Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

asquideatingdough wrote:
raltenbach wrote:Did anyone watch this part with subtitles on? I see people quoting Charlie "Do you want me to end your story too?", but I thought he said "Do you want me to enter story 2?", which is an odd thing to say, but it didn't seem more bizarre than half the things uttered in their scenes together.
That's what I thought I heard too, about entering story 2.
I thought it was Story 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

krishnanspace wrote:
BGate wrote:
Ashok wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what were the original rumors?
Some guy posted that his friend (of a friend?) had a minor part in the show and he was part of a crew of Irish gangsters led by a guy named Renzo. I'm assuming he was one of the many background dudes in that scene.
The guy with the AK and tattoo. I found him on Google+ and asked him about his role. He said he plays an Irish gangsters gang member
With those detective skills I think Albert and Gordon need you. ;)

Did anyoe notice that Mr C's face looked paler in this part? His hands were quite dark, but face seemed noticeably lighter to me.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

For some reason the Janey-E scenes gave me a terrible feeling something is going to happen to her.

I feel so sad for Audrey, but so excited to see where her story goes.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

nonemoreblack wrote:For some reason the Janey-E scenes gave me a terrible feeling something is going to happen to her.

Completely agree with you view on Janey E. So sad for audrey, ed, Sarah.....
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

nonemoreblack wrote:For some reason the Janey-E scenes gave me a terrible feeling something is going to happen to her.

Yup, the scene with her and Dougie at night with the playground thing was a moment of total foreboding.

There was a great quote from Peter Deming (cinematographer on this and also Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway) who said how he and the crew could all sense how badly things would eventually turn out for Naomi Watts' character in Mulholland Drive when they were shooting the early scenes. Same kind of vibe.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Watching Twin Peaks S2:2-4 ('Coma', 'The Man Behind the Glass', 'Laura's Secret Diary') prior to this part certainly made it very, very uncanny for me. The number of allusions, direct callbacks, and resonances was almost distressing. On the part of characters there is jealousy and self-abandonment and love-triangles everywhere; Audrey is the doped prisoner of Blackie; James caterwauls his way through that god-awful song; Leland flicks a lit match as he remembers the Robertson's guy ('wanna play with fire, little boy?'); Gerard has his episode in the cubicle after trying to sell expensive shoes to Harry.

During the arm-wrestling scene I was cringing in apprehension of DoppelCoop tearing Renzo's arm right off at the shoulder. Thankfully it never happened but I couldn't stop thinking about the arm and the one-armed man, and the long arm (of the law) that Gordon drew (and which may or may not appear on Hawk's magic map). It was no surprise then that we see Ray despatched to the lodge, and the owl cave ring being retrieved (ostensibly by MIKE, but we only see the arm). All of which set me thinking about limbs. Why has the arm evolved into a tree? Is it because a tree has limbs? What else, besides an arm, is a limb? Ah -- the foot. Like Jerry's talking foot, which is not his foot. Feet require shoes, and MIKE inhabited Philip Gerard, a shoe salesman. Cooper has lost his shoes. Will Cooper only finally return when a shoe salesman turns up?

Arm-wrestling: what an amazing scene, incredibly performed on all parts.

