Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Nighthawk »

Calderon wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Nighthawk wrote: Considering how many characters, themes, mythologies, mysterious forces, and plain random events are going on in TPTR, the current pace implies that we will not get to revisit a lot of them and just brush on the surface of others. Part 11 had maybe five plot moving events and the rest was just a build up to them. Dougie befriending the Mitchum brothers took half of the episode alone and it feels like that could have been handled in 8-10 minutes. We've already seen that Lynch can turn up the pace, like he did with part 7, which of course was followed (intentionally I assume) with the bizarre, extremely slow, but artistically ingenious part 8.
Plot, schmlott.

If you want to see a show full of plot twists, go check out any generic movie/TV show. They are a dime a dozen.

Twin Peaks is not a plot driven show. It's driven by those moments when a man's foot rebels against his body.
For me this is one of the big misconceptions about Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks is sometimes bizarre, very cryptic and hard to understand, but in the end it's one of the most complexly plot driven shows I've ever seen. Mood, atmosphere and characters are a huge part of Twin Peaks, but they are not everything.
That's pretty much how I perceive it as well. If Twin Peaks was just an assortment of bizarre and ultimately meaningless scenes, even if they possessed an artistic value, then it would not be very enjoyable. The great thing about it is that there are meanings, there is cause and effect, and there is a good reason to speculate about it all. We may be wrong most of the time, but it's not because the show is devoid of plot. It's just that it's so difficult to anticipate where it is going to go. I can't stress it enough that I am not trying to be negative about TPTR. I am enjoying it immensely. I am just worried that we are running out of time to explore all of the interesting threads that have been drawn out in various directions. I wish we knew that there is another season to go.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

sewhite2000 wrote:So, what DO people think? One person hinted at distressing ratings news in a post some pages back on here without any elaboration whatsoever, but I haven't seen any concrete info at all. Anyone know how Twin Peaks: the Return is doing?
I am not up on the way shows are judged by viewership, but ratings is only one side to the story. Subscriptions and other factors would come into assessing the overall "viewer success" of The Return.

Critics seem to be overwhelmingly praising the show, and I very rarely see any negative commentary. If these are indicators, then it should bode well for another "event" in the future. What that would be, who knows. I think if you asked the cast, they would overwhelmingly jump right back in.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:So, what DO people think? One person hinted at distressing ratings news in a post some pages back on here without any elaboration whatsoever, but I haven't seen any concrete info at all. Anyone know how Twin Peaks: the Return is doing?
I am not up on the way shows are judged by viewership, but ratings is only one side to the story. Subscriptions and other factors would come into assessing the overall "viewer success" of The Return.

Critics seem to be overwhelmingly praising the show, and I very rarely see any negative commentary. If these are indicators, then it should bode well for another "event" in the future. What that would be, who knows. I think if you asked the cast, they would overwhelmingly jump right back in.
Ratings on a pay-per-view channel are not comparable to anything broadcast on regular cable, but here is a listing of Showtime series' ratings:
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/showt ... ngs-33448/

Twin Peaks is a lowly 11th out of 14 shows, but it's 2nd out of 5 when compared to other new shows. Technically TP is in season 3, but in reality it is a new show for most people. I think that TP is on course to win a lot of awards that will generate a much needed buzz though. The younger generation of viewers has probably never seen the original so the Return doesn't seem interesting to them.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Showtime reported their biggest day and weekend of new subscriptions for their streaming service when Twin Peaks began. A lot of people are saying that these subscriptions are the most important thing from a business standpoint, including Showtime.

I don’t have any international figures for live viewing. U.S. live viewership (which does not include streaming) in millions is as follows:

Parts 1 & 2 — 0.506
Parts 3 & 4 — 0.195
Part 5 — 0.254
Part 6 — 0.270
Part 7 — 0.294
Part 8 — 0.246
Part 9 — 0.355
Part 10 — 0.267 (Game of Thrones season 7 begins)
Part 11 — 0.219
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Jasper wrote:
Showtime reported their biggest day and weekend of new subscriptions for their streaming service when Twin Peaks began. A lot of people are saying that these subscriptions are the most important thing from a business standpoint, including Showtime.

I don’t have any international figures for live viewing. U.S. live viewership (which does not include streaming) in millions is as follows:

Parts 1 & 2 — 0.506
Parts 3 & 4 — 0.195
Part 5 — 0.254
Part 6 — 0.270
Part 7 — 0.294
Part 8 — 0.246
Part 9 — 0.355
Part 11 — 0.219

I know that it doesn't count in ratings, but there are so many people who are watching all around the world! I would subscribe to showtime, but I can't, being from italy :)
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Wow, ask and ye shall receive! Thanks for the numbers, Nighthawk and Jasper, though now, I'm not sure I wanted to know! :(

Hopefully, the bit about new subscribers via streaming service is encouraging (I am one of those people). While I acknowledge it was pretty much a miracle we ever got a new season at all, I'm already dreading the nearness of the end and am desperately hoping for a second season to maintain my fix.
Meaxylon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Meaxylon »

I watch it on HBO Nordic. One or two weeks ago (before Game of Thrones new season) HBO Nordic shared a post with the currently most streamed shows. Twin Peaks The Return was no 2 on that list.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

mtwentz wrote:
nick1218 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:What???????

