Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Sheryl Lee continues to have the most unearned weekly credit possibly in TV history. (I adore Sheryl and wish we were seeing a LOT more of her, but it's absurd that she has been in one new scene all season and received credit on 13 episodes).
Have faith. I'm predicting we all discover secret Laura scenes in parts 4 - 13, hidden in various obscure reflections, which -- after lightening them -- show an amazing performance from Sheryl Lee. :wink:

In all seriousness though, I agree with you about Ed's reflection; seems intentional, even if it doesn't tie into the larger story. Just gives you 'the willies', as DKL would put it.
Although, if Ed was eating ordinary creamed corn, maybe his reflection was eating the garmonbozia? Ed would appear to have a lot of it...

& Sarah; amazing as always, even in her loop. Because of the "what's in the kitchen!?" setup from the previous part, I thought this was very effective, Sarah going back & forth to the kitchen but it's out of reach for us. Really wonderful tension & mystery.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

marchug wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Sigh.

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.
How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?
Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Sigh.

I can't believe what a drag this board has become.

This was always a place where people could come and talk about Twin Peaks. For over a decade now we have come to talk about all the little theories and ideas and things we've noticed. People pointing out Lynch directing Everret McGill to look into a reflection and have that reflection do something a ten seconds slower (and not unlike David Bowie's character in FWWM) is surely worthy of pointing out. Especially in an episode where a major character from the original series is unaware that her TV is stuck in an ever-so-slightly changing loop that restarts with the sound of electricity. Even if we are all wrong, why the hell are we all here discussing anything about this episode if we can't bring this shit up?

Sigh.
Agreed.
Part of the fun for many of us is to look into things and find (or add) significance to them. It's just a playful way to keep the episodes alive. I can't believe that someone is saying, on a forum, that we shouldn't analyze or over analyze the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

wow. amazing dark episode. and the james song omg <3. tbh this was everything i hoped for the revival to be. iam fan again.

i think the reason so many people disliked last episode (myself included) it was bc it killed the mystery for a lot of things. but this week episode was alk about the mystery again
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Snailhead wrote:
Cappy wrote:If Audrey feels like she isn't herself, or that she doesn't even know who she is anymore, then who else is she? I think...
Cappy - while I'm not expecting any of those scenarios to come to fruition, that's one of my favourite posts in a while. Some really fascinating possibilities.
Yeah, I agree. Beautiful post Cappy!
-
As above, so below.
-
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

baxter wrote:Really enjoyed last nights episode. My main thoughts are:

5) Am particularly annoyed on behalf of German TP fans who were forced to watch the series in the wrong order.
i think that is the "beauty" of this. Until they viewed to comments on the part that everyone else watched, they had no idea they saw another part. I feel sorry for them as they will have a week wait for a new part now. Unless 13 is held off in Germany until next week?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Big Ed killed me. After that scene from TMP, all I wanted from the new show was for Ed & Norma to find happiness. Glad McGill is being given some subtle emotional material instead of the comedic mugging he was asked to do for much of season 2 with the "Super Nadine" crap. I can't be the only one who thought he was going to commit suicide by burning down the gas station, right? I'm still not 100% convinced that he wasn't considering it, at least for a second. He's always struck me as a clinically depressed guy hiding behind a "strong silent type" exterior.
Yes - he is watching the love of his life slip through his fingers yet again, he's watching the cars passing on the highway by his empty gas station - all as he sits in isolation eating a cup of soup. - And then there's the glitch in the reflection. I don't think he's suicidal, but I definitely think the idea is crossing his mind when he burns that piece of paper - what if I just burned it all down, and all of this would go away? Even Big Eds have their limits.

I echo your thoughts on SF - heartbreaking scene. She nailed that performance.

