Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by AgentEcho »

Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations. All this build up to Audrey, with the earlier scenes with Frank and Ben almost tantalizingly dancing around naming Richard's mother, not to mention all the buildup for leaving her off the screen, then she abruptly appears in a surely intentionally jarring smash cut mid pan. We learn she's in a loveless marriage to a dwarf and is having an affair with a missing man named Billy, and there's a long extended conversation where a bunch of names were dropped, none of which were Richard, while Audrey impatiently waits for some information she never receives. If you place Audrey in the role of the audience impatient with all of this it is truly comedy gold.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

cgs027 wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:More great stuff.

I think we can take Audrey off the table, perhaps, as RIchard's mother. She doesn't seem to be involved with Richard at all, but some bloke named Billy.
I don't know about that - I assumed that Charlie was hearing about Richard being wanted by the police and that's what he was reluctant to tell Audrey.
That was my takeaway, too. Especially if we assume the Billy character being referred to is one and the same as the one who was likely killed (offscreen) by Richard Horne. Of course, that's a pretty crazy stretch if Audrey was having an affair with that guy, but... maybe she's just the "cool mom" of Twin Peaks and hangs out with younger dudes and buys them booze and drugs. Ha!
That was my takeaway too. Remember the ominous shot of the open door, after Andy was asking the guy about the stolen truck? Pretty sure Richard attacked him. They used a similar door shot recently on Miriam's trailer (I think).
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

cgs027 wrote:So, what was the deal in the previous episode of Albert referring to the coordinates appearing to point "to a small town south of" (and then getting cut off), now that we've confirmed via Diane that they pointed directly to Twin Peaks? I would think Albert would have a holy sh*t moment there, not just gloss over it. And it doesn't make sense to say he didn't relay that info due to Diane being there, since he happily let her crib the coordinates off of the pic
It almost feels like that would have happened before they went to twin peaks 25+ yrs ago.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Great start - fizzled out, although there was a kind of disorienting theme to it. Lots of names. Loved the lush, brownish tone in many of the scenes.

PS. Beware of people who claim to be in the know. Seems like there was a bit of hoaxing before tonight's show.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

AgentEcho wrote:Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations. All this build up to Audrey, with the earlier scenes with Frank and Ben almost tantalizingly dancing around naming Richard's mother, not to mention all the buildup for leaving her off the screen, then she abruptly appears in a surely intentionally jarring smash cut mid pan. We learn she's in a loveless marriage to a dwarf and is having an affair with a missing man named Billy, and there's a long extended conversation where a bunch of names were dropped, none of which were Richard, while Audrey impatiently waits for some information she never receives. If you place Audrey in the role of the audience impatient with all of this it is truly comedy gold.
+1
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

this will be the last episode i watch. because my showtime subscription ran out. audrey is now married to the dwarf from kill bill vol 2. dougie is still dougie. and gordon cole is now fond of ladies of the night. going to bed. and stopped watching this show. bye everyone
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

AgentEcho wrote:Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations. All this build up to Audrey, with the earlier scenes with Frank and Ben almost tantalizingly dancing around naming Richard's mother, not to mention all the buildup for leaving her off the screen, then she abruptly appears in a surely intentionally jarring smash cut mid pan. We learn she's in a loveless marriage to a dwarf and is having an affair with a missing man named Billy, and there's a long extended conversation where a bunch of names were dropped, none of which were Richard, while Audrey impatiently waits for some information she never receives. If you place Audrey in the role of the audience impatient with all of this it is truly comedy gold.
It was the theme of the entire episode. Did anyone else keep waiting for Ben to hand the key to Frank??
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

so was there someone in the palmer house? did the fan signify another "being" interacting with sarah?

the ben + frank scene was some great stuff. i can't but help wishing this was harry and not frank tho.

the women of twin peaks...nothing good has really happened to any of them. laura, audrey, shelly. nothing good. and who knows about donna.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

ThumbsUp wrote:
cgs027 wrote:So, what was the deal in the previous episode of Albert referring to the coordinates appearing to point "to a small town south of" (and then getting cut off), now that we've confirmed via Diane that they pointed directly to Twin Peaks? I would think Albert would have a holy sh*t moment there, not just gloss over it. And it doesn't make sense to say he didn't relay that info due to Diane being there, since he happily let her crib the coordinates off of the pic.

If the point was to have a bit of a cliffhanger, it was a pretty nonsensical way to go about it. The fact that Twin Peaks wormed its way into the whole Buckhorn investigation wouldn't have caused a EUREKA from these guys?!?
Yeah, this was my other issue. We should've seen the FBI team realise they were being directed to Twin Peaks earlier, and the reaction should've been a "holy hell" one.
Is it possible that exchange was being staged because they knew Diane was likely to overhear part of it? Maybe they wanted to see if she looks it up herself (as she later did) and attempts to steer them either towards or away from it. Though, if they're putting on an act, you'd think they'd expect her to remember the significance of TP as well, so pretending as if they don't might actually be more likely to make her suspicious.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I was waiting for Ben to mention Richard's mother, but all he said was he didn't have a father...ugh. Did he or Sylvia report Richard's attack on her to the sheriff? Frank didn't seem to be aware of any of that.

I think all of us figured by now that we'd see Big Ed before we saw Audrey. Why was it so important for Lynch to find Everett McGill on Twitter a few years ago if he was barely going to appear?
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

So is Richard then Donna Hayward's son and Ben raised him as a Horne or what?
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

rugerblackhawk357 wrote:this will be the last episode i watch. because my showtime subscription ran out. audrey is now married to the dwarf from kill bill vol 2. dougie is still dougie. and gordon cole is now fond of ladies of the night. going to bed. and stopped watching this show. bye everyone
Alright everyone, here's his [reply] that he wants, so no one else needs to feed the troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

The reused Jacoby scenes getting progressively shortly suggests that time is spiraling downwards.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Skip Bittman wrote:So is Richard then Donna Hayward's son and Ben raised him as a Horne or what?
They have not said who is Richard's mother, at all.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Esselgee wrote:Also, do we really need to see the warden getting killed? Is it really important for the story going forward?
It establishes they are a threat and mean business, like the triple homicide with Ike earlier this season.