Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by djsunyc »

Ene wrote:I personally thought the French woman was hilarious, her acting was just perfectly over the top. Kind of surprised though that the womanizer theme for Cole is so central.
why is a woman like that in south dakota? lol
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

oh... apropos of nothing...
this was the first episode of the current series where i went to sleep after watching it, and dreamt that i was INSIDE THE PROGRAMME with those people we just saw...

hardly ever do that with TV....
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

So, when do we think the 'real' Cooper will turnip?

(C'mon! I'm surprised no-one got their first.)
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

mtwentz wrote:People's opinions on the Audrey scene may change over time. Remember, we were all victims of our expectations. Our mind was begging for Audrey to tell us something relevant to the current/already known plotlines. So I believe most of us (myself included) were probably unable to just let the scene unfold for what it was.
This is a really good point. I actually think there's no way we can just look at the scene for what it is now, though. The scene deliberately left out so much stuff that we don't nearly have enough to go on to really judge what Audrey and Charlie are really about. I didn't even like the scene all that much (and moreover, not even the biggest fan of Audrey in the first place -- or at least, really didn't feel like her character even HAD to be part of the new series).

But, there's stuff here that has to be revealed, and this will probably all look different even one or two episodes down the line (coming up: What's that story, Charlie?).

Think of peoples' reaction to the early scenes with Frank Truman's wife -- people couldn't stand it, accused of overacting, etc. Then we we find out some MAJOR background context which completely changes how we're supposed to things. I think something like this is coming up for the Audrey stuff.

All that said, I'm still WAY more interested in the Cooper, FBI, Buckhorn, Briggs issues than any of the Richard Horne storylines so far.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Esselgee wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:It's kind of funny that after the piles and piles of posts and discussion around whether Miriam was alive, and then Miriam's letter, and finally whether/how Richard would actually get caught -- all this wiped out with one scene by Frank Truman saying they basically know everything. Without even a hint as to how they put it all together!
Maybe Ben will accidentally end up paying the medical bills for Miriam Hodge instead of Miriam Sullivan.

Haha, amazing. That would be beyond hilarious. Either vindication for TP discussion forum fans, or a major dig at their hyper-scrutiny.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

douglasb wrote:So, when do we think the 'real' Cooper will turnip?

(C'mon! I'm surprised no-one got their first.)
i was leaning towards the final two episodes...but now i'm leaning towards the final 10 mins of the season.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

Part 12 really pulled me in and had me seductively engaged from the lovely opening sequence with Tammy's promotion all the way through till the end. however my least favourite - and one of my only qualms with the return so far is Jacoby's rant sequences. up until this footage again I was totally absorbed in the dream and each time this stuff pulls me back to reality - it's quite jarring.

the highlight for me was Sarah's scenes. pure cinematic ecstacy.

I felt some strong Werner Herzog vibes throughout this part, and some Kubrick again - the slowness of Barry Lyndon for example, which Is my favourite movie.

oh and I must be the only person on these forums who digs the roadhouse scenes with music in the background and dialogue between new characters. their conversations will, I think, make sense at the end, either in an important or not-so-important way, so hardcores can rewatch and pick apart. I always thought the "penguin" from part 9 could be a reference to Red - look at his outfit in part 6.. and this scene in part 12 seems to possibly tie in to Richard fleeing town and nearly killing the guy Trick with the shaky hand. The song hit the spot too because it's a Johnny Jewl cover I believe by The Chromatics (lead singer is a 10/10 babe).

Okay that's enough thoughts for now. In a pretty good mood after tonight's episode I must say. Give it a few days and I'll be dying waiting for part 13 I know it. Gnight,
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

re pacing and 'slowness':

in the four episodes since #8, we've come quite along way, if you stop and think about it...

looking forwards to re-watching this as one big thing ( without the roadhouse outros).
Last edited by referendum on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

thedarktrees wrote:
Esselgee wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:It's kind of funny that after the piles and piles of posts and discussion around whether Miriam was alive, and then Miriam's letter, and finally whether/how Richard would actually get caught -- all this wiped out with one scene by Frank Truman saying they basically know everything. Without even a hint as to how they put it all together!
Maybe Ben will accidentally end up paying the medical bills for Miriam Hodge instead of Miriam Sullivan.

