Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

Also, WRT Diane not seeming to be too bright: I'm getting that she knows she's being monitored and is setting up the FBI at the same time they are setting her up. I can't see any other reason why she and her contact would mention Las Vegas (which as far as I could tell, Gordon and Albert know nothing about) unless it was to lure them there for a purpose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
boske
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

Rik Renault wrote:
boske wrote:
dropkick23 wrote:
What story is that, Charlie? (title of next episode)
Actually, it goes a lot deeper, I disagree with people who fnd colors, sounds, Moon phases, etc., random and filler material. Why? Here is another clue as to how much thought and care went into little and tiny details.

Just like I said in the previous post regarding the Turkey Jerkey reminding me of "it struck me as funny Harry" scene, this is even more like it: ""It's a goddamn bad storey, isn't it Hawk" It is a bad storey, as in a floor, a floor above the convenience store. So it has a double meaning. Most people hear story, but storey is what she meant, and it probably struck her as funny too.

Sarah is straight behaving like Cooper just post the moment Bob inhabited him and woke up in room #315 at the end of episode 29. I would not be surprised now that it turns out Bob inhabited her after woodsmen extracted him out of Mr C in part 8.

Pure genius from L&F.
Do the subtitles confirm this? I know they've been wrong before, but that's definitely an interesting thought.
I have no access to subtitles in English here but I highly doubt they would use "storey" there at all. It is probably "story", but there definitely is a double meaning to this conversation.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I understand people's love of analyzing every minute detail, and far be it for me to rain on anyone's parade, but I really wouldn't put much stock into something like the phases of the moon. The original show was notorious in fan circles for showing close-up shots of the moon between scenes which were completely inconsistent episode to episode with the series' one-episode-one-day structure. And whatever the moon looks like in that sniper scene, it's because that's what the moon happened to look like on the night that they had that location and Tim Roth and JJL were available to film there. I'd bet the homestead that DKL didn't schedule a shoot around getting a specific phase of the moon.
You may be right.

Still, Lynch is known to pay attention to the smallest details. And this is far from a tiny detail! It's far from farfetched to believe that the shape of the moon DOES have meaning. It could even be considerd sloppy/lazy if it didn't.

Keep in my mind that the shot is included for no apparant/straightforward reason. Therefore, it is strongly implied that the moon (just like all the other planets) has some kind of astrological relevance. If that's true, the phase of the moon is also relevant. The phase of the moon is basically the ONLY aspect of the shot that Lynch could/should think about.

Still, you may be right.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

If I remember correctly, Maddy's murder took place as the Moon was in the first quarter, so to us it looked half illuminated and half not, that was no accident either. But if not that, there definitely was something significant in season 1 that was preceeded by a shot of such a Moon phase.

By the way, we do not see the Moon and Hutch and Chantal all in the same scene, so it does not mean that they shot the scene at that very night. Not to mention to CGI aspect of it all. I do not think it signifies anything here other than a moon month being almost over. It'd be interesting to go through these 12 parts and sequentially order any Moon scenes to see if any kind of meaning can be deduced.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Billy's veen missing for 2 days, leading back to Ep 7, the night Doppelcoop escaped. The morning after that, Hutch and Chantel get marching orders. Say that night, the first day Billy was missing, was when Hutch and Chantel killed the warden. Then the night after would be Audrey and Charlie arguing, potentially the first night of a new moon.

I bet the Audrey scene is Friday night, the Warden scene is Thursday night, and the Dougie scene is Saturday morning. The Diane scenes serm to cover two nights. Not sure when the Sarah scenes might be.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Rhodes wrote:Still, Lynch is known to pay attention to the smallest details.
Is he though? I can think of countless mistakes and errors (and I wouldn't even count this as an error if it does end up bearing no relation to the timeline of events) in his works with characters whose names or said explicitly on camera being given entirely different surnames in credits, etc. Heck, Frank Silva got the part of BOB after being accidentally caught on camera. I definitely don't think he has a Kubrick-style reputation for perfectionist shots with every detail just-so.
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

It's now safe to say that the Chet Desmond part of Twin Peaks Fire walk with me is not a dream cooper has.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Rik Renault wrote:
Is he though? I can think of countless mistakes and errors (and I wouldn't even count this as an error if it does end up bearing no relation to the timeline of events) in his works with characters whose names or said explicitly on camera being given entirely different surnames in credits, etc. Heck, Frank Silva got the part of BOB after being accidentally caught on camera. I definitely don't think he has a Kubrick-style reputation for perfectionist shots with every detail just-so.
He doesn't pay attention to EVERY detail, just the ones that he finds interesting.

That's why Mr. Reindeer may be right. It is known, however, (from interviews with actors) that Lynch does pay attention to the smallest details.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Then you should have quoted Rik's post not mine.
I quoted the chain of the discussion.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Rhodes wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:
He doesn't pay attention to EVERY detail, just the ones that he finds interesting.

That's why Mr. Reindeer may be right. It is known, however, (from interviews with actors) that Lynch does pay attention to the smallest details.
That's why Lynch can actually produce a product at 71 whereas Kubrick couldn't. I'm not completely sure Eyes Wide Shut wouldn't have suffered another year or two of postproduction madness if Kubrick didn't die.

Lynch sweats the details he wants. He doesn't need 70 takes either. Dumb stuff like microphones showing up in the 1956 car happen, and it's no big deal.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Audrey's scene segue from Dr.Amp's rant and "9th circle " of hell reference shows the pan with her standing in front of the fireplace... acutally looks as though she is on fire~

Also...T.S. Elliot books on the mantle. Apropo in that Elliot was a poet who also had a bad marriage and famous for the quotation:

So this is how it ends,
Not with a bang, but with a wimper.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I understand people's love of analyzing every minute detail, and far be it for me to rain on anyone's parade, but I really wouldn't put much stock into something like the phases of the moon. The original show was notorious in fan circles for showing close-up shots of the moon between scenes which were completely inconsistent episode to episode with the series' one-episode-one-day structure. And whatever the moon looks like in that sniper scene, it's because that's what the moon happened to look like on the night that they had that location and Tim Roth and JJL were available to film there. I'd bet the homestead that DKL didn't schedule a shoot around getting a specific phase of the moon.
For what it's worth (and, I generally agree with you about people over analyzing, I've been one of those people who never bought into the multi-timeline stuff, or Frost's retcons in Secret History being anything more than just plain retcons), background/sky replacement is with today's technology a pretty cheap and painless thing to do, it's simple tracking and masking in After Effects and frankly amateurs can do it. So, if they really wanted a specific moon placement, they really easily could alter it in post (i.e., no one would ever schedule a shoot around a phase of moon, it's nonsensical, use an effect for it).
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

Rudagger wrote:
For what it's worth (and, I generally agree with you about people over analyzing, I've been one of those people who never bought into the multi-timeline stuff, or Frost's retcons in Secret History being anything more than just plain retcons), background/sky replacement is with today's technology a pretty cheap and painless thing to do, it's simple tracking and masking in After Effects and frankly amateurs can do it. So, if they really wanted a specific moon placement, they really easily could alter it in post (i.e., no one would ever schedule a shoot around a phase of moon, it's nonsensical, use an effect for it).
Have to agree. Never understood the talk about different timelines and realities.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Lynch uses shots of Moon and traffic lights occasionally, I find it hard to believe that these are simply placed randomly.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I think you should watch that scene again: they have a shot of Moon separately from the scene Hutch and Chantal are in, those are two separate scenes, it is not like Lynch picked up the Moon crescent in the background. That Moon scene was placed there on purpose.