all the action!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

nick1218 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
ravingnightmare wrote:All speculation and some worrying about how Lynch can tie everything or most things up begs the question, will there be a fourth season? I remember someone asked Lynch during the making of this season if there will be a continuation? Lynch said something along the line we will see. Would've loved finding the article or tweet where I read him saying that.
I don't think that anything must tie at the end. Most of the original TP never tied up into anything, and S2 actually ended with the greatest untied cliffhanger of TV and movie history. I don't understand this need for a clear end to the various plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im sorry but Coop coming out of the lodge possessed by Bob (or whatever it is) was not a cliffhanger. Sure it begged the question "wow I wonder where they would have gone next with this" But that was NOT a cliffhanger at all. All the little side things were like Audrey and Leo but the Coop + Bob in the mirror was definitely not what "cliffhanger" means
THAT was not a cliffhanger? I don't even know how to answer to that!!!!

In any case, when the series ended we know what happened to Leo? Audrey? Jacoby? Bobby&Shelly? Donna? James? Or... can you answer the question: "How's Annie?"

In all truth, we didn't know much at the end of S2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

nick1218 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
ravingnightmare wrote:All speculation and some worrying about how Lynch can tie everything or most things up begs the question, will there be a fourth season? I remember someone asked Lynch during the making of this season if there will be a continuation? Lynch said something along the line we will see. Would've loved finding the article or tweet where I read him saying that.
I don't think that anything must tie at the end. Most of the original TP never tied up into anything, and S2 actually ended with the greatest untied cliffhanger of TV and movie history. I don't understand this need for a clear end to the various plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im sorry but Coop coming out of the lodge possessed by Bob (or whatever it is) was not a cliffhanger. Sure it begged the question "wow I wonder where they would have gone next with this" But that was NOT a cliffhanger at all. All the little side things were like Audrey and Leo but the Coop + Bob in the mirror was definitely not what "cliffhanger" means
of course that scene was the very definition of what a cliffhanger means. As has been stated many times by the writer's it was a ploy to get audiences to come back after the break and put pressure on the network to greenlight more episodes.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So Anthony Sinclair will have to kill Dougie himself. Good luck with that...

Cliffhanger:
A cliffhanger, or cliffhanger ending, is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode[1] of serialized fiction. A cliffhanger is hoped to ensure the audience will return to see how the characters resolve the dilemma.
does not necessarily mean the character will die if they fall of that cliff.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Saw a few posts on Reddit theorizing that almost-emergence of Coop at the end of E11 might actually be as far as we get to seeing the old Cooper in the 'real' world? I know we've got the still unseen trailer stuff and other scenes that people saw filming that would suggest otherwise, but the posts themselves made quite a bit of sense. I don't particularly subscribe to this theory, but it was disconcerting, especially when you
Spoiler:
consider what else was said in that handwritten scene that was screengrabbed, from which E14 takes its title.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

manalicream wrote:The number plate at the site is VR2EK sounds a lot like vortex! Image
Good one. And what's this, "Zone Boys" ??? Search for The Zone?
zoneboys.JPG
zoneboys.JPG (33.9 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Pinky wrote:Saw a few posts on Reddit theorizing that almost-emergence of Coop at the end of E11 might actually be as far as we get to seeing the old Cooper in the 'real' world? I know we've got the still unseen trailer stuff and other scenes that people saw filming that would suggest otherwise, but the posts themselves made quite a bit of sense. I don't particularly subscribe to this theory, but it was disconcerting, especially when you
Spoiler:
consider what else was said in that handwritten scene that was screengrabbed, from which E14 takes its title.
To be honest.. His soul should have been annihilated.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Nighthawk wrote:
mtwentz wrote: Plot, schmlott.

If you want to see a show full of plot twists, go check out any generic movie/TV show. They are a dime a dozen.

Twin Peaks is not a plot driven show. It's driven by those moments when a man's foot rebels against his body.
I didn't say we need TP to be full of plot twists so that's an exaggeration. I would like to see a better balance though.

Jerry Horne's scenes have been fun to watch, but they are "weird for the sake of weird" kind of deal. The reason why his plight resonates is that he is already an established character from the original series. Otherwise, his brief appearances would have little meaning.
Disagree. Jerry's not foot talking to him is parallel to what's going on with Cooper who lost his shoes, or in other words lost identity just like Jerry is losing himself to the drugs.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

sewhite2000 wrote:What???????

If it makes you ask, "I wonder where they're going next with this?", that's pretty much the posted definition of "cliffhanger". Look it up on dictionary.com!

If "an installment ends in suspense in order to interest the ... viewer in the next installment," it's a cliffhanger. Evil Cooper being let loose on the Earth possessed by BOB is one million per cent a cliffhanger! I don't even understand what you're saying.
Nope, wrong. You can put 100 question marks if you want. Interest in next installment is not equal to cliffhanger. When Cooper was shot and we didnt know who THAT was a cliffhanger. If we go your your definition then every episode of almost every tv show is a cliffhanger. You have to be judicious with the word
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

the argument over the meaning of cliffhanger has me on edge :mrgreen:

i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Pinky wrote:Saw a few posts on Reddit theorizing that almost-emergence of Coop at the end of E11 might actually be as far as we get to seeing the old Cooper in the 'real' world? I know we've got the still unseen trailer stuff and other scenes that people saw filming that would suggest otherwise, but the posts themselves made quite a bit of sense. I don't particularly subscribe to this theory, but it was disconcerting, especially when you
Spoiler:
Can you link to the reddit post please? Also, can you explain what you meant in the spoiler tags and why that's disconcerting with regards to Cooper's reappearance?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

nick1218 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:What???????

Nope, wrong. You can put 100 question marks if you want. Interest in next installment is not equal to cliffhanger. When Cooper was shot and we didnt know who THAT was a cliffhanger. If we go your your definition then every episode of almost every tv show is a cliffhanger. You have to be judicious with the word
You guys all should get tickets to that Hairsplitter's Convention :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
itsbeen20yrs

Post by itsbeen20yrs »

Hey all y'all - it looked like Diane was saying/mouthing something when the woodsmen was hacking at Hastings' head. Has anybody figured out what she was saying? I haven't had a chance to go thru all 52 pages of this post, so if it's been discussed, please just point me in the right direction. :D
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

mtwentz wrote:
You guys all should get tickets to that Hairsplitter's Convention :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know