Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by pinballmars »

Some people refer to "The Return" as season 3, while the creators themselves call it an 18-hour feature.

The difference: A feature film has an ending.

Personally, I have zero expectations for more Twin Peaks after this. There's something about it that feels "final" to me, from the chorus of the Chromatics song ("for the last time, for the last time") to the title of Mark Frost's upcoming book.

I'm not placing any bets, but I'd be surprised if there's more after "The Return".
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

pinballmars wrote: The difference: A feature film has an ending.
Who wins Rocky v Apollo at the end of Rocky III ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Who wins Rocky v Apollo at the end of Rocky II ? :)

You talkin' Rocky II or III?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

3, sorry.

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:
LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

3, sorry.

Ha, no problem! It was a hilarious example!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
LateReg wrote:

3, sorry.

Ha, no problem! It was a hilarious example!
Well, I wondered for 33 years !! Thankfully we know now

1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

Elric99 wrote:
1derpalm wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
That moment might have been the most mystifying of the entire episode for me. (And the most unsettling.)

Unsure whether it even meaningfully connects to the rest of the story - but if so, my guess is you're right. The kid got into someone's Sparkle.
I was definitely thinking that the lid got into sparkle by accident. Maybe the women is running drugs and the kid is there to keep heat off of her.
Remember back in the episode where Bobby is introduced, Truman mentions a kid OD'd at school. Apparently the kids are into sparkle.
Yeah he probably was looking on Luke "oh $h!t. And I used to deal this stuff to kids", or he just wasn't phased by it because he's used to it. And he's been packing heat since he was a kid. Maybe he's filled with regret. OR maybe he never stopped dealing it and he is in collusion with red as well. That's why he's upset. Because Shelley Left him for the big boss.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

1derpalm wrote:
Elric99 wrote:
1derpalm wrote: I was definitely thinking that the lid got into sparkle by accident. Maybe the women is running drugs and the kid is there to keep heat off of her.
Remember back in the episode where Bobby is introduced, Truman mentions a kid OD'd at school. Apparently the kids are into sparkle.
Yeah he probably was looking on Luke "oh $h!t. And I used to deal this stuff to kids", or he just wasn't phased by it because he's used to it. And he's been packing heat since he was a kid. Maybe he's filled with regret. OR maybe he never stopped dealing it and he is in collusion with red as well. That's why he's upset. Because Shelley Left him for the big boss.
I think it's younger kids ...

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Rocky, duh! :D :mrgreen:
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
Parts 1 & 2 — 0.506
Parts 3 & 4 — 0.195
Part 5 — 0.254
Part 6 — 0.270
Part 7 — 0.294
Part 8 — 0.246
Part 9 — 0.355
Part 10 — 0.267 (Game of Thrones season 7 begins)
Part 11 — 0.219

huge bump after Pt 8. Definitely to be expected but they didn't seem to hold it. See if the time change on 8/6 gives it a boost. Too early for me but good to rewatch the same night.
Showtime CEO said 2 million unique viewers were watching weekly across all platforms.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Hockey Mask wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Rocky, duh! :D :mrgreen:
Do you want to know? (It has been revealed)
Here's the result of the Third Rocky v Apollo fight
Spoiler:
Creed wins.
Source: Rocky Balboa in Creed

Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

sewhite2000 wrote:I would take those second week viewing figures with a grain of salt. People who got Showtime's streaming service could watch the first four episodes on the very first night! And most of them probably did (I didn't. I didn't want to go two weeks without seeing anything at all, so I only watched the first two episodes the first night, and the next two episodes a week later, but I'm sure I was in the minority). I think that's why the numbers for Eps 3-4 are so much lower than any other week. A lot of people had seen them already.
What if the early airing numbers are already counted in that 0.195 number :O

I mean, it could be. The numbers of part 5 isn't that much higher that it wouldn't be impossible that so many dropped out after the first couple of episodes but about 50k viewers wanted to give it another go later. It wouldn't be the last time something like that would've happened as there was a drop in viewers from Part 7 to Part 8, yet Part 9 suddenly had 100k more viewers.

While I would love this show to have an amazing success I still quite understand if such a big drop happened after the first two parts. I personally was really really disappointed after the first two episodes and if I wasn't such a huge Twin Peaks fan I might've stopped watching too. I'm glad I didn't as Parts 3&4 brought me back.

The first two episodes just happened to be made in such a manner that doesn't necessarily leave casual viewers wanting more.

Anyway, while it could be so that the numbers of Parts 3&4 are lower because people watched the episodes earlier it still doesn't explain the numbers for Part 5. It's not much bigger than in Parts 3&4. It's still half less than what the first two parts had. Half of the live viewers decided to stop watching the show no matter what the context for the live ratings of Parts 3&4 is.

We will definitely not get the same kind of success the original series had. It was over 30 million live viewers at best and over 7 million live viewers at worst in the US ALONE. I'm not sure this show will get even that 7 million viewers from all services combined. But then again, that's just what the situation of television is today. It's actually kinda sad and funny at the same time that we can now see the 100k viewer bump in Part 9 as a big bump :D
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

HagbardCeline wrote:Showtime CEO said 2 million unique viewers were watching weekly across all platforms.
Interesting. Thanks.

I'd like to see a source on that, when it was said, and especially how it compares to the all-platform numbers for other Showtime originals.
Rami Airola wrote:What if the early airing numbers are already counted in that 0.195 number :O
The 0.195 number refers only to the live cable viewing in the United States which took place a week after the release of parts 1 & 2. It in no way counts the streaming views of parts 3 & 4 which began immediately following the live cable airing of parts 1 & 2 and continued during the week leading up to the live cable airing of parts 3 & 4.

The U.S. live viewing numbers for parts 3 & 4 are more or less meaningless.
Rami Airola wrote:Anyway, while it could be so that the numbers of Parts 3&4 are lower because people watched the episodes earlier it still doesn't explain the numbers for Part 5. It's not much bigger than in Parts 3&4. It's still half less than what the first two parts had. Half of the live viewers decided to stop watching the show no matter what the context for the live ratings of Parts 3&4 is.
This really isn't unusual for the premiere of a cable series.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Jasper wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:Showtime CEO said 2 million unique viewers were watching weekly across all platforms.
Interesting. Thanks.

I'd like to see a source on that, when it was said, and especially how it compares to the all-platform numbers for other Showtime originals.
The article was in IndiWire, you should be able to google. I can find it when I get home.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."