I enjoyed Renzo's CPA, too :D. Even Evil Coop seemed freaked out by that little dude for a moment.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

top 3 episode for me. and that's saying something. laughed so hard when fuscos threw the fingerprints in the bin and the camera showed it land + reactions on their faces afterwards.

legendary stuff
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

Ragnell wrote:I'm sorry, I can't get over the Janey-E thing. Woman jumped into a struggle with an armed gunman to protect her husband. How can anyone read that as only caring for herself?
!!!!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah, Sherilyn was great. I was unsure of her performance in part 12 on first viewing, but she was so so good in this one.

Here's a very strange thing I will share - despite the wretched characters they play, I find myself quite attracted to Richard Horne and Ray. What's wrong with me?!
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Cappy wrote:If Audrey feels like she isn't herself, or that she doesn't even know who she is anymore, then who else is she? I think the trauma of some past event might have fractured her psyche (or identity) into different characters, with each character representing some facet of her personality . . .
Really enjoyed this post. I've been wondering if there is going to be some wild Mulholland Drive twist - that the show we thought we were watching is suddenly going to turn into something else. Given that Audrey is rumored to have a significant role, Charlie's question about ending her story, and Audrey's recounting of two stories (I'm assuming the Ghostwood reference is a story, as well, but it could very well be her recounting her decision whether or not to go to the bank that fateful day), I'm hoping for something crazy and unexpected.

And what did everyone think of the "too" in "do you want me to end your story, too?"
Is it just his exasperation that she wants him to complete her thoughts and actions, or is it more literal - is it a threat? Is there an inference with the "too" that he has ended other people's stories, as well?
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

Snailhead wrote:Yeah, Sherilyn was great. I was unsure of her performance in part 12 on first viewing, but she was so so good in this one.

Here's a very strange thing I will share - despite the wretched characters they play, I find myself quite attracted to Richard Horne and Ray. What's wrong with me?!
lol. richard IS kinda hot.
EddyEdson

Post by EddyEdson »

Hester Prynne wrote:
And what did everyone think of the "too" in "do you want me to end your story, too?"
Is it just his exasperation that she wants him to complete her thoughts and actions, or is it more literal - is it a threat? Is there an inference with the "too" that he has ended other people's stories, as well?
Charlie may actually be God - the inadequate little potato-head God we're lumbered with - and Audrey unfortunately is having a direct revelation.

Alternatively, Charlie may be Audrey's foot & in fact every character in the series may actually be just somebody's foot. Jerry, via constant THC brain-marinating, has an addled glimpse of this.

Hopefully, the real explanation is something stranger.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
4. BOB is obviously still in Mr. C, as I've predicted since Part 8. We know this because of Mr. C's supernatural strength, but also because he survived Ray's gunshot. We also know this because Ray tells us that Jeffries wants what's inside of Mr. C. There's very little reason to raise this idea unless BOB is still in Mr. C.

?
I also belive Bob is still with Mr.C. I'm not sure if Jefferies is so much interested in Bob. As he may be after the garmonbonzia.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Snailhead wrote:Yeah, Sherilyn was great. I was unsure of her performance in part 12 on first viewing, but she was so so good in this one.

Forgot to mention -- Richard slinking unexpectedly out of the ranks of Renzo's men to stare at the screen was almost on par with the Woodsmen descending on Mr. C. Gloriously creepy, unexpected and snakelike. Farron is joining the ranks of Hopper, Blake and DaFoe as an all-time DKL villain.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Mr. Jackpots wrote: I also belive Bob is still with Mr.C. I'm not sure if Jefferies is so much interested in Bob. As he may be after the garmonbonzia.
I was firmly in the camp that the woodsmen removed BOB, but now I admit that seems to be wrong.

I'm very curious what the relationship between Mr C and the woodsmen is. Were they trying to steal BOB but were unable? Were they trying to heal Mr C to ensure BOB stayed inside him? Are they a distinct faction from the Mr C/BOB/"Jeffries" factions? We still have no idea why "Jeffries" wants to "be with BOB again"