Next: holy cow, that boxing match glitching on Sarah's TV. Am I wrong, or did it glitch somewhat variably, as in sometimes the loop was longer and sometimes shorter? I feel we are being told something is wrong, time is out of joint. Also, I'm quite fond of this Battling Bud / Bushnell connection and the history it invokes (the Clay-Doug Jones-Cooper theory detailed above is aces). Repetition happens, I think, when Lynch emphatically wants us to notice something and wonder about it -- like the Hap's diner couple, one of who knows shit from shinola and one (French girl) who, IIRC likes the night. Someone mentioned broken records on another thread and I love this analogy -- when a record plays the sound itself is transparent, allowing the song or tune to play. But when a vinyl is scratched or damaged, or played at the wrong speed, or jumps, the sound is no longer transparent and comes to the foreground. At this point the medium obscures, or even becomes (as in Hip-Hop and the old phenomena of MCs and DJS purposefully scratching records) the message. There's repetition everywhere in this episode, and more generally, it is one of the strong themes of the Return (unsurprisingly). We are constantly being reminded of the show's artifice, but in a way that (for me at least) does not break immersion but rather enhances it: a kind of 'so what if this is all fictive, and we keep getting reminded about that, it's still one hell of a game to play'. I kinda feel like this attitude has some kind of metaphysical significance for Lynch: maybe it's a comment on the absurdity of real life, that is often feels like someone's bad joke at our expense, but we have to learn to laugh and love it anyway. We're responsible for everything except our responsibility itself, or as Cronenberg has it in ExistenZ -- 'We're [...] stumbling around [...] in this unformed world, whose rules and objectives are largely unknown, seemingly indecipherable or even possibly nonexistent, always on the verge of being killed by forces that we don't understand'. Existentialism 101. So, on a macro scale, there is something of an 'eternal recurrence' going on with Twin Peaks that makes the game have some kind of minimal consistency: the same things keep happening ('it is happening again'), albeit to different people. The fact that this is so makes it game-like, simulation-like, especially in view of the further fact that it is glaringly shown to us as repetitious. I have no doubts that this cyclicity is at the root of some viewers' feelings that the show is getting monotonous; the idea of the mono-tone, the repeated keynote, is as I see it part of the point. Everything proceeds cyclically. On the micro-level, Sarah Palmer seems to have become trapped, fell a victim, to this cycling and re-cycling of the same. She buys alcohol in bulk and chain-smokes her existence away, while wild animals and battling sportsmen slog it out on TV, with no-one ever emerging the victor.

Beautiful performance between Sizemore and MacLachlan, truly tender. Hilarious restroom scene. Everyone DougieCoop touches continues to turn to the light, no matter how deep in the shit they are. Don Murray is also profoundly well-used in this story; grace and mercy, the kind of understanding befitting a battler. DougieCoop is very lucky to have him on side -- well, insofar as luck means anything in Twin Peaks.

I want to talk very excitedly and at great length about the Audrey-Charlie scene and the wonderful metatheatrical subtleties involved but I fear I would never stop. For now let me just say I am immersed in the romantic irony of it all. There's been a book written about Lynch's use of romantic irony (also called transcendental irony) but I haven't read much past the introduction as yet. Still, what I understand so far is very apt to this film. Who is Audrey, who is holding her captive this time, and when and where is she? I'm reminded of that film Identity with Cusack, Liotta, Molina, Clea DuVall, which Badalamenti nearly scored. Existentialism 101 indeed. Charlie is shaping up to be some kind of insert, I think: a device of sorts. Maybe it is him in the New York cube photo after all, although I can't quite envisage him yogic flying at DoppelCoop's face height.

Finally, the Big Ed closing scene. Doleful, possibly eating creamed corn, playing with fire, while his reflection jumps. A car passes (twice?) and ominous fuel pumps loom in the background. I ask, is there any more summary scene of Twin Peaks than this one? I died and went to heaven.

Twice.
Last edited by Novalis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

in case anyone has missed this, Dean Hurley has released a digital album full of cues from his sound design work on the new Twin Peaks. it's posted in the Music section on this forum but i know i often go directly to the main Twin Peaks page..

besides being a very interesting listen the titles a few of these are very intriguing. "Seven Heaven", "Girl Appears", "Future / Past"... includes the "Eastern European Symphony" that was credited in episode 13:

http://pitchfork.com/news/twin-peaks-mu ... um-listen/
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Great part!

Random thought (maybe already mentioned?): the place where the gangsters are and the Ray/DoubleCoop stuff takes place is 'The Farm'. In the credits Christopher Durbin is credited as 'Farm Accountant'.

I was kinda hoping the Farm was Buella's place and that we were going to see that again.

Also: Alon Aboutboul was credited as 'Head Carrier'. Did I miss something? What role was that?

