Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by pixletwin »

BigEd wrote:It's Bob sitting across a table from "the arm," in both instances.
And it looks like it might be the same room.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

pixletwin wrote:
BigEd wrote:It's Bob sitting across a table from "the arm," in both instances.
And it looks like it might be the same room.
Interesting! Whether or not the same room, in both cases the windows have been partially blocked (paper in one, plywood in another). That twitter guy was likely on to something here. I hadn't seen this prior, but when I looked at the pair of photos, the message seemed quite obvious. (Queue about two dozen responses telling us that this is just coincidence and means absolutely nothing :lol: )
Last edited by BigEd on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Of the small roles shown so far, I've had Laura Harring in mind for Dougie's flirtatious co-worker played by Elena Satine. I have no idea why.

Or maybe the little Ana de la Reguera scene? Wonder if Laura even got to read the scene or just turned it down because she knew it was only one scene. Hmm. Didn't she show up in the closing credits of Inland Empire, and not even have any dialogue?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Speaking of Laura Harring, wasn't she on the cast list? I coulda swore she was.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Harring was in the closing credits and was one of the rabbits IIRC so a little more than a cameo I'd say.

Personally think her appearance in the credits is more of a nod to another film though, if you catch my drift.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Speaking of Laura Harring, wasn't she on the cast list? I coulda swore she was.
Laura Harring is not on the cast list ... see the complete cast list in the link in my signature.
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

writersblock wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Hey, here's something for everyone to consider: the two girls performing with James are listed in the credits as Backup Singer #2 and Backup Singer #3. No mention of Backup Singer #1, and there certainly only appear to be two of them on stage. Mistake? An attempt at humor? Or an incredible moment of cosmic significance that once seen cannot be unseen and proves that time is folding in on itself and that every storyline is taking place in an alternate flash-forward timeline?
Backup Singer 1 is Donna and Sheryl Lee already has a credit :D
I read through all of the posts and haven't seen anyone mention this: it sounds as though another voice cuts in just after James starts singing, almost like an echo or someone who just missed their cue and came in late. I think it's actually James's own voice, but the effect is a little otherworldly and almost discordant if you listen closely. To clarify, I am not saying this means anything, but it is an interesting tie in with the out-of-sync reflections in this week's episode. It definitely makes me think the Audrey and Ed reflections were intentional.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Saturn's child wrote: Yeah, I've always been intrigued by her reaction; I think it's great. In some ways I feel it mirrors the Pilot Coop's darker edge (which resurfaces in ep 29), the way he comes across macabrely interested in the unfolding mystery.

As for the Return's Audrey, I'm loving your ongoing speculation. Even if she does end up existing in the 'real world' & not in a coma/dream, such speculation allows your mind to stretch & travel to some pretty interesting places. (ie: to the ninth circle of hell with the Occam's Razor crowd, bring on the rabbit holes! Ed's reflection is sentient! Audrey is the reincarnation of Laura! Evolution of the Arm is still played by MJA who hides in the trunk! etc)
Thanks! I'm loving having a week between episodes to really ponder and digest the content. I'm eternally grateful that Lynch/Frost didn't go the Netflix route and drop this all at once.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Cappy wrote:I'm loving having a week between episodes to really ponder and digest the content. I'm eternally grateful that Lynch/Frost didn't go the Netflix route and drop this all at once.
I still really wish they had. I think it would have made a world of difference and I'm just grateful that in the near future it will never have to be watched this way again (even though I think that DL is very conscious of the one hour episode length structure of these "parts" and has constructed them accordingly).
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Does anyone think they'll ever talk about Judy...at all? We've seen all this dialogue surrounding Jefferies but have yet to have a single reference to Judy
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

trismegistus wrote:Does anyone think they'll ever talk about Judy...at all? We've seen all this dialogue surrounding Jefferies but have yet to have a single reference to Judy
I sort of hope not. It's an intriguing and tempting idea, but the Blue Rose and the ring have been a tad de-mystified to me by the way the Return has utilized them. I sort of enjoy Judy as a tantalizing non sequitir.
28renton

Post by 28renton »

F*U*Tammy wrote: I read through all of the posts and haven't seen anyone mention this: it sounds as though another voice cuts in just after James starts singing, almost like an echo or someone who just missed their cue and came in late. I think it's actually James's own voice, but the effect is a little otherworldly and almost discordant if you listen closely. To clarify, I am not saying this means anything, but it is an interesting tie in with the out-of-sync reflections in this week's episode. It definitely makes me think the Audrey and Ed reflections were intentional.
It sounds like you're describing the slapback effect on the vocal. It's a common effect, heard on a lot of John Lennon/Elvis Presley vocals. Was big in the 50's, and Just You has a very 50's sound.
sirpsychoswayze

Post by sirpsychoswayze »

BGate wrote:
chromereflectsimage wrote:
Pinky wrote:

he says 'but it's not a real place'
Bad Cooper asked 'Phillip Jeffries' back in the first episode whether he was still 'nowhere'.... could this 'nowhere' and 'not a real place' be the Dutchman's? Is this the place of non-existence? Just a thought.
Also, importantly, Evil Coop says, "I know WHAT it is" and not "I know WHERE it is".
Another little thing that may support this theory is that Carel Struycken actually *is* a Dutchman. Would also help to explain why they've credited him as ??????? so far. I think you guys could be on to something...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Maybe Jeffries, or whoever is posing as Jeffries, is sending messages through that grammophone in the grey & white room.
TheLodger1980

Post by TheLodger1980 »

"Dutchman" is 8 letters and wasn't there 8 question marks about Carl Struycken's character? Could it be Evil Coop is trying to access the White Lodge to control or destroy it?