Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Voided
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Voided »

BigEd wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Well, I'm referring more specifically to the assertion that Bug-Frog was Laura Palmer, which was proposed by dozens and dozens of people on here. Sarah being "impregnated" with Laura in 1956 just doesn't work. I guess the girl could be Sarah, although we've been given absolutely zero evidence that she is. People just really seem to want her to be ...
Fair enough. I was responding to what you posted, not what you were thinking. :lol:

I am also baffled by how some folks came to the conclusion that Laura started out as a frog-bug that hatched 33 years before she was in high school.
Yeah, I thought it obvious that the creature represented something malevolent, especially given the context of the woodsman spreading the evil mantra over the airwaves.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I do not think the "frog-bug" has anything to with Laura. Could the girl there be Sarah, maybe, it does not have to be, but could be. The whole scene was I believe allegorically depicting an unclean spirit entering the young girl, my first association when I saw it was Revelation 16:13.

Who do Woodsmen work for? Probably themselves, maybe they are part of that terrible power that Windom Earler talked about, that could be harnessed from the Black Lodge. We'll see, it is all still very mysterious.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Framed_Angel wrote:I don't know how the turkey jerky figures in with that since its image obvs triggered Sarah's whole reaction. These are just ideas I keep kicking around~
Doesn't she ask if the jerky is smoked? You need wood and fire to smoke something. Do The Woodsmen look dirty? Or do they look vaguely charred or... smoked?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I miss Mr C.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Novalis wrote:This part was packed with details, much of which was buried in dialogue and in scenery. It will be a great pleasure to rewatch this when I'm firing on all cylinders and not half-asleep at 2am. As it stands, this episode blew me away with its unsettling, brooding creep. The Audrey-Charlie argument, in which both characters remain rooted as if in sleep paralysis, was particularly challenging and disquieting. I find it hard to understand how anyone could find that scene boring or trivial. It demands a lot of attention.

Grace Zabriskie's brief scene in the grocery/convenience store, confronted with the turkey jerky (gobble gobble), and sonically accompanied by the Fire Walk With Me string scrapes from Teresa Banks' autopsy connected deep in my Twin Peaks core. This was a massive 'connect' moment as far as I was concerned.

I hear people saying the dialogue was clunky and overwritten. I disagree. I think the dialogue was to the point, drawing attention to its own play, its excessiveness and elaborateness. Incidentally, I often used the word 'milquetoast', and also often remind people that Harry is their brother even when it goes without saying. Because discourse is not purely about imparting information. Language also does things that are completely at odds with the purposes of communication. It does things, it has performative value.

Blue Rose? Hmmm. I have to be honest I had hoped for more than the Frostian origin of the term (I chose the username Novalis, after all, for the author of Heinrich von Ofterdingen, the original dreamer of the blue flower). But there's nothing in what was said about 'abstractions', that ties Blue Rose phenomena to flying saucers and all the TSHOTP misdirection. The way I choose to see it is that UFOlogy (and alternate dimensions for that matter) is just how the paranoid securitarian / military mind chooses to interpret things it can't comprehend (dixit counterpaul). Ultimately, I like the way the conversation was steered wide of Blue Book with this ambiguous word 'abstraction'. It's strange that this matters to me, but it does. The intrusion of dream realities into Twin Peaks feels correct; UFOs doesn't.

Also, I disagree with a lot of posters here about time wasting. No time was wasted in the making of this film. Only if you see time as a kind of currency or commodity, which I feel fairly confident in saying, Lynch doesn't. The temporality of the art of Twin Peaks is somehow post-capitalist; it can be expended indefinitely without diminishing its store. Fuck you, finitude; fuck you, death, deadlines and the stinking boss. This thing will take as long as it takes. If we happen to fall asleep or pass out or die mid journey, so much the better. I think the Audrey-Charlie scene is very much to the point here.

I suspect I'll find few who agree with me here, but this part felt very much like classic Twin Peaks to me. We're definitely homing in on a Return vibe. We've turned a corner in the slow winding approach, and the clues are all there in the writing and the sets.

As for all the comments on Lynch supposedly 'trolling' or messing with expectations. Hmmm. I see it differently. I see some sort of pedagogical aim in his story-telling. He's not out to thwart or play with us, there's a sort of didactic element to what he's doing, the way he is offering us things to think about. If that's trolling then I guess I've misunderstood the term. From my point of view he's showing things, letting them be seen, like all artists who work with visual elements do. The sounds though: the sounds really tell you everything. Listen to the sounds.

