Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by Audrey Horne »

So if we take the edited reflection as intentional, what are we to infer? Since Lynch is treating this as an eighteen hour film, and in that regards one wouldn't have the ability to stop the film and rewind in his ideal scenario. Is this an Easter egg that Lynch and Frost would point out after the fact to the plot?

Are they suggesting something down the line with Ed, who hasn't had any weight to the story fourteen hours in? Or that it signifies doppelgängers existing in all of us that will be an emerging and end plot point? Or will it be representative of something Engels mentioned years ago about certain time frames coexisting minutes or seconds apart that was touched upon briefly in FWWM between Cooper and Jeffries?

Whatever the trick done with Ed, I fully agree it is not meant to be noticed, but possibly slightly subconsciously registered to encompass the series's themes.

To me, personally, I think it will just amount to a detail people years from now will say, "what was that all about?!"
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

sewhite2000 wrote:Love your assumption that other people are too lazy to do what you suggest. See people, I'm not the only person who's ever been a jerk to other posters on here!

I feel like you're making my point. I'm not a millionaire. I still have a CRT TV and about the cheapest laptop one can buy. Would Lynch really make important plot points in the show visible only to the most affluent of his viewers? The one per cent?
Hi. If you still don't see it I can see why you're so adamant that it doesn't mean anything. Maybe it doesn't. Let's not debate whether it does or doesn't, because it very well may not and it very well may simply be atmospheric, as you said. But on my 65" OLED, once I noticed it, it is very easy to see. It is certainly subtle, no doubt about it, but it also isn't something you need to freeze frame in order to see. The glitch and the resulting unnatural movement is very noticeable once you know where to look. From memory, the reflection lasts for at least 5 seconds. I'm just pointing this out because I don't think you're doing your side of the argument any favors by acting like the only way to find the reflection is by freeze framing. That's simply not true. It's subtle but it's not THAT subtle.

For what it's worth, Lynch did say he built it for the big screen. This doesn't mean that the reflection is a key to the plot or anything, but maybe Lynch wasn't thinking of what kinds of TVs people would be watching on. A lot of people also couldn't see BOB coming out of Cooper's stomach in Part 8. Alan Sepinwall said that Lynch should have tested his footage on a shitty TV so he could make sure everybody could see what he was putting on screen. Personally, I think that's hogwash. I'm glad that the darks are as black as they are, even if they're too dark for certain TVs because that's true to Lynch's aesthetic, no compromises.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

cgs027 wrote:
Elric99 wrote:It's easier to see the glitchyness of it in this animated and brightened gif. Ignore the blocky compression artifacts and see how Ed's reflection abruptly jumps between different postures.

And I STILL barely see that, looks like a tiny editing glitch to me (and not one that they thought people would go crazy over).
Don't forget, Ed's back is also in the shot. So we see Ed from behind AND his reflection doing something different within the same shot. That's why it doesn't appear to just be a simple editing glitch.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

sewhite2000 wrote:
Yeah, the way you said "Probably not" was pretty aggressive.

Well, I'm not only not in the One Per Cent, but I'm computer stupid, I guess, because I don't know what that means (flipping between locally stored images, that is). Even I did, I don't think I could see what you want me to see because of the limitations of the technology I own.
I am sorry if I came across as aggressive, it was not my intention.

Can you store images on your computer and save them with consecutive file names? (i.e. image1.jpg, image2.jpg)

Then you can open the first image with the default Windows program and use left/right arrow keys to switch between the two images. This illustrates the "glitch", but it's not the only unnatural movement. The scene lasts for a few seconds, which the screen caps obviously cannot convey.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

"Alan Sepinwall said that Lynch should have tested his footage on a shitty TV so he could make sure everybody could see what he was putting on screen."

I actually find this very interesting, as there have been multiple things I have missed until after the fact (Bob being ritualized out of the stomach being a major one), even after watching on 2 different television sets (one HD and one OLD SCHOOL).

If you had a source article on that, I'd love to read it (was it wrt to TP S3?).
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Really, I seriously appreciate your efforts to try to make me see this thing. I may try this stuff you suggest, though I"m pretty ignorant when it comes to using computers other than Web-surfing. I am accepting that what you say is true. Completely accepting that. Not arguing it. Not disputing it. I don't really need to see it for myself to believe that it's there, though I may try.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

cgs027 wrote:"Alan Sepinwall said that Lynch should have tested his footage on a shitty TV so he could make sure everybody could see what he was putting on screen."

