Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by thedarktrees »

It's kind of funny that after the piles and piles of posts and discussion around whether Miriam was alive, and then Miriam's letter, and finally whether/how Richard would actually get caught -- all this wiped out with one scene by Frank Truman saying they basically know everything. Without even a hint as to how they put it all together!
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Diane had a tiny crystal ball on her fingernail as she was looking up the coordinates on her phone. Audrey and Charlie were talking about a crystal ball earlier and it seems to connect to the orb ball and map of the united states in episode 8. Also, crystal ball <----> chrysta bell connection?

Episode in general much better on a rewatch.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

thedarktrees wrote:It's kind of funny that after the piles and piles of posts and discussion around whether Miriam was alive, and then Miriam's letter, and finally whether/how Richard would actually get caught -- all this wiped out with one scene by Frank Truman saying they basically know everything. Without even a hint as to how they put it all together!
Maybe Ben will accidentally end up paying the medical bills for Miriam Hodge instead of Miriam Sullivan.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

dropkick23 wrote:Diane had a tiny crystal ball on her fingernail as she was looking up the coordinates on her phone. Audrey and Charlie were talking about a crystal ball earlier and it seems to connect to the orb ball and map of the united states in episode 8. Also, crystal ball <----> chrysta bell connection?

dude, plot and story aren't supposed to be conspiratorial. i don't wan't a rewatch. i want something to keep me up at night.
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

dropkick23 wrote:Diane had a tiny crystal ball on her fingernail as she was looking up the coordinates on her phone. Audrey and Charlie were talking about a crystal ball earlier and it seems to connect to the orb ball and map of the united states in episode 8. Also, crystal ball <----> chrysta bell connection?

When Diane returned to the bar to look up coordinates -- had her outfit changed? The green top she wore looked new. I thought she'd had something different on earlier.
The time of day [or evening] was very much identified, spoken or alluded to during this Part 12. Gordon states it's 11:05 in mistaking Albert's question; and Dr. Jacoby announces "It's 7:00!" to kick off his new (ha, or recycled) podcast; "It's late" says Charlie when apologizing over the phone to Tina for calling at that hour; and Diane tells the bartender "I know you're closed." I don't know what to make of it whether it means anything but I did notice it.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Framed_Angel wrote:

When Diane returned to the bar to look up coordinates -- had her outfit changed? The green top she wore looked new. I thought she'd had something different on earlier.
The time of day [or evening] was very much identified, spoken or alluded to during this Part 12. Gordon states it's 11:05 in mistaking Albert's question; and Dr. Jacoby announces "It's 7:00!" to kick off his new (ha, or recycled) podcast; "It's late" says Charlie when apologizing over the phone to Tina for calling at that hour; and Diane tells the bartender "I know you're closed." I don't know what to make of it whether it means anything but I did notice it.
Diane originally had a red top on. The same one she wore when she saw Mr C in prison. I didn't really notice the times, but it felt like it was all over the shop.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I agree with the consensus, this was the weakest Part for me upon first viewing (we'll see whether future viewings change that). Having said that, the only thing I outright disliked was the flagrant reuse of the Dr. Amp scene (I adored the shovel-painting and the original Dr. Amp scene, found the Part 10 revisiting of the broadcast a tad repetitive, but THIS was plain laziness/padding). I know, I know, there are all sorts of theories that this was meant to signify some sort of time displacement. I'll just say that, as a huge fan of DKL's work with a decent feel for his style and editing rhythms, I don't believe that was the intent here. We'll see. But if there's nothing more to it, I really have to wonder...DKL claims this is a "movie" and not a TV season, yet the reuse of an entire scene certainly feels more like something that might happen in an episodic series than a movie.

I didn't love the Blue Rose cases being explained in a very straightforward way -- felt painfully un-Lynchian. Also, Albert being a member of Blue Rose alongside Chet and Dale feels like a massive retcon -- wasn't he completely skeptical during the original run when Dale would mention Giants and dwarves (confining his findings to the planet Earth)?