Haha, amazing. That would be beyond hilarious. Either vindication for TP discussion forum fans, or a major dig at their hyper-scrutiny.
They are both at the hospital too?!
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Another Year wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
where was that?
Part 12.
Hi,

wasn't it on Audrey's finger?
If yes, some may assume that it was a dream sequence (the whole scene). Please note the room, doesn't look like "unreal place". Moreover, the final scene in the roadhouse was to show us that Audrey couldn't get there in real world. Do you know what I mean.
Sorry for my not perferct English :)
Nope, not Audrey.

I am surprised not to see it mentioned yet.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Rudagger wrote:Really don't have much else to say. Hope that certain Twitter accounts stop hyping stuff up when they don't actually have any insider information and are just doing it based off of one actor's twitter account (who, like all of them but Machlachlan, wouldn't have any idea what's going to happen in any given episode), but, it certainly inflated expectations and probably hurt the episode (not that the episode doesn't deserve the rough reception) for at least a few people. "DO NOT MISS television," haha. If a producer tweets something evocative, like with Episode 8, sure, take their word for it because they are in the handful of people who will actually know what's in the episodes beforehand. But, this hearsay was ridiculous, and even got the Twin Peaks subreddit particularly hyped up just to get people pissed off in the end.
This.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Audrey:

The only way the scene can be redeemed is if Audrey is trapped in a Club Silencio type of situation. Many of the elements are there, so much so that this is what I am leaning towards. (Who says "milquetoast"? Lol) Similar vibe to the Mr K. scenes from IE, even down to the phone call. No mention of horses and wells in the call though, so my guess is that Audrey is no where near ready to wake up from her coma, which is why Frank Truman went to grandpa to break the news about Audrey's child.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

What did Sarah say at the end to Hawk before closing the door? I couldn't quite make it out, but she almost sounded like a lodge person when she said it.

Audrey mentioned that Chuck said Tina was the last person to see Billy. Her husband is named Charlie. Aren't both 'Chuck' and Charlie nicknames for people named Charles? Granted, it could be Lynch playing with us again like Mike and Bob/Mike and Bobby in the original series.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Deep Thought wrote:Audrey:

The only way the scene can be redeemed is if Audrey is trapped in a Club Silencio type of situation. Many of the elements are there, so much so that this is what I am leaning towards. (Who says "milquetoast"? Lol) Similar vibe to the Mr K. scenes from IE, even down to the phone call. No mention of horses and wells in the call though, so my guess is that Audrey is no where near ready to wake up from her coma, which is why Frank Truman went to grandpa to break the news about Audrey's child.
Someone on another board had a theory that it's actually Audrey in a mental facility and the 'husband' she is talking to is actually her psychiatrist.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

oxyboldine wrote:Hello everyone. Part 12 gave the impression that the script didn't move forward a lot - well it even went backward with the Dr Amp's show (one new timeline mystery). Nevertheless, something did progressed: the time we spent in Twin Peaks. For Part 12, it is up to 34 minutes. Everything is slowly leading to TP, as the scene with Diane searching the coordinates shows. The different mysteries are more and more happening in Twin Peaks.

With Vicksvapor77 we checked the timing of the scenes in TP since Part 1, here it is:
Part 1 : 9 min. 30
Part 2 : 8 min.
Part 3 : 7 min.
Part 4 : 15 min.
Part 5 : 20 min.
Part 6 : 22 min.
Part 7 : 24 min.
Part 8 : 4 min. 40
Part 9 : 22 min.
Part 10 : 23 min. 40
Part 11 : 20 min. 30
Part 12 : 34 min.

* we don't take into account the credits, after "Staring Kyle McLachlan"
** I hope my English is OK, as usual (French poster)
Thanks, nice work.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."