I think I'd rate this as a part with huge rewatch value -- nothing is what it seems.
Thanks for this intelligent post!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Fireboob

Post by Fireboob »

boske wrote:I do not think the "frog-bug" has anything to with Laura. Could the girl there be Sarah, maybe, it does not have to be, but could be. The whole scene was I believe allegorically depicting an unclean spirit entering the young girl, my first association when I saw it was Revelation 16:13.

Who do Woodsmen work for? Probably themselves, maybe they are part of that terrible power that Windom Earler talked about, that could be harnessed from the Black Lodge. We'll see, it is all still very mysterious.
BigEd wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Well, I'm referring more specifically to the assertion that Bug-Frog was Laura Palmer, which was proposed by dozens and dozens of people on here. Sarah being "impregnated" with Laura in 1956 just doesn't work. I guess the girl could be Sarah, although we've been given absolutely zero evidence that she is. People just really seem to want her to be ...
Fair enough. I was responding to what you posted, not what you were thinking. :lol:

I am also baffled by how some folks came to the conclusion that Laura started out as a frog-bug that hatched 33 years before she was in high school.

The bug crawled into sarah palmer mouth.

The bug is not laura or bob. Its the jumping man from fwwm above convieniece store. The guy with the mask with long nose. Look at the nose of the bug !!! Also chalfonts grandson has a small mask with a long nose too.

Sarah has always been possessed
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Oh, I don't buy that. Both of Laura's parents possessed? I think that idea reduces the special uniqueness of the situation in the Palmer household to a point where possession is commonplace and banal.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Fireboob wrote:The bug crawled into sarah palmer mouth.

The bug is not laura or bob. Its the jumping man from fwwm above convieniece store. The guy with the mask with long nose. Look at the nose of the bug !!! Also chalfonts grandson has a small mask with a long nose too.

I am not yet 100% certain it is Sarah, but it appears increasingly likely to me. I agree on the bug representing the Jumping Man, as a matter of fact, they play the very music sequence from FWWM of the Jumping Man when Sarah is at the cash register. As they said, "listen to the sounds".

Imagine being in Laura's shoes if Sarah was indeed possessed, growing up with such Leland and Sarah.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

sewhite2000 wrote:Oh, I don't buy that. Both of Laura's parents possessed? I think that idea reduces the special uniqueness of the situation in the Palmer household to a point where possession is commonplace and banal.
Leland was supposedly possessed at an early age, before he had met Sarah, so she could not have contributed to his possession if she was indeed possessed.

We'll hopefully learn more in the next couple of weeks.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

sneakydave wrote:I miss Mr C.
me too. and i love his white trash minions
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

vawriter wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Image

Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.

Last but not least, Charlie seems to be involved with Mr.C.
This has blown my mind. Can't wait to see how this all shakes out.
Anyone else see Mitch Pileggi from XFiles in that bald dude?

And I'm putting all my chips in on Carl Rodd and Sarah Palmer hooking up.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

rocketsan22 wrote: And I'm putting all my chips in on Carl Rodd and Sarah Palmer hooking up.
They could go buffalo-hunting together. :shock:
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

So if Audrey is still in a coma all these years later, was the One-Armed Man responsible for "sending" her the dream about Billy with the bloody mouth to help rouse her from the coma, like he "sent" the dream to Jim Belushi about Dougie holding the cherry pie? Are the lodge spirits going to help resurrect Audrey from her state?
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

boske wrote:
Fireboob wrote:The bug crawled into sarah palmer mouth.

I am not yet 100% certain it is Sarah, but it appears increasingly likely to me. I agree on the bug representing the Jumping Man, as a matter of fact, they play the very music sequence from FWWM of the Jumping Man when Sarah is at the cash register. As they said, "listen to the sounds".

Imagine being in Laura's shoes if Sarah was indeed possessed, growing up with such Leland and Sarah.
That music was used quite early on in FWWM, when Chet and Sam are examining Teresa Banks's corpse...so it isn't strictly jumping man music, although it was used for that too, later in the film.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Does anyone think that we might have had a Winkies Scene in TP TR yet?

I've read a few interpretations of the scene...But just the concept, is it possible something like this whole scene at the end of part 12 in the Roadhouse is a Winkies type of scene?