Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by baxter »

I haven't seen anything yet, and was hoping for advance word (like Part 8) to confirm that tomorrow is a mind-expanding epic rather than another slow build. Are there any "I'm hearing big things" style tweets?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Calderon wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Too much word is going around from too many places just like part 8 for tomorrow to not be a big deal.
Can you give us other sources? So far Dastmalchian's tweet is the only thing I've seen so far.
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I've started to focus out beyond the edge of social media....at a bigger game. There's an owl hooting right now in a fir tree outside my window. I don't think we should ignore this auspicious occurrence. (It's a bird — classic augury).

It's a good hoot. Smooth, resonant, nice pitch. Simple hoots, one, a quick pause, then two more. [edit: sometimes it's two quick ones, a pause, then two slower ones.]

Holy smokes, now there are two of them hooting back and forth from two different spots! (I'm not kidding.) We must pay strict attention!

Two owls. Twins? Coop and doppelcoop? Cooper and Laura? Maybe it's straightforward and I should just predict owls and trees at night.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Jasper wrote: I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I've started to focus out beyond the edge of social media....at a bigger game. There's an owl hooting right now in a fir tree outside my window. I don't think we should ignore this auspicious occurrence. (It's a bird — classic augury).

It's a good hoot. Smooth, resonant, nice pitch. Simple hoots, one, a quick pause, then two more. [edit: sometimes it's two quick ones, a pause, then two slower ones.]

Holy smokes, now there are two of them hooting back and forth from two different spots! (I'm not kidding.) We must pay strict attention!

Two owls. Twins? Coop and doppelcoop? Cooper and Laura? Maybe it's straightforward and I should just predict owls and trees at night.
OMG. Is this Jerry Horne speaking to me?
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Jasper wrote:
Two birds, one stone(d) poster? :lol: (jk Jasper)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Major Briggs wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Too much word is going around from too many places just like part 8 for tomorrow to not be a big deal.
Like where?
The cast doesn't seem to do these things unless specifically directed- there is a difference between the usual "watch Twin Peaks" stuff and these more explicit special episode teases. The one here matches the vibe being put out on part 8. Further, Frost retweeted Jerry asking if tomorrow's show was a big deal. That's another tipoff. Following that Jerry went ahead with hearing it's gonna be big. Whether or not he's currently heard more than we have doesn't change the above.

Finally: Based on stuff floating around the net awhile back, I had reason to think 12 may be big well before they started teasing.

I guess we'll see. But I don't see what's wrong with having anticipation while remaining rational.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Like where?
The cast doesn't seem to do these things unless specifically directed- there is a difference between the usual "watch Twin Peaks" stuff and these more explicit special episode teases. The one here matches the vibe being put out on part 8. Further, Frost retweeted Jerry asking if tomorrow's show was a big deal. That's another tipoff. Following that Jerry went ahead with hearing it's gonna be big. Whether or not he's currently heard more than we have doesn't change the above.

Finally: Based on stuff floating around the net awhile back, I had reason to think 12 may be big well before they started teasing.

I guess we'll see. But I don't see what's wrong with having anticipation while remaining rational.
I'm not saying it won't or can't be big. Just that we can't take it as a certain thing because actors are tweeting about it, specially when we know the only one who has an idea of the bigger picture is Kyle.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

firefly2193 wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:People on this forum used to talk about $80 million and figures around that area. That number could be complete nonsense. Having seen the show, I'm not convinced it was that high.
It is that high. It has been confirmed that the budget is on par with Showtime's other big dramas, which all have less episodes than TP. It has many locations, many sets built, a ginormous cast and tons of visual effects. There's also what I'm sure was a very big paycheck to Lynch, Frost and Maclachlan. It's a super expensive show for Showtime.
Yeah fair enough, I believe it. Just initially hard to believe it had 2/3 of the budget of something like Game of Thrones, given the general gulf in special effect quality between the two shows. Part 8 felt to me like a $4.5 million dollar episode, the others less so. Hopefully there's some incredible work on that level in the final third of this show.
I hear what you're saying, but 18 hours is so much more than Game of Thrones. I can only assume that plays a factor in the higher budget, as time is money, and more locations and actors are being used, etc. Also, the effects in Part 8 were, imo, better than anything in Game of Thrones. The effects in the rest of the series were probably also costly (Counterpaul has posted intelligently about how they're professionally rendered), even though they don't look "realistic."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

By that token you can say the actors shouldn't have tweeted about part 8 being a big deal- most weren't in it and would not have known its significance. They tweeted because they were tipped off by L/F. I expect the same has begun here. Frost's retweet is especially notable.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:By that token you can say the actors shouldn't have tweeted about part 8 being a big deal- most weren't in it and would not have known its significance. They tweeted because they were tipped off by L/F. I expect the same has begun here. Frost's retweet is especially notable.
Except the buzz in Part 8 started with the executive producer and the cinematographer for the show. People who definitely know the whole thing.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Major Briggs wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:By that token you can say the actors shouldn't have tweeted about part 8 being a big deal- most weren't in it and would not have known its significance. They tweeted because they were tipped off by L/F. I expect the same has begun here. Frost's retweet is especially notable.
Except the buzz in Part 8 started with the executive producer and the cinematographer for the show. People who definitely know the whole thing.
I think the buzz actually started with Jeff Jenson of EW tweeting that he had heard something. Then it went to Sabrina, then the Showtime weekly email about things getting weird, then Madchen on Twitter, then Deming as late as Saturday. At any rate, it seems normal to me that they wouldn't want to hype another Part quite as much as they did Part 8...leave a little more surprise that way.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Calderon wrote:OMG. Is this Jerry Horne speaking to me?
BigEd wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Here ya go, guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Literally holding a laptop up to a tree with no external mic):

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ZmZ4su6Obg
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LateReg wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
I think the buzz actually started with Jeff Jenson of EW tweeting that he had heard something. Then it went to Sabrina, then the Showtime weekly email about things getting weird, then Madchen on Twitter, then Deming as late as Saturday.
Correct. Mädchen wouldn't have known, Jeff Jensen wouldn't have known, even Showtime PR likely would not have known. They were tipped off. Same principle here.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Jasper wrote:
Calderon wrote:OMG. Is this Jerry Horne speaking to me?
BigEd wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Here ya go, guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Literally holding a laptop up to a tree with no external mic):

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ZmZ4su6Obg

Rad
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Calderon wrote:
Can you give us other sources? So far Dastmalchian's tweet is the only thing I've seen so far.
Yeah, and Jerry's tweet, but I don't know if he's basing that solely on what Dastmalchian said? Jerry?