Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by HagbardCeline »

madeleineferguson wrote:I wonder if Ike and Charlie were originally conceived in the script as little people? Or were they were cast that way as a reaction to MJA? I think both actors are great, by the way, so nothing against them. It's just a lot of little people for one show!
Clark Middleton isn't a dwarf though, he suffered from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. He's actually the same height as Sherilyn Fenn.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Don't lose your hopes people! About Dale Cooper, as stated by Kyle himself:
Spoiler:
“There are three characters that I play in Twin Peaks. Actually four, but the fourth is only seen for a very short period of time,* so we’ll say three. Each character is very distinct, very specific and quite different from the other. And the way I found each of those was a process. So for let’s say the evil doppelgänger, much of that character came from the physical presentation, and how we created the look of that guy. But also inside —not that he’s not human— but he’s almost inhuman, lacking any remorse whatsoever. That was difficult for me to get to, but you just have to think of yourself as a shark in the water.

The other character of Dougie is almost a blank canvas, he’s almost a newborn in the body of a grown-up person. And that process was more about discovering the world as if seeing it for the first time. So there’s an innocence there, and there’s a sense of timing that is different than what you or I might experience in the world. Things take much longer to explore and experience, and David gave me the freedom to be able to find that.

And finally, of course, you’re left with Dale Cooper who’s now 25 years older and still Dale Cooper, but perhaps a little wiser. He’s had some tragedies in his life that have affected him in a way that’s maybe quiet him a little bit.”

* Obviously he means the original Dougie here -whom I don't think we'll be seeing anymore- and not the 25 years older Dale Cooper he describes at the end.
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

+theres a picture of him wearing suite and FBI badge from S3,
that likely is in Las Vegas
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

TweetPeak wrote:+theres a picture of him wearing suite and FBI badge from S3,
Could yrev well be DoppelCoop though! The perfect disguise to show up in Twin Peaks, where people (except our police crew, but Doppelcoop doesn't know that) still have no idea about the doppelganger shenanigans.
Also, I'm not sure how good Coop will be reinstated quickly, but maybe Phoebe sends him his shoes and pin through an electrical socket. :wink:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

We've already seen Kyle playing the older Dale Cooper of course...
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Soolsma wrote:
Could yrev well be DoppelCoop though! The perfect disguise to show up in Twin Peaks, where people (except our police crew, but Doppelcoop doesn't know that) still have no idea about the doppelganger shenanigans.
Also, I'm not sure how good Coop will be reinstated quickly, but maybe Phoebe sends him his shoes and pin through an electrical socket. :wink:
One thing I really like is that the Doppelganger can not effectively impersonate Cooper. I'd be disappointed if they changed that and made impersonation a plot point.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

About Albert:
When Cole puts his hand on his shoulder saying he's worried about him, Albert's state is very weird. It's as if he's in stone/paused - looking straight through Cole.
Feels almost as if Albert is a product of Cole imagination - and there is an interruption in Cole's mind - making Albert freeze. Gordon's room is definitly strange - Laura's appearance, red drapes, the drawing, the wine, the french woman etc.
Audrey: I beleive several here have allready explained Audrey's state quite well (dead/dream/coma etc). The length of that scene with Audrey not getting to where she wants (out looking for Billy) is exactly like one of my reoccuring dreams: I need to dial a number on my phone, but can never get the digits right.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Deep Thought wrote:Audrey:

The only way the scene can be redeemed is if Audrey is trapped in a Club Silencio type of situation. Many of the elements are there, so much so that this is what I am leaning towards. (Who says "milquetoast"? Lol) Similar vibe to the Mr K. scenes from IE, even down to the phone call. No mention of horses and wells in the call though, so my guess is that Audrey is no where near ready to wake up from her coma, which is why Frank Truman went to grandpa to break the news about Audrey's child.
I'll admit, when we see the camera panning up a hospital bed earlier in the episode I thought THAT was going to be Audrey for a moment.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ragnell wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
One thing I really like is that the Doppelganger can not effectively impersonate Cooper. I'd be disappointed if they changed that and made impersonation a plot point.
True, but most people don't immediately go thinking there must be some dark magic at work when only sensing something is slightly off. Our Blue Rose task force have besides their strong intuition a vast experience with strange occurrences. They are way more likely to pick up something seriously wrong than the average Joe. (not to mention the coke and all, the officers who got physically ill from his vomit (which reminds me is still in the lab!)
I dunno, but if you see how completely oblivious people seem to be to the state Dougie is in, you'd know that impersonation, no matter how worthless that impersonationlooks to us, is already a used plot point. I think it could work again.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

firefly2193 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Predictions:

Charlie is Audrey's Psychiatrist.

