Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cgs027
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by cgs027 »

Rami Airola wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
- Dr. Amp - Still not sure it was 100% recycled, but it definitely felt like it. I do think it was included more to remind the audience of the Alex Jones character Jacoby now is/plays. Was it necessary? Probably not, but for those who'd forgotten about Dr. Amp it served as a reminder.
Why we need to be reminded of that?
There are plenty of other things people surely have already forgotten. Why not show the Eyeless Woman to remind us of her instead of showing almost exact same scenes of Jacoby and Nadine? If there isn't any big twist to the Jacoby thing then these scenes have just been bad television.
Agreed 100%. I would have been fine with 3 minutes of Dougie having a ball thrown at him rather than padding the episode with recycled footage. Some of Jacoby's speech towards the end was obviously new (and I'm sure Lynch just had him shoot a bunch of rants on set at once so he could later chop them up as he saw fit), but to lazily reuse the intro footage just to fill out the time was odd. And I'm not buying into multiple timelines wrt to this scene -- as I said, there is some new footage mixed in here. Obviously, Jacoby would do a similar intro to every podcast, so it was just a cheap way to insert a stopgap, IMO.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

crash_and_burn wrote:
garethw wrote:There are a heck of a lot of references to smoking in this show.

Gotta light?

The spelling of that's kind of odd. Out of context, wouldn't one would naturally read that as a contraction of "got to light"?
It's standard spelling for the short-hand vernacular usage of "Have you got a light?"
But it's not short hand - that was my point.

"Gotta go" = "Got to go". That's a contraction. When people speak, they don't enunciate the word "to".

"Got a light" is exactly how it is written and spoken, so there is no contraction. If it's really meant to mean "got a light", it's wrong.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Audrey:

The only way the scene can be redeemed is if Audrey is trapped in a Club Silencio type of situation. Many of the elements are there, so much so that this is what I am leaning towards. (Who says "milquetoast"? Lol) Similar vibe to the Mr K. scenes from IE, even down to the phone call. No mention of horses and wells in the call though, so my guess is that Audrey is no where near ready to wake up from her coma, which is why Frank Truman went to grandpa to break the news about Audrey's child.
Someone on another board had a theory that it's actually Audrey in a mental facility and the 'husband' she is talking to is actually her psychiatrist.
Interesting theory. But there was the guy who ran into the Double R asking if anyone had seen Billy
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i'm now fully in the richard is johnny's son's camp. they intentionally put richard visiting grandma in the same episode dougiecoop had sex with janey.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

question - does norma still have super strength? if so, she could be a valuable asset to the black lodge if the woodsmen are able to get to her via jacoby's airwaves.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

wAtChLaR wrote: Interesting theory. But there was the guy who ran into the Double R asking if anyone had seen Billy
That brings up the weird crowd/customer switch moment again. Somehow that's tied to Audrey.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

yaxomoxay wrote:Is it me or in the grocery scene, when Sarah says "Where you here when they first came?" her voice is delayed and distorted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The way she acted and the things she said gave me goosebumps. I'll have to re-watch to make sense of it. These scenes were epic.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

djsunyc wrote:question - does norma still have super strength? if so, she could be a valuable asset to the black lodge if the woodsmen are able to get to her via jacoby's airwaves.
Norma never had super strength, Nadine did. Perhaps she can take out a few woodsmen when needed. Particularly if Ed is in danger.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote: The original Twin Peaks was basically accused of the same thing, 'It has no plot', 'the plot doesn't move!', the 'plot moves at a snail's pace'. Remember, if Lynch and Frost had had their way, Laura Palmer's case never would have been solved. The pacing was thus picked up in order to wrap up the murder mystery, but before then, the pacing was agonizingly slow for its time.

I am 100% confident the show is right-paced according to Lynch's artistic vision, with the caveat that there may be some filler that was needed to get to a full 18 hours. But that filler would amount to only a handful of scenes.

But let's say for the sake of argument there is a little filler. So what? If you're enjoying 90% of a piece of art, why focus on the 10% you don't like. I mean, if I go on a vacation, there's usually a few moments I like less than the other moments. But I don't let those moments ruin my entire vacation.
Hey mtwentz, enjoying your comments, as always. Quick question for you and everyone, because this always bugs the hell out of me. Why do people sometimes talk about the 18 hours like it was mandated by Showtime, or like Lynch has to fill it? Isn't it most likely what Lynch wanted? He didn't need to include anything he considers filler because he could have every episode be between 45 and 52 minutes rather than between 53 and 58. He has that freedom given that the program is airing on Showtime with no set lengths per Part. So I'm just saying he didn't NEED to put any filler in...he could have taken whatever out and still put out 18 Parts at slightly shorter avg. lengths. I think everything we're seeing here is, as you said, at the pace that fits his artistic vision, and that so many assume that he's padding out the length to fit 18 hours is strange.
I'm not sure if 'filler' is the right word. I think there is a sense that if some of these scenes were cut down, and others cut out completely, it would not detract from the show. The most obvious candidates for these imaginary 'cuts' are the ending Roadhouse bands. Another candidate might be Dr. Amp's third foray into madness.