I actually love the various scenes of randos in the Roadhouse -- it gives a sense of a fleshed-out community that was often lacking in the original show after the Pilot TBH, and the "slice of life" quality is charming, almost Altman-esque. These have actually been some of my favorite scenes of the show. Great to see Coffey, and Ana de la Reguera is now one of the all-time most attractive TP females in my book. The Chromatics song didn't pack the same punch as their earlier contribution, tho'.

So we last saw Mr. C waaaay back at the very start of Part 9 -- we've gone basically four full Parts without seeing him. This was also by far the least we've seen of Kyle MacLachlan in any TP episode ever.

I didn't hate the Audrey scene, although I'm holding off judgment one way or the other until we have more context. I'm cautiously pleased that DKL took Audrey's story in a totally unpredictable direction. While I stand by my initial reaction that this was the weakest Part, I do think my viewing of this Part suffered from my being exhausted. In this scene, however, I think that actually worked to the show's benefit: I really sympathized with Charlie complaining that he had to be up in the morning and being too tired to go to the Roadhouse. I loved the 6 bazillion names of unseen characters being dropped, in both this scene and the closing Roadhouse scene. Reminded me of DKL's short The Amputee starring Catherine Coulson. I think a lot of what people are interpreting as "trolling" (a relatively recent concept DKL has likely never heard of and has no interest in) is actually shaggy-dog storytelling, a real lost art in today's fast-paced media.

Best for last: The Sarah stuff was INCREDIBLE. Just amazing work by Zabriskie and Lynch. Sarah's dialogue with Hawk might even surpass Zabriskie's brilliant turn in IE. I do wonder how her supermarket outburst relates to her seeming possession in Episode 29 when she gives Garland his message (many of us assumed MfAP was speaking through her, but could it have been DoppelCoop, given Garland's fate?).

Overall, this just felt like a Part that was less than the sum of its parts (no pun intended). I didn't have a specific problem with most of the scenes, except as mentioned above, but the overall effect of this particular combination felt pretty underwhelming, the magnificent Sarah stuff aside.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Framed_Angel wrote:

She had the exact same top on that was shown in the flashback in the same scene (sparkling green). So if she had a red top on earlier then she must have either changed back to the same green top from before or the scene at the bar is misleadingly from the night before.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Haven't read the thread yet but my first impressions were as follows.

this is probably my least favorite episode of the series so far.. here's what I liked/loved on first viewing: most of the Twin Peaks scenes were wonderful! the way it was shot and directed where gorgeos all the way through, loads of beautiful angles and set ups that really had that TP feeling.

* everything with Sarah Palmer was pure gold all the way from picking up bottles to her meeting with Hawk. beautiful!
* Tthe conversation between Truman and Ben was perfect. Both are great actors that truly have sunk their teeth into these roles. it was good to see the 315 key get into the hands of the TP police department Also since Ben says that Richard never had a father I think we can all lay to rest the fact that Audrey is Richard's mother.
* Which brings us to Audrey! Man just seeing her is so powerful and her acting was TOP NOTCH here. it seems she has married some rich scmuck for his money only and is meeting another guy named Billy to fuck her and love her. Either way I loved her scene despite not really knowing what was going on.
* Jerry finally getting out of the woods haha.. short but sweet :)
* The short cut of DougieCoop and Sonny Jim playing catch was also funny. did y'all see how cool that small section was shot and directed (i'm talking the whole LV scene).
* The scene with Warden Murphy being assassinated by Huch and his wife was chilling and very well done. horrible when his little son ran out screaming for his dad and Hutch was like "Next stop Wendys".. that's COLD!

what I didn't like was mainly everything that had to do with Gordon and the Blue Rose team.. at first when they were talking about Project Blue Book and how it was shut down in the '70s i was hyped because of how it connected with The secret History but then...

* When they then literally spelled out exactly what the Blue Rose means and invited Tammy I was like "Get the fuck out of here"!!! i really don't want the Blue Rose to be explained at all, it in itself should remain a mystery.

* And then the scene with Gordon having wine with that young beautiful model had me cringing. What the fuck Lynch? it just felt wrong on so many levels and didn't work at all for me.

* we haven't seen Bad Coop since episode 9.. i want to know what's up with him.

