Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by chromereflectsimage »

firefly2193 wrote:Inspired by the discovery of the T. S. Elliot book in the Audrey scene and its apparent ruminations on time and space, what is going on with time in this show?

So far the further the show has progressed, the more it has shown us that it is a purely linear story free from alternate timelines or differences in time between sections. As far as I can see, every main story line has crossed paths with the others by this point, ruling out the idea that one is set in the future or past. If anyone thinks this is wrong I'd love to hear.

So why then is there such a focus on time in the script? The repeated use of the dialogue "Is it past...or is it future?" would seem baffling if the whole show took place in the present with a pure linear timeline. Furthermore, has anyone got any closer to understanding what occurred in the Purple Room sequence in Part 3? This fascinates me. Would love to hear others thoughts.
Time past and time future
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.

Time past and time future
Allow but a little consciousness.
To be conscious is not to be in time
But only in time can the moment in the rose-garden,
The moment in the arbour where the rain beat,
The moment in the draughty church at smokefall
Be remembered; involved with past and future.
Only through time time is conquered.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

eyeboogers wrote:Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.

Last but not least, Charlie seems to be involved with Mr.C.
Charlie is not the man in the photograph, that's a different actor.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Ragnell »

Rik Renault wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:Furthermore, has anyone got any closer to understanding what occurred in the Purple Room sequence in Part 3? This fascinates me. Would love to hear others thoughts.
I just rewatched this episode again today and noticed some further things. I don't think this takes place in a lodge or within the Red Room. I think it is like a tear in time, not in another dimension but in no dimension at all. It definitely seems to have some connection to electricity too, so maybe it's *inside* electricity like some believe Jeffries is.

I also think noticed there are distinct differences between Naido and American Girl and what they seem to represent. I get a very positive impression from Naido, she seems very welcoming and protective to Coop. She warns him about the 15 machine and leads him. It appears to me that she sacrifices herself on the roof when she pulls the lever, despite Coops protestations for her not to.

When he returns, almost a doppelganger of Naido is in her place wearing a red cardigan, not a purple dress. She also talks backwards like the Red Room inhabitants, and talks about 'my mother', a potential connection to Mother from episode 8. Unlike Naido who pulls and leads Cooper, American Girl pushes Cooper away 'you better hurry!'

When Coop is sucked into the 3 machine he becomes shrouded in a black smoke that we later see in Dougie when his head disappears in the Red Room and again in episode 8.

Now what any of that means, I still have no idea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
There was a theory in the Part 8 thread that Naido and the American Girl represented Hiroshima. That Naido represented the Japanese civilian victims, and her condition represented the injuries that resulted from the bomb and her weird time and communication problem represented the confusion from being in that attack. And that the American Girl represented the perpetrators of that attack, sitting in her own purgatory for that, which is why she refers to the coming danger as her "mother", because she was born of that act.

EDIT: Here's a couple of the posters who put forward that theory.
Last edited by Ragnell on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
She has made a deal with the devil in marrying Charlie. Charlie has money and has probably been bank rolling that New York observatory location on Audrey's behalf. She is now caught in a loveless contract driven marriage with someone that might be dangerous.

Really, who?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

eyeboogers wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:

Really, who?
I don't know who he is, I think he was identified in another thread, but Clark Middleton's (Charlie) head has a different shape than the man in the photo and a different height.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:

Really, who?
Jonny Coyne
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Are you sure? I don't think he looks much like Jonny Coyne, either tbh.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Interesting, For an hour of television that enraged so many of us on first watch, Part 12 is sure generating a lot of discussion/comments.

After my second and third watch, I like the Audrey scene much better. Still not sold on the Gordon/French girl scene and the ending Roadhouse scene, though. But the Sarah Palmer scenes more than make up for that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Are you sure? I don't think he looks much like Jonny Coyne, either tbh.
Nope, not sure. That's who I remember people guessing it was though.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote: Charlie is not the man in the photograph, that's a different actor.
Really, who?
Jonny Coyne

Looks a LOT more like Clark Middleton to me. Neither man is credited in episode 10. How do you know that it is Coyne?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Are you sure? I don't think he looks much like Jonny Coyne, either tbh.
Ah, ok. Here's a picture of Coyne (guy on the right): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0185431/medi ... 3256594688
I think Coyne is more stocky and shorter. The man in the photograph seems taller.

I don't know why people think it's Coyne, but if they think it's him because both men are bald, there is also another bald guy on the cast list who hasn't appeared yet: Derek Mears. Though I can't see much of a resemblance, either, he is at least very tall (1.96 m).
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Ah, ok. Here's a picture of Coyne (guy on the right): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0185431/medi ... 3256594688
I think Coyne is more stocky and shorter. The man in the photograph seems taller.

I don't know why people think it's Coyne, but if they think it's him because both men are bald, there is also another bald guy on the cast list who hasn't appeared yet: Derek Mears. Though I can't see much of a resemblance, either, he is at least very tall (1.96 m).
The man is not tall, notice that he seems to be hovering in mid-air.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:Image

Audrey is not acting out of character. She is doing what she has always been doing, trying to help Cooper.
This is a brilliant theory. I'd love it to be true.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

wAtChLaR wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:having been to 3 of the festivals ....that was something amazing...i'll never forget
Yeah, I was only 15 at the time but it was quite an experience. Which years did you attend to?
2000-2002, seeing Julee Cruise live in 2002 was amazing

Cool. If you hadn't skipped 2001 we could've met.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

eyeboogers wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:

The man is not tall, notice that he seems to be hovering in mid-air.
He's hovering but he's not small. Clark Middleton is only 1.63m and the chin doesn't match.

Maybe the man on the photograph is someone who wasn't on the cast list.