Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by homieonice »

The next person who says "Time is running out" ....

srsly
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

homieonice wrote:The next person who says "Time is running out" ....

srsly
Time is running out
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Honestly? Travelling through the Lodge realm woukd overcome all pacing problems... and all 3 major locations have a Lodge entrance marked by "Sycamore." With the bad guys together just in the next state, these plots and characters can converge very very quickly once we get to the afternoon of October 1.

And if they do plan a sudden wakeup for Coop... that will kick things into overdrive. Dale Cooper puts things together fast and acts fast, and he will have knowledge from inside the Lodge.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

srsly
Don't get me wrong, I trust L&F on this and I know it's been finished for quite some time (unlike some who are underr the impression this is being produced on a weekly basis! duh...) but I feel there's so much left to still unwrap and we currently have 5 hrs left (4 hrs for our German friends) with both Coopers still stuck in the desert. I believe especially the finale is gonna be WICKED crazy.

EDIT: Trua that, Ragnell. Totally true. I suppose that is exactly what's bound to happen.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

marchug wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:Sigh.
I can't believe what a drag this board has become.

This was always a place where people could come and talk about Twin Peaks. For over a decade now we have come to talk about all the little theories and ideas and things we've noticed. People pointing out Lynch directing Everret McGill to look into a reflection and have that reflection do something a ten seconds slower (and not unlike David Bowie's character in FWWM) is surely worthy of pointing out. Especially in an episode where a major character from the original series is unaware that her TV is stuck in an ever-so-slightly changing loop that restarts with the sound of electricity. Even if we are all wrong, why the hell are we all here discussing anything about this episode if we can't bring this shit up?

Sigh.
Dealing with Chads is just a fact of life when discussing Lynch online.
Last edited by dropkick23 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

marchug wrote:

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.
How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?
Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Sigh.

This was always a place where people could come and talk about Twin Peaks. For over a decade now we have come to talk about all the little theories and ideas and things we've noticed. People pointing out Lynch directing Everret McGill to look into a reflection and have that reflection do something a ten seconds slower (and not unlike David Bowie's character in FWWM) is surely worthy of pointing out. Especially in an episode where a major character from the original series is unaware that her TV is stuck in an ever-so-slightly changing loop that restarts with the sound of electricity. Even if we are all wrong, why the hell are we all here discussing anything about this episode if we can't bring this shit up?

Sigh.

Oh my God.

You can bring it up. Just don't attribute your theories that are going to ultimately be wrong with Cosmic Signifcance. Don't use such portentious, pretentious language as "I can't unsee what I've seen!" and "Something significant has happened!" when one episode later, your theories have been squashed.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

srsly

There's a clock counter. Apparently.

If you don't answer everyone's questions, they make a poopy face. It's written somewhere in blood that TV shows all function exactly the same way, and that's to answer stuff for people, so they can sleep and then wake up and go to work, feeling good.

Let's ignore that Lynch loves mystery and thinks the most beautiful mysteries are those left unanswered.

Let's also forget he largely views the world as absurd, which means there aren't any answers but our own human claims.

Tick, tick, tick, David!
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Electric Tree wrote:I'm staying in the "there's nothing to the final Big Ed scene except a guy who's mulling over his life and losses" group. People are looking for (and apparently finding) something that isnt there.
If you can rewatch that scene, you can see Ed looking intently into his reflection as if he is surprised by something. His body movement does not match that of his reflection so there is something going on there.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I can't find anything in the history of the show that indicates Lynch and Frost want us to focus on the significance of split-second moments that require a freeze-frame to interpret.

Sarah's TV repeating itself on endless loop? Okay, THAT's significant and weird and worthy of comment. People seeing some sort of time-shift in a Big Ed reflection that's so effing obscure to begin with I couldn't see it on original veiwing and even after six thousand people have posted freeze-frames I can still barely kind of even maybe halfway see there even is a reflection? That is NOT a signficant moment. And all the people who think it is don't understand Twin Peaks. They're getting all these crazy theories from having watched X-Files or Lost or something. That's not how Twin Peaks has ever operated. You're getting this let's freeze a frame and overanalyze it to the nth degree from some other show, not Twin Peaks.

I had no idea when I got these message boards how clueless so many people would be about how this show should be viewed. It makes me as unhappy as you are with my comments.
Last edited by sewhite2000 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Hester Prynne wrote:
Cappy wrote:If Audrey feels like she isn't herself, or that she doesn't even know who she is anymore, then who else is she? I think the trauma of some past event might have fractured her psyche (or identity) into different characters, with each character representing some facet of her personality . . .
Really enjoyed this post. I've been wondering if there is going to be some wild Mulholland Drive twist - that the show we thought we were watching is suddenly going to turn into something else. Given that Audrey is rumored to have a significant role, Charlie's question about ending her story, and Audrey's recounting of two stories (I'm assuming the Ghostwood reference is a story, as well, but it could very well be her recounting her decision whether or not to go to the bank that fateful day), I'm hoping for something crazy and unexpected.