Albert doctored the coordinates to bring Mr C. to Twin Peaks

Mr C. almost ran Trick off the road and he will drive past the Welcome To Twin Peaks sign (which I don't think we've seen yet)

Mr C. will change his appearance to closely match Good Coop.
Like the Charlie is Audrey's Psychiatrist theory. Makes a lot of sense, and is actually very cool.

Not sure about the Albert co-ordinates one. Why would he want to lead Mr. C to Twin Peaks? Isn't Twin Peaks more likely to be the actual location of the real co-ordinates on Ruth's arm?
Did anyone think that the man next to the box with Bad Cooper in the photograph was Charlie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Jacob wrote:Personally, I just don't understand the intent, the poesy, the deepness of it. It just felt repetitive, boring, cruel and, honestly... quite stupid. But I'm really curious to read someone opinion about that... Just why ? And I don't mean an explanation about the viewers themselves (be patient, the journey is better than the destination, blablabla). Is there an allegory to all this cruelty ? I'm really wondering.
I really didn't find it cruel. I found it slow and, importantly, deliberate. I also think it's impossible to really judge the episode until we see what happens next. I think it's mostly the calm before the storm. The loading up of the pinball before launching it (or the slow, deliberate drawing back of a catapult).
Jacob wrote:Oh, and to Jonah :
Jonah wrote:When I first saw the vacuum cleaner, I thought we were in for another sweeping scene. Anyone else?
Me too! :wink: I was like "another vacuum cleaner scene, that's just what we're missing right now !" while I was crying.
That scene immediately preceded the "Oh shit, the atomic bomb!" episode. I think it's a call back to that; we're tidying up what's left of this section and getting ready to jump into the next bit. I think the final third will be a proper Return to the Twin Peaks we knew. It seems to me that a lot of the major events happened in episodes six and seven (like Richard knocking down the kid, Hawk finding the diary pages, Ike's rampage, Diane facing off against Mr C), and that the whole bit between the sweeping and the vacuuming has been a long process where things have been happening but too slow for those stories to resolve properly (the slow investigation of the hit and run, the pursuit of clues in Twin Peaks that involve Cooper and the Lodge, the arrest of Ike and the fingerprints that might lead the FBI to Vegas whilst DougieCoop is so close to waking up, and the whole is-Diane-working-with-Mr-C? storyline).

I think the remaining episodes are going to build up a lot of speed.

I hope so, anyway. Maybe the series is just a comment about growing old and slowing down.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Jerry Horne wrote:Predictions:

Charlie is Audrey's Psychiatrist.

Albert doctored the coordinates to bring Mr C. to Twin Peaks

Mr C. almost ran Trick off the road and he will drive past the Welcome To Twin Peaks sign (which I don't think we've seen yet)

Mr C. will change his appearance to closely match Good Coop.
My wish. Harry comes back to verify if it is Good Coop or not.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

gary2381 wrote:Was Albert saying that Cole recruited Desmond, himself, and Cooper or was he saying that Jefferies recurited them?
In FWWM, doesn't Cole say to Coop, something like 'Coop, meet the long lost Agent Jeffries' as if Cooper had never met him before?

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

freeek wrote:Jesus, I'm amazed at some people's incapacity to connect the dots. It's all layed down before your eyes, people.

Twin Peaks : The Return is NOT the continuation of the original Twin Peaks. Lynch's intention is to tell a whole other story. The main theme is the desintegration of the word. The whole world has become a "dark, dark place" (Jane-E Leigh) and even the most charming place from the past, the town of Twin Peaks, is poisoned by this overwhelming darkness ("Something is missing", warned the Log Lady in the first ep. What is missing ? TP's spirit and soul, I guess).

TP has now become a place where ruthless white trashes shoot people with a rifle, then go get a bite at Wendy's like nothing happened.

TP is now a place where the children suffer never ending, agonizing pains : they see their dad getting shot right before their eyes, they are being run over by cars, they get so diseased they act like vomiting zombies, etc.

TP was a town where Ben Horn was able to enjoy the simplest pleasures in life (a bike given by his daddy) when he was younger, and now it's a place where his own grand son commit the most horrifying crimes to sustain his life as a piece of shit dealer.

TP is now a place where girlfriends meeting at the Roadhouse can only talk about their drug habits (Sky Ferrara) or people getting out of jail, like in this ep.

Maybe the Dougie arc is supposed to show how a fragile glimpse of hope is able (or not) to reenter such a bleak, desperate world.
IIRC, wasn't Deer Meadow Sheriffs Office supposed to be a mirror image of Twin Peak in FWWM? Perhaps the same thing is applied here on a much bigger scale?

freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Deep Thought wrote:And Ben liked his bike so much because it was two-tone green, a lime green and a DEEP FOREST GREEN. It's all laid out before your eyes. :roll:
OK, you didn't get it. Good luck with the rest of series, your pain's not about to end soon.