Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Esselgee »

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle MacLachlan ends up playing Phillip Jeffries. Maybe when Jeffries walked by the video remnant of Cooper, it actually entered Jeffries causing him to become another version of Cooper somewhere down the line. Maybe the Jeffries of the past is actually the Cooper of the future.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

writersblock wrote:David Lynch said this of watching the new season: If people at home had as big a screen as possible, and great sound, and if they did turn the lights down for the things they see, and make it a safe place, a good place to see it, that would be really beautiful.’
IMO, this is more about him wanting viewers to immerse themselves fully in the world of his film without distractions (something he has been vocal about for many years), rather than a scrutinizing for clues.
Novalis wrote:Also, as writersblock says, since Lynch thought to include an insert with my copy of MD asking me to pay attention to such seemingly innocuous details as table lamps, the argument over ignoring details and trying to followg authorial intentionality really makes little sense at all.
He says in the Rodley book that the French distributor pressured him into writing those clues, and then they ended up in the DVD as well. I forget the exact words he used -- I wish I had the book in front of me -- but the sense I got is that he found the idea of giving such clues reductive. I'll come back and add the exact quote when I'm home.

Also keep in mind that this is the man who for years refused to have chapter breaks on his films because he wanted them to be experienced straight through. I'm not saying there aren't subtleties and hidden things here and there (personally, I believe the reflection glitch is totally intentional and also completely inconsequential to the narrative), but I'm pretty sure DKL isn't playing to freeze frame culture.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:re-watching last night

it seems like Charlie says "Enter Story 2"

sorry haven't read the posts lately - apologize if stated earlier.

but since she goes on about Little Girl Down the Lane, I believe that it's clearly a NEW storyline Charlie is going to take her down.

And it seems Audrey doesn't want to go there.

"end your story too" - doesn't make sense cause who else's story is he ending?
I'm convinced he says Story 2 although admittedly I have not rewatched it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:He says in the Rodley book that the French distributor pressured him into writing those clues, and then they ended up in the DVD as well. I forget the exact words he used -- I wish I had the book in front of me -- but the sense I got is that he found the idea of giving such clues reductive. I'll come back and add the exact quote when I'm home.
I can see how they might appear too directive. Thanks for this information.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Also keep in mind that this is the man who for years refused to have chapter breaks on his films because he wanted them to be experienced straight through. I'm not saying there aren't subtleties and hidden things here and there (personally, I believe the reflection glitch is totally intentional and also completely inconsequential to the narrative), but I'm pretty sure DKL isn't playing to freeze frame culture.
Fully agree. However, for me the discontinuity in reflection was noticed not by replicating what someone had posted on some scrutinizing subreddit, but in situ, while watching early Monday morning. Naturally I assumed it was a connection jump, lost packet or something like that (watching in the UK on a web-based streaming service called NowTV), so I didn't at the time review it. As you say, it may be entirely inconsequential. It's not in my nature to analyse film frame-by-frame, as I'm by far more interested in movement. I also tend to ignore all the plane-windows-code and filled-in-letters in the post-episode production title posts, not because I think the people who post them are over-analysing, but because I see them enjoying themselves. But to be honest I don't think this glitch is of that nature, since I caught it in the act, and those things I never do (I remember being useless at watching Fringe when people were talking about its codes). So I think its unfair to say I'm involved in all that just because I post one thing about this reflection.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
misterroundheels

Post by misterroundheels »

Did anyone notice anything odd about Audrey's reflection? I thought something was off on my first viewing, before knowing about Ed's reflection. It immediately caught my eye. I thought maybe they used a stand-in for her reverse-shot, until I saw the thing about Ed's reflection. Now it seems like it could be deliberate. Either that, or it's a stand-in, or the glass is just weird and bumpy.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

yaxomoxay wrote: I am not an expert but wouldn't the guy in charge of adding the reflection look at the normal footage first, then add the effect, then re watch the results at least once? It feels like a big editing mistake if it's a mistake
I didn't notice it at all so I don't know how big a mistake it is. We've had other editing glitches in the show people thought meant something but they didn't. (Candy's first appearance combined footage shot at different times. People thought she was a lodge creature who was invisible, but it was just an editing glitch since the footage they were working with was imperfect).

Also, who's to say Lynch didn't notice the mistake, liked how it looked, so left it in there? There doesn't have to be a *story* reason for it.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Was it already mentioned that Jack Rabbit's is the place of John Travolta and Uma Thurman's date in Pulp Fiction?
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

there are 3 possibilities re this reflected image of big ed:
1) that it was deliberately put there in editing as a deliberate ' time glitch' like the RR diner credits glitch.
2) It is an accidental by product of digital editing that Lynch liked and left in.
3) it is an accident that no-one noticed - the occasional errors in this programme are a by-product of it not being made by robots.

Either way, it fits in with all the doubling and the repetitions and the people seen in mirrors, and the overall visual language and textures of TP:TR.
Personally I am not really bothered why it is there: what I like is that TP is the sort of programme where you don't know whether a tech glitch is a mistake or not.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Only thing I'll say about the glitch - whether or not it was intentional, I don't think it's significant. I fail to see him 'react' to it.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Snailhead wrote:Only thing I'll say about the glitch - whether or not it was intentional, I don't think it's significant. I fail to see him 'react' to it.
I don't necessarily see him react, either. But I don't think that makes it less significant. We'll see if anything comes of it!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Manwith wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote: I am not an expert but wouldn't the guy in charge of adding the reflection look at the normal footage first, then add the effect, then re watch the results at least once? It feels like a big editing mistake if it's a mistake
I didn't notice it at all so I don't know how big a mistake it is. We've had other editing glitches in the show people thought meant something but they didn't. (Candy's first appearance combined footage shot at different times. People thought she was a lodge creature who was invisible, but it was just an editing glitch since the footage they were working with was imperfect).

Also, who's to say Lynch didn't notice the mistake, liked how it looked, so left it in there? There doesn't have to be a *story* reason for it.
I am not saying that it's important per se. That is, I don't believe that these things are important to understand the plot better.
I think that it's at most a "present" to those who pay attention to each and every image and like to analyze stuff. They're are, in other words, subtle clues with little overall meaning but that at the same time could help have a slightly better view of the events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

The glitch is deliberate and Big Ed definitely notices it.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.
What does Ray say about the Dutchman's again?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

ScarFace32 wrote:
asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.
What does Ray say about the Dutchman's again?

he says 'but it's not a real place'