Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bastia
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by bastia »

Pay attention to Diane's nails. She has different colors in that.. And one particular color for the spiritual finger :wink:

Also, I am quite sure that the scene with diane and badcoop is not really what it seems.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

counterpaul wrote:
BigEd wrote:This is what I'm reading from the arm:

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/48%C2% ... 17.4443222
I'm reading 4855142 117263458.

And if you translate that to 48°55'14.2"N 117°26'34.58"W and plug it into Google Maps you get a spot in Washington state just a hair south of the Canadian border and a few miles west of the state line. Sound familiar?

Pretty fun!

Why not just post the link? 8)

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/48%C2% ... 17.4429389
aldiboronti

Post by aldiboronti »

sewhite2000 wrote:That's cool that it worked that way for you, but I think it would be a stretch to assume Lynch intended it work that way for everybody, given the wide variety of musical knowledge various viewers would have. I'm very familiar with Elvis' music, so I recognized this song less than one second into the vocals starting.
Yes, I think many people would have recognized the song after the first few notes/words.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

docLEXfisti wrote:
Cappy wrote:The screaming woman and the little girl rising from the front seat like a possessed child was horrifying on my first watch, but on my second watch I couldn't stop laughing at the driver's constant and over-the-top screaming. Her voice became reminiscent of Chris Farley somehow... Did anyone else have this reaction?
I had the exact same reaction, laughed a lot while viewing the episode a 2nd and 3rd time. It's absolutely hilarious. And I guess the girl only has some food-poisoning. But it was filmed very dramatically.
"Only has some food poisoning?!" :lol: Better watch it a fourth time! :roll:
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

AJPRR2GO wrote:I would just like to point out, on the off chance that no one else already has, that seeing 2 people standing together (granted it was closely together) is literally ALL we have to go on and we have already decided that they are sleeping together.
Maybe Becky is just that nutty girl who can't handle their significant other having any kind of contact whatsoever with another woman?
Maybe this older (as so many people also seem to mention) woman is some form of mentor for Steven. Trying to help him in life, with work, with his addictions.
We have seen absolutely nothing to confirm that they are actually doing anything at all besides talking, and yet the amount of posts inferring that they are screwing are very high.... Probably all correctly.
I've seen suggestions on Facebook that she could be his mother. Which is not impossible.There's a strong theme of motherhood throughout the season. It's not my initial take-away, granted, but we have so little to actually work from.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote: It has been mentioned back a few pages, the sheriffs office is on a "go slow". They really need to get a move on. Wouldn't Ben have called someone and mentioned the key turning up out of the blue?
Why? Cooper, whose room he realises the key is for, was a guest 25 years ago. Presumably he lost his key and they provided a replacement at the time (or else there was a doppel-key!) but a past guest returning a key to their room isn't that weird. It's a bit of a novelty, granted, 25 years on, but that's exactly the sort of attention Ben gives it.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:I would just like to point out, on the off chance that no one else already has, that seeing 2 people standing together (granted it was closely together) is literally ALL we have to go on and we have already decided that they are sleeping together.
Maybe Becky is just that nutty girl who can't handle their significant other having any kind of contact whatsoever with another woman?
Maybe this older (as so many people also seem to mention) woman is some form of mentor for Steven. Trying to help him in life, with work, with his addictions.
We have seen absolutely nothing to confirm that they are actually doing anything at all besides talking, and yet the amount of posts inferring that they are screwing are very high.... Probably all correctly.
I've seen suggestions on Facebook that she could be his mother. Which is not impossible.There's a strong theme of motherhood throughout the season. It's not my initial take-away, granted, but we have so little to actually work from.
Mother? Yikes! Gersten got it going pretty early in life. She must have charmed some boys with that fairy outfit.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

