Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

I'm the Muffin
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by I'm the Muffin »

Major Briggs wrote:It's really disappointing that the emotional impact of the scene is being urderappreciated because of a fucking reflection that won't mean anything...
Remember, we're all going to be discussing these episodes for years and years to come, just as we have with the original series. This isn't the only chance we're going to have to appreciate its emotional impact! It IS however the only chance we're going to get to indulge in wild speculation before the complete picture is revealed to us. So why don't we have that fun while we can?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I'm the Muffin wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:It's really disappointing that the emotional impact of the scene is being urderappreciated because of a fucking reflection that won't mean anything...
Remember, we're all going to be discussing these episodes for years and years to come, just as we have with the original series. This isn't the only chance we're going to have to appreciate its emotional impact! It IS however the only chance we're going to get to indulge in wild speculation before the complete picture is revealed to us. So why don't we have that fun while we can?

YES! This exactly! This is the only time we'll ever not know whether or not something will be brought up again!
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

I'm the Muffin wrote:
+1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Ragnell wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Who else is craving hardcore to hear this song on a new episode??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBRyNNW3u0

I know we're not getting TMFAP but I'd love to hear it in ANY weird context in the new show. It's just so damn good and so damn Twin Peaks!
I associate that piece more with Cooper than with TMFAP. Because it first plays during the dream but it also plays elsewhere during the show during Cooper scenes. It's such iconic music, and so tied with Cooper's dreams and intuition that I can't imagine we won't hear it. I'm betting we hear it when he finally "wakes" up from being Dougie.
whoisalhedges wrote:
cgs027 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:.

Good point! I completely forgot about that. I hope we get Coop again and it means some amazing quintessential Twin Peaks jazz music!
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Ragnell wrote:
claaa7 wrote:so which was all of your favorite scene from this latest episode?

having had a week to reflect on it (and one rewatch) i think my favorite overall is the Sonny Jim in 7th Heaven (or as Cooper repeats it back, "Seven heaven" - a clue, as in ??????? Heaven perhaps?). very strong scene with a perfect Lynchian atmosphere, complete with the eerie yet beautiful rendition of the Swan Lake song produced by either Lynch, Badalamenti or Hurley. the image of Sonny Jim having the time of his life while that spotlight searches for him and Janey-E and Dougie watches him as the proud parents they are (haha)

overall, the consensus seems to be that episode 13 was a slamdunk while 12 was a dissapointment.. i personally think 12 was a really strong part that demanded at least one rewatch while this part felt a little stale at times. in about 12 hours i will once again be in 7 Heaven!
The conga line at Lucky 7 insurance. Honestly, I enjoy this Las Vegas plotline so much that I just got overjoyed when it opened with the statue.

I thought 12 was a weak part that improved with each rewatch (I rewatched it once, then rewatched it with a friend last Saturday) and that this was a very strong one. It seems like since Ep 9 we've been alternating good and bad feelings on the evens and odds. But while I've avoided spoilers, I keep seeing positive statements from the Germans about 14 so maybe the pattern's broken.
I may be mistaken but the Swan Lake music sounds very much like the radically abbreviated version you get from those cheap Chinese-made music boxes you can buy from anywhere online. I have one that I bought for some media experiments, and it sounds virtually identical.

Just out of interest, did anyone slow down the music from that conga line scene yet? I would be interested to hear it. (And to the guys in the profoundly disappointed thread: no, not because I think it will mean anything; simply because I'm a freak who likes listening to modulated, processed and warpy stuff, especially if it amplifies the whole Twin Peaks experience).
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Novalis wrote:Just out of interest, did anyone slow down the music from that conga line scene yet? I would be interested to hear it. (And to the guys in the profoundly disappointed thread: no, not because I think it will mean anything; simply because I'm a freak who likes listening to modulated, processed and warpy stuff, especially if it amplifies the whole Twin Peaks experience).
Yes, someone did, in the comments of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDI7QJ ... zrk0h00410 It's one of the regular Badalamenti drum beats sped up, but they're arguing a little about which one.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Novalis wrote: Just out of interest, did anyone slow down the music from that conga line scene yet? I would be interested to hear it. (And to the guys in the profoundly disappointed thread: no, not because I think it will mean anything; simply because I'm a freak who likes listening to modulated, processed and warpy stuff, especially if it amplifies the whole Twin Peaks experience).
Hear y'go:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kQcd3odx2h

Reveals the Badalamenti percussion (or rather a looping sample of it) and a some other mangled audio (slot machines are my guess). Sounds like a sampler jam...
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Esselgee wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:In Part 11, in a scene suggested to be in advance of many of the scenes in Part 13, the police officer says he'd just been at Big Ed's Gas farm. Why was he out there? Could be interesting...
He was getting gas?
Who would actually stop at Ed's to get gas? It looks like the pumps don't even have credit card readers! He only takes cash for repairs, it seems. Does he also require cash to fill up? In any normal town, I think Big Ed would have been out of business a long time ago.
Somebody who didn't want to drive to Dear Meadow for gas (because the Gas Farm is the only station in town)?
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Ragnell wrote:
claaa7 wrote:so which was all of your favorite scene from this latest episode?

having had a week to reflect on it (and one rewatch) i think my favorite overall is the Sonny Jim in 7th Heaven (or as Cooper repeats it back, "Seven heaven" - a clue, as in ??????? Heaven perhaps?). very strong scene with a perfect Lynchian atmosphere, complete with the eerie yet beautiful rendition of the Swan Lake song produced by either Lynch, Badalamenti or Hurley. the image of Sonny Jim having the time of his life while that spotlight searches for him and Janey-E and Dougie watches him as the proud parents they are (haha)

overall, the consensus seems to be that episode 13 was a slamdunk while 12 was a dissapointment.. i personally think 12 was a really strong part that demanded at least one rewatch while this part felt a little stale at times. in about 12 hours i will once again be in 7 Heaven!
The conga line at Lucky 7 insurance. Honestly, I enjoy this Las Vegas plotline so much that I just got overjoyed when it opened with the statue.

I thought 12 was a weak part that improved with each rewatch (I rewatched it once, then rewatched it with a friend last Saturday) and that this was a very strong one. It seems like since Ep 9 we've been alternating good and bad feelings on the evens and odds. But while I've avoided spoilers, I keep seeing positive statements from the Germans about 14 so maybe the pattern's broken.
You will not be disappointed.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

the waits keep on feeling longer as we get closer to the end... AHHHHHH
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Did my rewatch of this, and was going to also go for the Sonny Jim scene as my favourite until I remembered the amazing Audrey scene. Incredible stuff, and it redeemed last weeks confusing scene that, like for many others, came across as a bit too obscure for me.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Is that a blue rose?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 7.58.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 7.58.42 PM.png (656.64 KiB) Viewed 19509 times
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by zeronumber »

madeleineferguson wrote:Is that a blue rose?
Great Jumping George!

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

madeleineferguson wrote:Is that a blue rose?
I don't think it means anything. Like the numbers on her other arm, it's one of the tattoos that the actress has. And it's a black rose, anyway.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

not trying to be a wind up merchant or anything, but about this big ed glitch, in ep 14,
Spoiler:
after the '' i am the fireman '' line, the andy glitch is pretty much the same ( arms down/ pick something up/ back of head shot foreground)
''let's not overthink this opportunity''