Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

TheGum wrote:I rarely post before a re-watch, but thoughts:

- the spotlight made me SO nervous. foreshadowing? Trolling?

- Fusco totally makes the connection to Cooper, but trashes it. Classic trolling.

- which boxing match is that? Could it be Dougie's boss? Whether or not it's a time loop something is happening in that house (pun intended) The electricity noice is significant

- "found stuff from my father today" I think really challenges the expectations that this is entirely linear

- the arm wrestling stuff was classic

- love that the arm wrestling gang is all watching the exact same show we are. Reminds me a lot of the commentary we picked up from them watching the empty box early on in the season- things are happening, stakes are higher, and now we are ALL really watching

- I am completely convinced Audrey is stuck in a dream or coma. "Do you want me to end your story?" The ghost wood comment? So many non-sequitors its completely dream like. I have zero doubts at this point

- All the Dougie's joke setups were fantastic

- Totally thought szymon's or whatever pie was gonna be connected to norma

- poor big ed

-BOB is definitely still in cooper, and jeffries or someone from the lodge pretending to be jeffries wants him home NOW. "I''m supposed to go back to a place called the black lodge tomorrow, but I'm not going there."

- loved the re-doing of the end of FWWM with the ring...I think we're inching closer to understanding.

- Lynch got us SO GOOD with the James song. Kudos. Which brings me to the last point-

I think Lynch has been toying with expectations the entire season, but this one really brought it all home. So much epic trolling. This entire episode was constantly fucking with our expectations. But also seemed to be one of the most dense and signicant this season. Cannot wait to watch this 3 more times.
Meta-comment: I'm fascinated by the evolution of the word "trolling". I think it originally meant "entering a USENET group you're not really interested in and picking fights." It slowly expanded to cover other Internet milieus as they evolved. Then in the last few years it evolved to "being an awful person on the Internet", often with some connotation of having ulterior motives. And now it seems to be also used to mean "pointedly defying expectations".

I'll keep a light on for the OED brigade.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Deep Thought wrote:
fluorescent light wrote:When did Sheryl Lee (credited) appear in this episode? I must have missed it

To the question above: subtitle was "end your story too"
Sheryl Lee singing backup in the roadhouse (audio only).
Isn't she credited in every episode because of Laura's prom photo appearing in the opening credits?
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Great Jumping George !!!

This ep through me for a loop at every turn.

I feel the vibe of "good episode" but feel the angst of existential protraction.

The Audrey dilemna was most intriguing here.

But to be honest ...i feel more like there is abundant obfuscation with such a true shortage of timeline yet to come.

( ...if only it would continue beyond "The Return"....)

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Sky Germany customers beware Episode 13 contains Episode 14 - i Just watched it and was baffled with this thread as there was all different. We are Like the dreamer
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Jasper wrote:
GrapesOnTheEdge wrote:Numbers on James's serenade partner's arm: 4662 or 4663...any significance?

She seemed to have a rose on her wine drinkin' wrist...was it blue?
I thought it could be 4668 as well.

It reminded me very much of the coordinates on Ruth Hastings' arm.

She also had a sort of loop pendant like three women in part 12, but this one is a moon and star.

roudhouse_part_13.png
"Electricity is humming. You hear it in the mountains and rivers. You see it dance among the seas and stars and glowing around the moon, but in these days the glow is dying. What will be in the darkness that remains?" - Log Lady
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

zeronumber wrote:Great Jumping George !!!

This ep through me for a loop at every turn.

I feel the vibe of "good episode" but feel the angst of existential protraction.

The Audrey dilemna was most intriguing here.

But to be honest ...i feel more like there is abundant obfuscation with such a true shortage of timeline yet to come.

( ...if only it would continue beyond "The Return"....)

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Me too... "the angst of existential protraction!" After last week, which was my least favorite part so far, I was expecting/hoping for more this week. Bobby: "We found some stuff my dad left today." Today?!!! :D
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

garethw wrote:
Meta-comment: I'm fascinated by the evolution of the word "trolling". I think it originally meant "entering a USENET group you're not really interested in and picking fights." It slowly expanded to cover other Internet milieus as they evolved. Then in the last few years it evolved to "being an awful person on the Internet", often with some connotation of having ulterior motives. And now it seems to be also used to mean "pointedly defying expectations".

I'll keep a light on for the OED brigade.

I too am familiar with the etymology, but at this point I feel like it's generally evolved to mean "fucking with in general"
I'm back in style!
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

fluorescent light wrote:When did Sheryl Lee (credited) appear in this episode? I must have missed it
I think this has been discussed but she is credited in every episode because her image appears over the opening credits.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Jasper wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:

To the question above: subtitle was "end your story too"
Sheryl Lee singing backup in the roadhouse (audio only).
Isn't she credited in every episode because of Laura's prom photo appearing in the opening credits?
Yes
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Nothing earth shattering in this episode, but nothing bad in it either.

Dougie scenes were great.
Mr. C scenes were great.
The rest was ok.

Audrey Horne wrote:Can we now say it's safe to reevaluate Audrey's scene from Part 12?
That scene was still bad all around.
This scene was much better but even if it gives some context to the scene in the last episode it doesn't make that scene any better.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

And Dougie saved by a dandruff-inspired shoulder rub! What was that? Am I missing something... any reason Dougie would be drawn to Anthony's dandruff (and then play with it)?
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

Not sure if this is worthy of attention but I thought the name of the coffee shop -- Szymon's -- was so unusual that I looked it up. Google essentially points to an Australian musician whose debut album was released three years after his death. Perhaps there's meaning in that fact alone, or Lynch/Frost just wanted to send this unfortunate artist a posthumous shout-out. Hmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szymon_(musician)
Last edited by pvilmur on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

To each their own, Rami, each their own. I loved it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Audrey Horne wrote:To each their own, Rami, each their own. I loved it.
Sure thing :)

I'm glad at least some people loved the last episode Audrey stuff :)

I just wish it would've been as good as the scene in this episode was. This one had way tighter and every single line actually sounded interesting.
But as you said, to each their own :)
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

is this episode worth waiting for?? i watch it at 3am bc thats the time they upload it to netflix here
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward