Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by firefly2193 »

LateReg wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:
Panapaok wrote:It is that high. It has been confirmed that the budget is on par with Showtime's other big dramas, which all have less episodes than TP. It has many locations, many sets built, a ginormous cast and tons of visual effects. There's also what I'm sure was a very big paycheck to Lynch, Frost and Maclachlan. It's a super expensive show for Showtime.
Yeah fair enough, I believe it. Just initially hard to believe it had 2/3 of the budget of something like Game of Thrones, given the general gulf in special effect quality between the two shows. Part 8 felt to me like a $4.5 million dollar episode, the others less so. Hopefully there's some incredible work on that level in the final third of this show.
I hear what you're saying, but 18 hours is so much more than Game of Thrones. I can only assume that plays a factor in the higher budget, as time is money, and more locations and actors are being used, etc. Also, the effects in Part 8 were, imo, better than anything in Game of Thrones. The effects in the rest of the series were probably also costly (Counterpaul has posted intelligently about how they're professionally rendered), even though they don't look "realistic."
I was basing that off $6 million per ep for Game of Thrones and $4.4 million per ep for TPTR. I didn't mean to be critical or give any judgement of the effects in TPTR, but you can see my point about why I was a little skeptical of the budget being that high. I'm sure the filming in so many locations etc is a big part of the TPTR budget, and agree that Part 8 felt like big bidget television. I wonder/hope that at least the final few parts also have that feel, with whatever goes down.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

It's going to be the musical episode. The tag line is "Let's Rock." Sabrina is doing a special screening at the Roadhouse. And dastmalchian is quoting Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side." It's the only believable option. Industrial Symphony No. 2 hahahaha I'm kidding of course but I also wouldn't put it past them at this point
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Saturn's child wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:Is that him in the lodge?
It would appear that way, but the floor looks kind of wonky... maybe it's a replication?
Either way, all the vague auguries are aligning, let's (rock) see what happens!
He said it's from the party
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Never...be...the same. Makes me think we will finally get the Vedder track on this episode I've listened to that song at least 50 times already can't wait. I actually told a buddy of mine watch it be a musical episode. Also remember Bowie produced Reed's transformer. Lou reed in twin peaks would be pure bliss. Was already excited but now I'm counting the seconds. I'm also expecting it could be a full red room episode
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

frompureair wrote:Never...be...the same. Makes me think we will finally get the Vedder track on this episode I've listened to that song at least 50 times already can't wait. I actually told a buddy of mine watch it be a musical episode. Also remember Bowie produced Reed's transformer. Lou reed in twin peaks would be pure bliss. Was already excited but now I'm counting the seconds. I'm also expecting it could be a full red room episode
Ever even occurred to me about the Bowie connection. I even view transformer as a Bowie album but with Reed lyrics. Also, another connection would be Little Jimmy Scott appearing on Lou's Magic and Loss from 1992. An album about cancer, alchemy, and the main subject is Doc Pomus, someone Lynch is a fan of. Would be cool but I highly doubt it. Highly recommend Magic and Loss though. There are even some other connection you could make to Peaks.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

frompureair wrote:Never...be...the same. Makes me think we will finally get the Vedder track on this episode I've listened to that song at least 50 times already can't wait. I actually told a buddy of mine watch it be a musical episode. Also remember Bowie produced Reed's transformer. Lou reed in twin peaks would be pure bliss. Was already excited but now I'm counting the seconds. I'm also expecting it could be a full red room episode
Holy shit you are so right Lou Reed is totally going to be In it! He definitely didn't die 3 years before Bowie

edit: Oh you mean Eddie Vedder playing a Lou Reed song
Last edited by ScarFace32 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:I wonder if he got a haircut during his little break? I think it's only a matter of time until he alters his appearance to look exactly like the real Dale Cooper.
I wonder what could prompt him to do that?
I feel like it's inevitable that the walls will continue to close in on DoppelCoop. His actions will get more and more desperate, especially once he discovers what happened to Dougie. When he learns that the real Dale Cooper is out in the world, I think he'll use their likeness to create confusion and chaos.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

trismegistus wrote: I even view transformer as a Bowie album but with Reed lyrics.
Boy, for your sake it's a good thing Lou is dead. Still, watch out for angry New York ghosts with expensive glasses.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I meant a Lou reed song not the man himself. I would have never imagined it before this season but now that any music can show up in the show I can see several of his tracks being "perfect" for the show.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Skip Bittman wrote:
trismegistus wrote: I even view transformer as a Bowie album but with Reed lyrics.
Boy, for your sake it's a good thing Lou is dead. Still, watch out for angry New York ghosts with expensive glasses.
I was more referring to Bowie producing the album and how much THAT album sounds more like Bowie than Lou's self produced stuff. But I also wouldn't mind if the ghost of Lou Reed started haunting me hahaha
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

We have to keep in mind, I think, that Lynch has told us The Return is structured like a movie. This means that the plot will begin to tighten and speed up as we approach the end. We're headed towards climax, but we can expect little climaxes to increase along the way.

I'm sure they'll still need to get into exposition and Lynchian atmospherics during 12-16, but I think this segment of the movie will likely move faster than we've seen, part by part, yet.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Candie came from out on the island...
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

frompureair wrote:I meant a Lou reed song not the man himself. I would have never imagined it before this season but now that any music can show up in the show I can see several of his tracks being "perfect" for the show.
I've always thought that the two artists actually have quite a lot in common thematically although with VERY different approaches. I'm under the impression that Dastmalchian's tweet is less connected with Lou and rather just a use of The song title to create a clever turn of phrase when combined with "Fire Walk With Me." Unless there's something important about Candie this episode. Who knows.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Maybe Cooper doesn't say "Let's Rock", maybe someone says it to him and it triggers something.

We've been speculating someone needs to go to the other dimension to get the shoes, maybe Candie does so, or she somehow gets the phrase "Let's rock" and says it. I don't know why I'm still speculating with so little time to go.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AgentEcho wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:I wonder who will say "Let's rock" tonight?
We've been pretty much fooled so far, so I guess it's one of the Mitchums getting drunk and turning on some music.
"Laura is the one" was definitely uttered by the most obvious candidate. This is the second time there's been a phrase that's been uttered before in the TP universe that's been designated the title of a new season episode. Who knows if that's a trend but the first one was said by the original character, so I'll at least throw out the Evolution of the Arm as a candidate.
"My log has a message for you" was also pretty transparent. While the titles have been a bit cheeky, any uses of quotes/iconography from the original show have been pretty straightforward, so I disagree with the sentiment that we should expect to be "fooled" tonight.