* At the end of that long Audrey scene she said she was going to the Roadhouse which set up something going down with her and that Billy during the Roadhouse performancce, instead we get two girs we haven't seen before (or have we?) talking about god knows what over ANOTHER performance by CHhomatics. There music is good but there's so many great artists out there that could've gotten that spot. Also their music is HEAVILY synth based so why don't they have a synthesizer player up there with them. A minor gripe but still.

I was super suprised when it said "Starring Kyle Machlan" though, this episode really flew by, i thought maybe 35-40 minutes had passed at that point. I really loved a lot o this episode but the Gordon/Albert/Tammy scenes dragged it down a bit for me.. it should be noted that i have slept very bad tonight and put on the TV/comp at about 4:30 this morning, brew some coffee and watched it so i will definitely have to do a rewatch - most of these episodes get better on rewatches. maybe i'll do it tonight
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Came on here to make a point only to read that same point literally in 90% of the comments on here.

So let me say it again first half of this episode was awesome second half was very annoying. Last good scene of episode for me was Ben and Franks. Audrey's was weird and random and just felt out of character. It was literally just pure dialogue. I felt like I was watching a scene in acting class. Not commenting on the actors more so how it was shot and written.

On a positive note. I got so excited when the "Lets rock" theme from FWWM played during Dianne's and Sarah Palmers scenes today. That and the mention of Chet Desmond whom the theme plays a large part in made me think for a split second we'd get a surprise cameo from him but I guess I'll settle for the music...
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Reminded me of DKL's short The Amputee starring Catherine Coulson. I think a lot of what people are interpreting as "trolling" (a relatively recent concept DKL has likely never heard of and has no interest in) is actually shaggy-dog storytelling, a real lost art in today's fast-paced media.
I'd actually never heard the term shaggy-dog story and looked it up, and I agree it perfectly characterizes a lot of what Lynch has been doing. Most shaggy-dog storytellers don't have the benefit of 25 years of buildup to toy with.

Thanks for introducing me to the term, I now realize I was a shaggy dog story teller when I was a kid, I just didn't know what the term was. It's no wonder a lot of this humor is connecting with me.
starmand
Roadhouse Member

Post by starmand »

David Bowie, Chris Isaak and now Chrysta Bell... a lot of musicians become Blue Rose agents huh?
zmccain

Post by zmccain »

What a piece of **** episode! And Audrey? Aaahhaaaahaaaaa!!!! :lol:
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

wAtChLaR wrote:wow that "bumbling vegetable" comment was rough...25 years locked in another world, deconstructed through an electrical outlet...and all should be fine?
Y'all I didn't mean ill by that comment, I've loved and defended Dougie since the beginning. Bad turn of phrase on my part yo. I referred to him as such because he's been reacted to (by a sizeable margin) negatively and called variations of such. "Why is Cooper a bumbling vegetable?? Why is Cooper not Cooper? LYNCH IS FUCKING WITH ME BY NOT GIVING ME WHAT I WANT!" It's in line with the negative reaction to Audrey: "Audrey didn't get out of Twin Peaks and doesn't own a business and isn't a paper pusher, LYNCH HATES AUDREY AND HATES THE FANS!"
blue_tomorrows wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Audrey's return being the opposite of what everyone thought it would (I.E. projected as what everyone wanted) totally looks the point imo, just like Cooper returning as a bumbling vegetable.
God, I hope not. If that's the point, then the entire show is nothing but a cynical manipulation with no larger meaning beyond "it's fun to f**k with people". Seeing such a great artist go down that path would be the most depressing thing ever.

12 hours in, though, and I'm short on evidence to prove your theory incorrect. :(
Heftily, thoroughly disagree. Not to be harsh but that's taking it way too personally. Not giving in to a fan's expected perfect dream for the character isn't fucking with people nor playing ill by the character. Call me back when Audrey is depicted as a drugged out homeless mess and then maybe we'll start talking.
Last edited by SpookyDollhouse on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm disappointed to see such a negative reaction towards this episode.
I thought it had a lot of the best scenes of the series so far - Sarah Palmer, Ben Horne, Gordon & Albert. Some perplexing moments for sure, but I was thoroughly satisfied tonight.