Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Ragnell »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
We've been pretty much fooled so far, so I guess it's one of the Mitchums getting drunk and turning on some music.
"Laura is the one" was definitely uttered by the most obvious candidate. This is the second time there's been a phrase that's been uttered before in the TP universe that's been designated the title of a new season episode. Who knows if that's a trend but the first one was said by the original character, so I'll at least throw out the Evolution of the Arm as a candidate.
"My log has a message for you" was also pretty transparent. While the titles have been a bit cheeky, any uses of quotes/iconography from the original show have been pretty straightforward, so I disagree with the sentiment that we should expect to be "fooled" tonight.

Honestly, when it comes to these titles I don't see how we're getting fooled. Aside from "Brings back some memories" and "Laura is the one" the statements all seem to be indicating themes and events happening in each storyline. With the exception of "Gotta Light?" they haven't really thrown a huge curveball on who you'd expect to say a line. There's nothing to indicate they're specifically trying to fool us with these.

"Let's rock" may not be a statement said by or to Cooper himself, but I don't think we're setting ourselves up for a huge disappointment to expect it to tie to either his Red Room dream or Chet Desmond's disappearance. And I bet whoever says it, the majority of the plotlines will have some moment of resonance to that original Red Room dream just like the FWWM writing called that scene to mind.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
We've been pretty much fooled so far, so I guess it's one of the Mitchums getting drunk and turning on some music.
"Laura is the one" was definitely uttered by the most obvious candidate. This is the second time there's been a phrase that's been uttered before in the TP universe that's been designated the title of a new season episode. Who knows if that's a trend but the first one was said by the original character, so I'll at least throw out the Evolution of the Arm as a candidate.
"My log has a message for you" was also pretty transparent. While the titles have been a bit cheeky, any uses of quotes/iconography from the original show have been pretty straightforward, so I disagree with the sentiment that we should expect to be "fooled" tonight.
Yeah, the Log Lady ones have been easily detectable - but apart from her? AgentEcho may well be correct in guessing the Evolution of the Arm - I just thought it would be typical of the show to give us a red herring. A bit like when scores of viewers expected Audrey to show up with an unlit cigarette :lol:
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm also going to go out on a "limb" and guess that The Arm pops up to Cooper and says, Let's Rock, for some reason, maybe to jar his memory into a flashback sequence or to transport him somewhere.

Squeeze his hand off!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Ragnell wrote:Honestly, when it comes to these titles I don't see how we're getting fooled. Aside from "Brings back some memories" and "Laura is the one" the statements all seem to be indicating themes and events happening in each storyline. With the exception of "Gotta Light?" they haven't really thrown a huge curveball on who you'd expect to say a line. There's nothing to indicate they're specifically trying to fool us with these.

"Let's rock" may not be a statement said by or to Cooper himself, but I don't think we're setting ourselves up for a huge disappointment to expect it to tie to either his Red Room dream or Chet Desmond's disappearance. And I bet whoever says it, the majority of the plotlines will have some moment of resonance to that original Red Room dream just like the FWWM writing called that scene to mind.
It was more a comment on our own speculations before each episode ("who is going to utter the words in the episode titles"), and not about whether the show itself diverges from the titles. Tonight's show may well be a red room episode, but it could be someone unrelated saying "Let's rock". Like Belushi, for example.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Jasper wrote:
Calderon wrote:OMG. Is this Jerry Horne speaking to me?
BigEd wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Two owls. Twins? Coop and doppelcoop? Cooper and Laura? Maybe it's straightforward and I should just predict owls and trees at night.
Two birds, one stone(d) poster? :lol: (jk Jasper)
Here ya go, guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Literally holding a laptop up to a tree with no external mic):

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ZmZ4su6Obg
So there really was a pair of hooters outside your window?! Nice! I thought you were just dreaming..... :lol:
C-Lee

Post by C-Lee »

We're deff getting Coop back tonight.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

C-Lee wrote:We're deff getting Coop back tonight.
Don't jinx it!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BigEd wrote:So there really was a pair of hooters outside your window?! Nice! I thought you were just dreaming..... :lol:
I was livin' the dream. :)
C-Lee wrote:We're deff getting Coop back tonight.
Oh boy, a lot of people have been saying that for a lot of episodes. People thought it was happening when he Janey-E first gave him a cup of coffee. We shall see.

All I know is that it'll happen when it happens.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Anyone knows if that weird site that keeps leaking quotes from the following episode mentioned anything?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

My prediction:

(5 min before episode ends)

ROADHOUSE - NIGHT

Roadhouse presenter: "Ladies and gentleman, The Pearl Jam!"

Eddie Vedder: "Let's Rock!"
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Commercialsihate.com and no I just came from there and nothing yet. Also no on Vedder being the one to say it. I have heard "Out of Sand" and I expect it to be a very important song and a very important part of the film when it plays. The song alone is very emotional and very moving alone put that with the return and it could be as good as Julie Cruise singing in the original. I expect it to be a very pivotal part.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

The Gazebo wrote:
Ragnell wrote:Honestly, when it comes to these titles I don't see how we're getting fooled. Aside from "Brings back some memories" and "Laura is the one" the statements all seem to be indicating themes and events happening in each storyline. With the exception of "Gotta Light?" they haven't really thrown a huge curveball on who you'd expect to say a line. There's nothing to indicate they're specifically trying to fool us with these.

e.
That observation would suggest that the evolution of the arm will say "let's rock" . I hope we see more of the arm. I can't get enough of that electric brain tree thing. I want one for my front yard. If I were to cut off my arm and plant it, would that work?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Been on vacation and couldn't really back read too much so I apologize in advance if this was mentioned before but does anyone get the strong distinct possibility that the honking woman in the car was a lodge spirit and was telling Bobby that he and Hawk and co. Need to hurry up and get bad Cooper and the other lodge spirits that want to go back in the lodge? That's what I got out of it at least.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Been on vacation and couldn't really back read too much so I apologize in advance if this was mention before but does anyone get the strong distinct possibility that the honking woman in the car was a lodge spirit and was telling Bobby that he and Hawk and co. Need to hurry up and bad Cooper and the other lodge spirits that want to go back in the lodge? That's what I got out of it at least.
This has crossed my mind. It is a distinct possibility. The other theory being that the woman is wrapped up in this Sparkle epidemic and the kid was overdosing.

Also a distinct possibility we will never see or hear from them again.

What a fantastic scene though.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

Monday Morning Revelation / Thought of the Day!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SohNb7WjDp0/ ... o1_500.gif

http://fogknife.com/images/posts/twin-p ... nt-die.png

Comparing Candie's hand / arm waving with Philip Gerard's hand / arm waving !!!!!!

maybe something here?
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!