TheGum wrote:I rarely post before a re-watch, but thoughts:
- the spotlight made me SO nervous. foreshadowing? Trolling?
- Fusco totally makes the connection to Cooper, but trashes it. Classic trolling.
- which boxing match is that? Could it be Dougie's boss? Whether or not it's a time loop something is happening in that house (pun intended) The electricity noice is significant
- "found stuff from my father today" I think really challenges the expectations that this is entirely linear
- the arm wrestling stuff was classic
- love that the arm wrestling gang is all watching the exact same show we are. Reminds me a lot of the commentary we picked up from them watching the empty box early on in the season- things are happening, stakes are higher, and now we are ALL really watching
- I am completely convinced Audrey is stuck in a dream or coma. "Do you want me to end your story?" The ghost wood comment? So many non-sequitors its completely dream like. I have zero doubts at this point
- All the Dougie's joke setups were fantastic
- Totally thought szymon's or whatever pie was gonna be connected to norma
- poor big ed
-BOB is definitely still in cooper, and jeffries or someone from the lodge pretending to be jeffries wants him home NOW. "I''m supposed to go back to a place called the black lodge tomorrow, but I'm not going there."
- loved the re-doing of the end of FWWM with the ring...I think we're inching closer to understanding.
- Lynch got us SO GOOD with the James song. Kudos. Which brings me to the last point-
I think Lynch has been toying with expectations the entire season, but this one really brought it all home. So much epic trolling. This entire episode was constantly fucking with our expectations. But also seemed to be one of the most dense and signicant this season. Cannot wait to watch this 3 more times.
Meta-comment: I'm fascinated by the evolution of the word "trolling". I think it originally meant "entering a USENET group you're not really interested in and picking fights." It slowly expanded to cover other Internet milieus as they evolved. Then in the last few years it evolved to "being an awful person on the Internet", often with some connotation of having ulterior motives. And now it seems to be also used to mean "pointedly defying expectations".
I'll keep a light on for the OED brigade.