Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

raltenbach wrote:Maybe that's all James Hurley is: the evil that men do.
:lol: Standing ovation. And I didn't even mind him showing up again for a spot of crooning.

It led beautifully up to Ed's final scene over the credits. No music, just the sound of passing cars. What a scene.

Funny that that scene lives in the same universe as "Très chic!"
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

* So that was the scene people saw being filmed wherein Jacoby sees a golden shovel in the window of Run Silent, Run Drapes and hits the brakes. In my head, the circumstances for that scene were a lot different. I had assumed he was in search of a golden shovel, and that the classic TP horror music-stab would play when he sees one and screeches his brakes. Why? No idea. :lol:

* The spotlight on Sonny Jim's playground reminded me of the ones during Maddie's murder, or any time there was a lodge spirit apparition in the real world. Intentional evocation, and why?

* Sinclair was shown a lot of mercy this episode, and Dougie turning his enemies (like the Mitchum Bros.) into friends will pay off for him later I'm sure.

* Did Richard overhear the part about The Dutchman's? Does he know how to get to it?

* I wasn't totally convinced about the Audrey coma theory last week, but this episode carries some suggestion that she's trapped in her own mind in some way. Dementia from the bank explosion seems probable to me. How else would she not know how to get to the roadhouse?
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

I thought I recognized the arm wrestling ref: he's Jon Turturro's brother/cousin that feeds them horse in O Brother Where Art Thou! Among other things, I'm sure.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

that would be a crazy trip if this whole season was in audrey's head lol.

btw, i'm now 100% convinced we are not getting our cooper back. this will be dougie vs. dopple till the end. maybe we get 10 seconds...maybe.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

asquideatingdough wrote:I thought I recognized the arm wrestling ref: he's Jon Turturro's brother/cousin that feeds them horse in O Brother Where Art Thou! Among other things, I'm sure.
Frank Collison. Yes. Look him up. He's got a unique look.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

wxray wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:I thought I recognized the arm wrestling ref: he's Jon Turturro's brother/cousin that feeds them horse in O Brother Where Art Thou! Among other things, I'm sure.
Frank Collison. Yes. Look him up. He's got a unique look.
He was also in Wild at Heart, at the motel in Big Tuna: "That fuckin' Bob was so fuckin' dumb he deserved to die! That asshole!"
GrapesOnTheEdge

Post by GrapesOnTheEdge »

Numbers on James's serenade partner's arm: 4662 or 4663...any significance?

She seemed to have a rose on her wine drinkin' wrist...was it blue?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Rewatching now. The Fusco brothers piss me off! The bald one acts a little too much like Packer from The Office (his character there).

Here we think this will cause the FBI to get alerted. Instead, it goes in the waste basket.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

RainingPostToasties wrote:* I wasn't totally convinced about the Audrey coma theory last week, but this episode carries some suggestion that she's trapped in her own mind in some way. Dementia from the bank explosion seems probable to me. How else would she not know how to get to the roadhouse?
Her line about wanting both to stay and to go kind of made me think she was on the brink of waking up from a coma. Reminded me of things Jacoby said to Ed about Nadine in her cheerleader regression. And of course, they had a nice scene together tonight.

I like how in the two scenes we've scene of Audrey and Charlie, there's little to suggest any time frame after a good 25 years ago, other than her age.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

garethw wrote:
RainingPostToasties wrote:* I wasn't totally convinced about the Audrey coma theory last week, but this episode carries some suggestion that she's trapped in her own mind in some way. Dementia from the bank explosion seems probable to me. How else would she not know how to get to the roadhouse?
Her line about wanting both to stay and to go kind of made me think she was on the brink of waking up from a coma. Reminded me of things Jacoby said to Ed about Nadine in her cheerleader regression. And of course, they had a nice scene together tonight.

I like how in the two scenes we've scene of Audrey and Charlie, there's little to suggest any time frame after a good 25 years ago, other than her age.
If anything, the timeframe appears to be about 1938. EDIT: maybe 1945. Hmmm....
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:Numbers on James's serenade partner's arm: 4662 or 4663...any significance?

I thought it could be 4668 as well.

It reminded me very much of the coordinates on Ruth Hastings' arm.

She also had a sort of loop pendant like three women in part 12, but this one is a moon and star.
roudhouse_part_13.png
roudhouse_part_13.png (719.49 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

garethw wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
garethw wrote:
IIRC, Mulholland Dr -- on some level, about an amnesiac -- was originally conceived as a TP spin-off, with Sherilynn Fenn in the lead role.

And now here we are.

I'm more of the still-in-a-coma persuasion, but it's an interesting parallel.
What if, in classic Lynch fashion,
Spoiler:
Audrey is telling this story? And why?
I would probably lose my sh*t.

Man, what's going to happen in the next five hours?
The way it cuts to her scenes and out of them leads me to believe she's either telling this story, what we're seeing, or she's guiding it along from some sort of otherworldly perspective. The why would be easy, to save Cooper! Good lord it'd be cool if it turned out that way.
raltenbach
Roadhouse Member

Post by raltenbach »

Did anyone watch this part with subtitles on? I see people quoting Charlie "Do you want me to end your story too?", but I thought he said "Do you want me to enter story 2?", which is an odd thing to say, but it didn't seem more bizarre than half the things uttered in their scenes together.
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

Jasper wrote:
GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:Numbers on James's serenade partner's arm: 4662 or 4663...any significance?

I thought it could be 4668 as well.

It reminded me very much of the coordinates on Ruth Hastings' arm.

She also had a sort of loop pendant like three women in part 12, but this one is a moon and star.

roudhouse_part_13.png
Looks like 7-6-68 to my eyes... tattoo of someone's birth date?
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

raltenbach wrote:Did anyone watch this part with subtitles on? I see people quoting Charlie "Do you want me to end your story too?", but I thought he said "Do you want me to enter story 2?", which is an odd thing to say, but it didn't seem more bizarre than half the things uttered in their scenes together.
That's what I thought I heard too, about entering story 2.