OneEyedJack wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: The credits list Penderecki's "Threnody" again, but I don't recall hearing it. Where did it play?
You hear some of it along with some "woo woo woo's" when Becky is about to go off... like a bomb (during phone call to Shelly and when Shelly drives up)

edit: the woo woo's could also be the sound heard in Naido's/American Girls room when the lamp goes off at 2:53
Wife has a good ear, and she says it was in the scenes around Becky too, including the tracking shot down the hallway (which I thought was just Angelo background). I can't hear it, but Threnody is such a radical piece, it is hard to pick up.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

wxray wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote: I've seen suggestions on Facebook that she could be his mother. Which is not impossible.There's a strong theme of motherhood throughout the season. It's not my initial take-away, granted, but we have so little to actually work from.
Mother? Yikes! Gersten got it going pretty early in life. She must have charmed some boys with that fairy outfit.
Twin Peaks isn't entirely unknown for underaged girls having sex but, yeah, not something I like to consider too closely (the actor Caleb Landry Jones was born in 1989, but if the character Steven is significantly younger it might make more sense).

Technically he could be Donna's kid, and Gerstner is instead his aunt, which is a bit more palatable.

Still, you'd wonder why he was sneaking around with her, and why Becky is so angry. Which doesn't explicitly rule out the mother/aunt options (if anything it just begs more questions) but an affair does seem to be the most likely, given Becky's reaction.
NuShooz

Post by NuShooz »

BigEd wrote:
counterpaul wrote:

And if you translate that to 48°55'14.2"N 117°26'34.58"W and plug it into Google Maps you get a spot in Washington state just a hair south of the Canadian border and a few miles west of the state line. Sound familiar?

Pretty fun!

Why not just post the link? 8)

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/48%C2% ... 17.4429389
This is along a creek called "Middle Fork Flume Creek", if you put that into an anagram solver you get "Um, Kill Coffee Dream Dork". Okay, that was just a quick try with the solver, but it made me laugh. Might be something else in that anagram! :D
Last edited by NuShooz on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Bill Hasting's ending almost seems like a nod to JFK - head blown off in the back of a car
Oneeyedwaldo

Post by Oneeyedwaldo »

Great episode and some brilliant moments that have already been discussed.
I too have a feeling everything won't get resolved and that doesn't really bother me. Life goes on and situations in life don't resolve or end al at once and I think Lynch will want to show that.
All I want is a resolution to Cooper and the Lodges. Just give some kind of explanation and that will do me. In terms of all the sub plots I'm not really arsed tbh.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

psyifinotic wrote:
garethw wrote:
psyifinotic wrote:guys. its d sharp. dougie hears d sharp and gets an intense look. same pitch as the hum in the great northern. hmm
Neat. Do you have perfect pitch?
no i wish, just intuition and an iphone app lol
I think there is something to this. "Listen to the sounds." DougieCoop definitely perks up on hearing that D note from the piano.

My friend has perfect pitch and I asked her to analyze. She says the Great Northern hum is indeed a D#. The first piano note is a natural D, the second note a natural E.

I argued that they were the same! She's pretty darn picky with that ear and was insistent they were not both D#, regardless of iphone apps (which may conflate an overtone or the D and E together). However, she says not to worry about it because 99% of the world hears them the same in isolation like this and it is perfectly reasonable that Coop would perk up to this if the air is full of D# in the lodges.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

counterpaul wrote:

Pretty fun!

Albert pretty clearly starts to say "A small town in the north---" before being cut off. The implication is pretty clearly that it's TP, but it's odd that he wouldn't just refer to it by name. Both he and Gordon have been there, and it's the place where Coop disappeared and Briggs "died," the very subjects of their current investigation. I guess we're to assume that he was about to make a snarky/ironically dramatic reveal, but it's a bit odd.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

wxray wrote:My friend has perfect pitch and I asked her to analyze. She says the Great Northern hum is indeed a D#. The first piano note is a natural D, the second note a natural E.

I argued that they were the same! She's pretty darn picky with that ear and was insistent they were not both D#, regardless of iphone apps (which may conflate an overtone or the D and E together). However, she says not to worry about it because 99% of the world hears them the same in isolation like this and it is perfectly reasonable that Coop would perk up to this if the air is full of D# in the lodges.
Does she think the first three notes of "Heartbreaking" and the last two notes right before the Lynch/Frost logo are identical to the corresponding notes in the "Laura Palmer Theme"? It seems obvious to me, but I don't have perfect pitch and not many people seem to have picked up on it (most seem to have heard "Sycamore Trees" in the three notes that make Coop perk up, but I don't think the third note is right).