And what did everyone think of the "too" in "do you want me to end your story, too?"
Is it just his exasperation that she wants him to complete her thoughts and actions, or is it more literal - is it a threat? Is there an inference with the "too" that he has ended other people's stories, as well?
There's a very good possibility of this. Although it would make sense for a shift to happen just after RDR's roadhouse performance, I'm not sure we've gotten to that point in the story yet seeing some scenes are clearly lagging behind the others and Audrey is still being shown prior to the Roadhouse. Something about the preview shot of Cooper with his FBI badge on and driving suggests to me that we might be moving to a completely different (but similar) world ala Diane Selwyn's world rather than Dougie snapping out of it or EvilCoop impersonating Cooper.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

sewhite2000 wrote:
marchug wrote:

People went insane about the flashing windows on the airplane. People went insane over the glitch as Tammy walks down the hall toward Gordon's motel room door. People went insane over the changing patrons in the Double R. People went insane over an apparent glitch in the movement of the head or the way the blood sprayed when Evil Coop killed Hastings' wife. People went insane over Miriam's last name being different on the envelope than in the closing credits.
How many of these have ever been referenced again or turned out to have any significant meaning in the show?
Why, then, is everyone sure that a little oddity in Ed's reflection is The Most Significant Moment in Television History?
Sigh.

Sigh.

Oh my God.

You can bring it up. Just don't attribute your theories that are going to ultimately be wrong with Cosmic Signifcance. Don't use such portentious, pretentious language as "I can't unsee what I've seen!" and "Something significant has happened!" when one episode later, your theories have been squashed.
They are hypotheses, not theories, as a theory by definition has to have a lot of supporting evidence. Of course a lot of these hypotheses will be wrong, is anyone disputing that? I think marchug made a fair rebuttal here that trying to put people down because they are speculating about what all the little aspects of the show could mean is an underhanded tactic. You conveniently forgot to mention Audrey-in-a-coma/dream hypothesis, which was well reasoned after the previous episode, and essentially confirmed in part 13. Sometimes these crazy musings are correct and sometimes they are not. Half the fun is in trying to guess though.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

ScarFace32 wrote:
Electric Tree wrote:I'm staying in the "there's nothing to the final Big Ed scene except a guy who's mulling over his life and losses" group. People are looking for (and apparently finding) something that isnt there.
But how can that reflection be an editing mistake?
How? I don't know. How were the airplane windows and the motel door and the head of the woman who was just shot and the envelope with the wrong and everything else that people keep saying has Cosmic Significance and HAVE NEVER BEEN MENTIONED AGAIN? Were those mistakes, or were those INCREDIBLY SIGNIFICANT EVENTS that are all going to ve revealed in the final five episodes? People are going nuts about a couple of seconds of Ed's reflection when there is zero history in the show that you need to freeze frame to catch significant events. People want to show how incredibly clever they are, but I really don't think Lynch and Frost have any interest in the freeze-frame game.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

"They are hypotheses, not theories, as a theory by definition has to have a lot of supporting evidence. Of course a lot of these hypotheses will be wrong, is anyone disputing that? I think marchug made a fair rebuttal here that trying to put people down because they are speculating about what all the little aspects of the show could mean is an underhanded tactic. You conveniently forgot to mention Audrey-in-a-coma/dream hypothesis, which was well reasoned after the previous episode, and essentially confirmed in part 13. Sometimes these crazy musings are correct and sometimes they are not. Half the fun is in trying to guess though."

I did admit in a previous post that I appear to be wrong about Audrey. After the second incredibly weird scene with her, something is clearly surreal or hyper-real about what we're seeing. I was totally wrong about that one, and would like to let everyone know that.

But that wasn't three seconds of a reflection in a window that people have to freeze-frame to even see that there is kind of maybe sort of a reflection.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Regarding the remaining running time, we have approx. 2 Fire Walk With Mes left to go. Lots could happen!
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

sewhite2000 wrote:"They are hypotheses, not theories, as a theory by definition has to have a lot of supporting evidence. Of course a lot of these hypotheses will be wrong, is anyone disputing that? I think marchug made a fair rebuttal here that trying to put people down because they are speculating about what all the little aspects of the show could mean is an underhanded tactic. You conveniently forgot to mention Audrey-in-a-coma/dream hypothesis, which was well reasoned after the previous episode, and essentially confirmed in part 13. Sometimes these crazy musings are correct and sometimes they are not. Half the fun is in trying to guess though."

I did admit in a previous post that I appear to be wrong about Audrey. After the second incredibly weird scene with her, something is clearly surreal or hyper-real about what we're seeing. I was totally wrong about that one, and would like to let everyone know that.

But that wasn't three seconds of a reflection in a window that people have to freeze-frame to even see that there is kind of maybe sort of a reflection.
There is more to the reflection scene than that though. Of course a mirror reflection being out of sync with a character is a pretty big clue, even if it is brief, but I think it's even more notable that Big Ed notices the anomaly and stares intently:

His facial expression and body language changes distinctly right before the above screen grab.