If it makes you ask, "I wonder where they're going next with this?", that's pretty much the posted definition of "cliffhanger". Look it up on dictionary.com!

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cliffhanger?s=t

The term dates back to the movie serials before there were TV shows.

If "an installment ends in suspense in order to interest the ... viewer in the next installment," it's a cliffhanger. Evil Cooper being let loose on the Earth possessed by BOB is one million per cent a cliffhanger! I don't even understand what you're saying.
Nope, wrong. You can put 100 question marks if you want. Interest in next installment is not equal to cliffhanger. When Cooper was shot and we didnt know who THAT was a cliffhanger. If we go your your definition then every episode of almost every tv show is a cliffhanger. You have to be judicious with the word
You guys all should get tickets to that Hairsplitter's Convention :-)
I think you'll find it's Hairsplitters' Convention. :P
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Meaxylon wrote: I like this theory! I almost forgot about Linda but isn't it about time to get introduced to that character? This would create a connection between Richard and Linda (through Miriam).
I keep forgetting about Richard and Linda. I hope all those things that are spoken of at the beginning mean that Cooper will at some stage 'wake up', in order to deal with specific things the Giant told him about.

Man, if that IS a flash forward after all that it means we won't find out about those things till another season!

What a cliffhanger!
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Nighthawk wrote:
Calderon wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Plot, schmlott.

If you want to see a show full of plot twists, go check out any generic movie/TV show. They are a dime a dozen.

Twin Peaks is not a plot driven show. It's driven by those moments when a man's foot rebels against his body.
For me this is one of the big misconceptions about Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks is sometimes bizarre, very cryptic and hard to understand, but in the end it's one of the most complexly plot driven shows I've ever seen. Mood, atmosphere and characters are a huge part of Twin Peaks, but they are not everything.
That's pretty much how I perceive it as well. If Twin Peaks was just an assortment of bizarre and ultimately meaningless scenes, even if they possessed an artistic value, then it would not be very enjoyable. The great thing about it is that there are meanings, there is cause and effect, and there is a good reason to speculate about it all. We may be wrong most of the time, but it's not because the show is devoid of plot. It's just that it's so difficult to anticipate where it is going to go. I can't stress it enough that I am not trying to be negative about TPTR. I am enjoying it immensely. I am just worried that we are running out of time to explore all of the interesting threads that have been drawn out in various directions. I wish we knew that there is another season to go.
I'm ok with everything not being tied up in a neat package. It will give us all something to continue to talk about when this is over.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Jasper wrote: Showtime reported their biggest day and weekend of new subscriptions for their streaming service when Twin Peaks began. A lot of people are saying that these subscriptions are the most important thing from a business standpoint, including Showtime.

Parts 1 & 2 — 0.506
Parts 3 & 4 — 0.195
Part 5 — 0.254
Part 6 — 0.270
Part 7 — 0.294
Part 8 — 0.246
Part 9 — 0.355
Part 11 — 0.219
Thanks for that info. I didn't realise the numbers. Huge drop from the first week and second week. Since GoT it is now (dare I say this) in a new time slot? There are still a lot of other measures to be factored in. (sounding hopeful)

I had a hunt for some information in Australia (Stan). Surprised that there are only 600K active subscribers to Stan. I didn't go looking any further.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

I remember me and my friend having an argument about The Italian Job. He said it needed a proper ending and I was more 'but no one will ever forget this film now and speculate for years.'

See also, The Prisoner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

nonemoreblack wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Calderon wrote:
I'm ok with everything not being tied up in a neat package. It will give us all something to continue to talk about when this is over.
There is a difference between exploring various plots and resolving them. I am perfectly fine with open ended, ambiguous conclusions.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I would take those second week viewing figures with a grain of salt. People who got Showtime's streaming service could watch the first four episodes on the very first night! And most of them probably did (I didn't. I didn't want to go two weeks without seeing anything at all, so I only watched the first two episodes the first night, and the next two episodes a week later, but I'm sure I was in the minority). I think that's why the numbers for Eps 3-4 are so much lower than any other week. A lot of people had seen them already.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Nighthawk wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
There is a difference between exploring various plots and resolving them. I am perfectly fine with open ended, ambiguous conclusions.
What plots are you referring to?