Finaly would like to add that I love Don Murray! And I missed Tammy :D
Last edited by MoondogJR on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

MoondogJR wrote: Also: Alon Aboutboul was credited as 'Head Carrier'. Did I miss something? What role was that?
I think it was "Head Mover." I think maybe the men who were moving the gym set into the Jones' backyard. Maybe the one who was speaking to Janey-E about where to put it?
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

A very good episode after last week's lackluster one. We can be pretty sure now that Audrey is cut off from the real world, whatever her physical state may be. There were strong hints given to indicate that in the previous episode, and now it's pretty much confirmed. I wonder if Audrey's state will give her some decisive role to play in the events to come when the Black Lodge is fully unleashed upon Twin Peaks. Temporal distortions going on at the Palmer house and Ed's gas farm suggest that everything is in a tenuous holding pattern, but the supernatural is encroaching upon reality more and more. My guess is that the Palmer house kitchen is already infested with the Woodsmen. Big Ed may also be in trouble as he is a proprietor of a "convenience store" type of a business that the Lodge spirits seem to be drawn to.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

claaa7 wrote:in case anyone has missed this, Dean Hurley has released a digital album full of cues from his sound design work on the new Twin Peaks. it's posted in the Music section on this forum but i know i often go directly to the main Twin Peaks page..

besides being a very interesting listen the titles a few of these are very intriguing. "Seven Heaven", "Girl Appears", "Future / Past"... includes the "Eastern European Symphony" that was credited in episode 13:

http://pitchfork.com/news/twin-peaks-mu ... um-listen/
Thank you, I'll buy this later!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

pvilmur wrote:Not sure if this is worthy of attention but I thought the name of the coffee shop -- Szymon's -- was so unusual that I looked it up. Google essentially points to an Australian musician whose debut album was released three years after his death. Perhaps there's meaning in that fact alone, or Lynch/Frost just wanted to send this unfortunate artist a posthumous shout-out. Hmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szymon_(musician)
Pretty sure it's just a characteristically childish L/F play on "Simple Simon," who met a pieman going to the fair...a classic children's nursery rhyme. Coop buys pie there both times we see it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Re: the arm wrestling scene, I once knew a kid in high school who claimed he could 'lock' his arm, and if he was facing a stronger opponent, he just waited until the other guy tired himself out before beating him. That's kind of what this scene reminded me (seemed he was locking his arm) of course, until DoppelCoop punched him and caved the guy's nose into his head. Then it became clear he has 'super strength'.

I guess if there were two weaknesses to this episode, which I feel may have been one of the strongest yet, it's the fact that 1) Ray does not move to get DoppelCoop killed right away, knowing how dangerous he is, and 2) DoppelCoop is shown to have Nadine Hurley like 'super strength'.

Which begs the question- if DoppelCoop has super strength, does the Good Coop/Dougie also have it? Or is it the addition of Bob as a parasite that provides the extra strenth?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
BGate wrote:
Some guy posted that his friend (of a friend?) had a minor part in the show and he was part of a crew of Irish gangsters led by a guy named Renzo. I'm assuming he was one of the many background dudes in that scene.
The guy with the AK and tattoo. I found him on Google+ and asked him about his role. He said he plays an Irish gangsters gang member
With those detective skills I think Albert and Gordon need you. ;)

Did anyoe notice that Mr C's face looked paler in this part? His hands were quite dark, but face seemed noticeably lighter to me.
Yup noticed that. In part 9 after he washed up hr started to look paler,
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Jasper wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:Thanks, you making me all giddy - best show ever.

Update: Sky has taken it offline. Now only 12 parts available currently. I am glad I was able to watch it until the end.
I'm glad it's down. I hope it didn't get spread all over sharing sites.

I'm assuming it's dubbed. Is there the option to turn on English language subtitles? I hope not, because that will make it more likely to spread all over the place.
It's so weird that this happened. A tiny part of me wants to believe that it was somehow intentional, and serves as a reminder that there are THERE ARE SIX THOUSAND LANGUAGES SPOKEN IN THE WORLD TODAY. I don't know how many possible permutations of these parts there are*, but I guess it's a lot. Or maybe it's a coded comment on the timeline being scrambled, or viewable many ways. I seriously doubt it, but the niggling suspicion is enjoyable nonetheless.

*Actually I do, it's simply 18!, much more than 6,000 (closer I think to 6 quadrillion) but you get the picture.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?