Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by mujubuju »

Yeah this was..... not great. The first half felt like it was building momentum, and then the rest was a slog. So many filler moments that tested my patience.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Boy, did Lynch subvert people's expectations with Audrey! :lol:
Yes he did. I am not sure what to make of that scene. Why do you think Audrey had to marry Charlie?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Oh, and I don't think Tammy is long for this world, or at least this dimension. The red drapes behind her were some supernatural foreshadowing.

Loved the ominous glimpses of within the Palmer house we got to steal.
Last edited by ThumbsUp on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

djsunyc wrote:the roadhouse scene was 100% useless.
Honestly I feel like it thematically tied into the episode a bit. I haven't really run through it again to comb for details though. But I also believe that maybe some of these "useless" scenes that have been sprinkled through will have a later payoff. Are they future or are they past?
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i have a fear that at least 25% of the scenes we've been given this series are complete throwaway scenes that will have no impact on anything. this roadhouse scene and the one with the two drugged out girls are completely pointless and useless.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I thought the cashier girl at the cash and carry was sort of reminiscent of LP. I thought Sarah was going to pick up on that.

I think I agree with the general sentiment that this part started off strong, but had lots of week elements.

I didn't like Audrey in her scene, but I love her contract-based husband, and I kind of liked the pacing of it. "You're not going to tell me what she said, are you?" End scene. Lol.

The scene with Cole's lady friend was a less effective use of Lynchian pacing, IMHO. And the content of it was, uhhh, uncomfortable again.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

trismegistus wrote:
Honestly I feel like it thematically tied into the episode a bit. I haven't really run through it again to comb for details though. But I also believe that maybe some of these "useless" scenes that have been sprinkled through will have a later payoff. Are they future or are they past?
For me, a lot of these Roadhouse scenes with randos emphasise the fact Twin Peaks is still a small town with problems like people sleeping around with everyone else, people are on house arrest, people are on drugs, people almost get killed in accidents or otherwise. The town seems outwardly miserable nowadays.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

trismegistus wrote:
The guy that ran Trick off the road probably = bad Coop? A way of signifying he's made it to TP?
C-Lee

Post by C-Lee »

IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Oh boy, the Audrey scene was terrible; the Roadhouse ending was useless; Cole and that woman was excruciating. Outside of the Sarah Palmer scenes, this was a disaster.
Agreed. I know The Return has been a slow burn, but we're running out of time. So much time was wasted in this episode, especially the 2nd half. Reused Doc/Nadine footage? Pointless Roadhouse scene? Did we need to see them kill the Warden? Really hard to not feel disappointed with this part, especially since the Twin Peaks team was trying to hype it up big time.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

The only thing I could think of during the Audrey scene was all the "profoundly disappointeds" having conniptions. :D
Last edited by Hockey Mask on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

How does Audrey go from John Wheeler to Charlie? She still looks good despite the bank explosion. Actually, the guy that plays Charlie is married to a pretty attractive normal sized woman in real life...so who knows how these things can happen.

Without me having to Google, who is Scott Coffey?

Shouldn't Jerry be dead by now?
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

ThumbsUp wrote:Oh, and I don't think Tammy is long for this world, or at least this dimension. The red drapes behind her were some supernatural foreshadowing.

Loved the ominous glimpses of within the Palmer house we got to steal.
Tammy has to live long enough to write the Secret History, at least.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

C-Lee wrote:
IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Oh boy, the Audrey scene was terrible; the Roadhouse ending was useless; Cole and that woman was excruciating. Outside of the Sarah Palmer scenes, this was a disaster.
Agreed. I know The Return has been a slow burn, but we're running out of time. So much time was wasted in this episode, especially the 2nd half. Reused Doc/Nadine footage? Pointless Roadhouse scene? Did we need to see them kill the Warden? Really hard to not feel disappointed with this part, especially since the Twin Peaks team was trying to hype it up big time.
I guess the hype was around Sarah and Audrey appearing?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

The Sarah Palmer scenes were riveting, I can't wait to watch them again.

All these new names were meant to make us feel uneasy, disoriented. I think it was Lynch's way of telling us that we actually have no idea where this story is going.

Cannot wait to learn the realities of Audrey's ridiculous situation.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

So, what was the deal in the previous episode of Albert referring to the coordinates appearing to point "to a small town south of" (and then getting cut off), now that we've confirmed via Diane that they pointed directly to Twin Peaks? I would think Albert would have a holy sh*t moment there, not just gloss over it. And it doesn't make sense to say he didn't relay that info due to Diane being there, since he happily let her crib the coordinates off of the pic.

If the point was to have a bit of a cliffhanger, it was a pretty nonsensical way to go about it. The fact that Twin Peaks wormed its way into the whole Buckhorn investigation wouldn't have caused a EUREKA from these guys?!?