My own opinion is that I am going to wait and see until 18 hours have aired. But my main point is that even if we have two hours that could easily be cut out, we still would have 16 hours of a damn fine show. Some fans get too focused on those little bits they did not like, IMHO. I just brush them off- it kind of goes with the territory.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Interesting theory. But there was the guy who ran into the Double R asking if anyone had seen Billy
I know people said it was subtexted wrong as Bing but it actually sounds like him saying Bing instead of Billy. Perhaps just a bandmember trolling the DoubleR about their Bing Cherry Pie?
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

I think the 9 hour version might have been better...probably not as much Twin Peaks, though.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

DoppelBocker wrote:
I know people said it was subtexted wrong as Bing but it actually sounds like him saying Bing instead of Billy. Perhaps just a bandmember trolling the DoubleR about their Bing Cherry Pie?
Sabrina Sutherland said on twitter that the subtitles (which said "Bing") were wrong, and he said "Has anyone seen Billy". The fact that she bothered to correct it makes me think even more that it matters.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Did anyone else think that it was going to be Jean-Michel Renault in the hospital bed at first?

Is that the first we've seen inside the Twin Peaks hospital this season? There were many scenes there during the original series, of course.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

My initial thoughts:

- This episode started off really, really strong. The FBI scene, the Sarah Palmer scenes, the creepy Twin Peaks establishing shots, all mixed with familiar, creepy music from the original. I thought to myself, "I freaking LOVE this, this may turn out to be my absolute favorite episode of the series!"
- Some really dark stuff going on with Sarah Palmer. I am dying to know what was going on in her house and where all that noise was coming from. Loved the shots of the circulating fan....that alone tells us bad things continue to happen in the Palmer house. Once again frustrating that Hawk didn't press things and check it out. What is with the TP Sheriff's Dept.? I mean, I don't know how much he could have checked it out due to not having a warrant, etc. But clearly something was amiss with Sarah...whether she was just drunk or something much more complex....but it was worth more than just reassuring her that he is there to help?
- Finally some movement on the Richard Horne / hit and run thing.
- Loved the scene with Frank and Ben. I am trying not to set myself up for disappointment, but wouldn't it seem that we are being set up for a Harry Truman appearance at some point, even at the end? Or just more wishful thinking from me? Too much mention of him and Frank giving him Coop's room key. Really all they had to do to explain Harry's absence was the mention in Part 4 about him being sick....to keep mentioning him again and again without it actually leading somewhere would be a bit cruel, no? (Of course, perhaps that is point....)
- When Ben was talking about Richard, my wife looked at me and said, "now would be the perfect time to mention something about Audrey". Instead, of course, Ben waxes nostalgic about his boyhood bicycle. Does anyone find it a bit odd that Ben hasn't brought up Audrey at all yet, especially in reference to Richard? He went out of his way to talk about Richard not having a dad, but nothing about the mother......I guess you could explain some of Ben's odd behavior in this scene as him being devastated about the reality of what Richard had done....but also just odd, especially asking Frank over and over if Harry will like the key.
- We were rolling our eyes about the evasion of Audrey and then all of sudden, there she is on our screens. Holy crap!
- Speaking of which, what a frustrating scene. Dragged on way too long with absolutely no emotional payoff whatsoever. I may have to go back and re-watch this scene (dreading the thought of this) but it seems there was much more going on there than just a bitter, banal argument between spouses that cant stand each other. I find the idea that perhaps this scene and this life for Audrey only exists in Audrey's mind to be really interesting. Why did Audrey just stand in that one spot the whole time? Why doesn't her husband want her to leave the house (maybe because if she leaves the illusion is over and she is back to reality). Audrey is clearly still in Twin Peaks based on this scene, but the other TP characters aren't connected with her and based on that behavior, it would seem she lives far away. On the other hand, perhaps this scene is reality and if so, then the illusion is that Audrey is in control, but scratch the surface and it appears her husband is manipulating and controlling her in almost every way. Notice how evasive he was with her and she didn't get anything she wanted, though he made it seem like she did. So while excruciating to watch, this scene has a lot going on. Or maybe it was just a brief glimpse into the town sexpot's life 25 years later.......
- I'm getting really tired of Dr. Amp and Nadine watching his radio broadcast over and over. This was just reused, recycled footage from previous episodes. Which means there is some sort of weird time loop going on in TP in which things keep repeating. At any rate, I hope there is some payoff with the golden shovels and Dr. Amp soon, because I'm no longer interested in hearing the rantings and ravings.
- The Roadhouse....again, almost a repeat of a previous episode in which two unknown female characters that we don't know about or care about have a conversation of little consequence. I know, it probably has something to do with the larger context of the town and how bad things have gotten, but for me it was filler. Hopefully it all means something.
- One of the most frustrating things about this show is how there is rarely followup from part to part, but rather there is followup 2-3 weeks down the line, by the time we've sort of moved on from it. Case in point is the puking 'zombie" child in the car outside the RR last week. Nothing about that this week, and maybe nothing about it ever again. You'd think something so surreal would warrant at least a followup line from Bobby to Sheriff Truman about taking a very sick girl to the hospital. Something. Anything! But no....
- Diane is in this up to her eyeballs. I wonder if it's Phillip Jeffries she's working with? I can't imagine it's Bad Coop based on her interrogation of him at the prison a few episodes back. If so, that was some fantastic acting by her.
- Does anyone care about JJL's and Tim Roth's characters at this point, or the Warden's murder? Did we need to see this? Aside from the heartbreaking scene of the little boy finding the body, and the throwaway line about Wendy's, I don't see the point.

Overall this episode started off so well, then kind of did a slow slide into a disappointing mess. Although I'm still way, way in on this series and can't wait until next week!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:editied.
I came here to hear Audrey's reaction. Personally, I don't know what to think about the Audrey scene... I can see parallels to Catherine, which is interesting. But man, the lives of our characters seem increasingly depressing. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Same!
So sorry, at the fest and can't properly respond. And then I posted something that I thought was obvious about the Audrey scene.... But think the intent of the scene is to frustrate us into thinking she is married and involved with all these people she's mentioned. And I believe the scene we saw is not what it seems.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?