I actually find this very interesting, as there have been multiple things I have missed until after the fact (Bob being ritualized out of the stomach being a major one), even after watching on 2 different television sets (one HD and one OLD SCHOOL).

If you had a source article on that, I'd love to read it (was it wrt to TP S3?).
I did see BOB (temporarily?) removed from Cooper, even with my crappy technology, but I think almost by accident and at the very last second he was still on screen. I wasn't focused on him at all with the Woodsmen running around doing crazy shit and Evil Coop's blood-smeared body distracting me. I remember a number of people posted on here that they didn't see it, however.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

cgs027 wrote:"Alan Sepinwall said that Lynch should have tested his footage on a shitty TV so he could make sure everybody could see what he was putting on screen."

It was in one of the Uproxx episode reviews. I'm pretty sure it was in the Part 8 review, since they were talking about BOB being removed from Cooper.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

sewhite2000 wrote:

I did see BOB (temporarily?) removed from Cooper, even with my crappy technology, but I think almost by accident and at the very last second he was still on screen. I wasn't focused on him at all with the Woodsmen running around doing crazy shit and Evil Coop's blood-smeared body distracting me. I remember a number of people posted on here that they didn't see it, however.
Yep, there was so much insanity in that scene that my wife actually first noticed it (on 2nd or 3rd viewing) and I STILL couldn't friggin see it! I finally found a screenshot and lo and behold! Still very curious if (and how) that will play out (Bob, that is).

I do think that with Lost Highway he began playing with sheer black as a colour palate. I think it's cool as hell, but definitely hard to read at times...
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

LateReg wrote:

It was in one of the Uproxx episode reviews. I'm pretty sure it was in the Part 8 review, since they were talking about BOB being removed from Cooper.
Awesome, thanks, will track down.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Audrey Horne wrote:So if we take the edited reflection as intentional, what are we to infer? Since Lynch is treating this as an eighteen hour film, and in that regards one wouldn't have the ability to stop the film and rewind in his ideal scenario. Is this an Easter egg that Lynch and Frost would point out after the fact to the plot?

Are they suggesting something down the line with Ed, who hasn't had any weight to the story fourteen hours in? Or that it signifies doppelgängers existing in all of us that will be an emerging and end plot point? Or will it be representative of something Engels mentioned years ago about certain time frames coexisting minutes or seconds apart that was touched upon briefly in FWWM between Cooper and Jeffries?

Whatever the trick done with Ed, I fully agree it is not meant to be noticed, but possibly slightly subconsciously registered to encompass the series's themes.

To me, personally, I think it will just amount to a detail people years from now will say, "what was that all about?!"
I think that it's part of a broader effort to show that supernatural events are encroaching upon Twin Peaks. Ed is about the most down-to-earth, rational guy you can find, so if he's experiencing temporal anomalies, it means that things are in really bad shape.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

I think that it's part of a broader effort to show that supernatural events are encroaching upon Twin Peaks. Ed is about the most down-to-earth, rational guy you can find, so if he's experiencing temporal anomalies, it means that things are in really bad shape.
again, this ^ is the point for me. It does not matter whether the glitch is deliberate or not: what matters is that Twin Peaks is made as a show which ALLOWS details and ambiguities like this to be resonant - whether or not the film-makers themselves intended it. Even if it is a mistake it fits the pattern of what you call ' temporal anomalies' - once the expectation that time is being fucked with ( '' time and time again ''. repetitions. jerky swapped-round editing. etc) in ep 1-3, it encourages the viewer to be ALERT and on the look out for this kind of thing - again, a point that several people here have made, that Lynch edits and sets up patterns and themes so that we watch with a particular kind of ATTENTION.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Elric99 wrote:It's easier to see the glitchyness of it in this animated and brightened gif. Ignore the blocky compression artifacts and see how Ed's reflection abruptly jumps between different postures.

Seeing it like this has me more convinced that what we're seeing is a way for Lynch to pace the cars going by at the precise time he wants them. It's probably s nessesary editing mistake that's hard to get around and so he found a way to make it work. Perhaps this scene was a catalyst for creating other, more intentional glitches.
Walterodim

Post by Walterodim »

BigEd wrote:
Walterodim wrote:Oh my. The Big Ed reflection is a real thing :) Just watched the video on Reddit.
First time I watched it I didn't even noticed a reflection., but it definitely is there and pretty disturbing.
Can you post a link? I went to Reddit and couldn't easily locate it in the subredit topics. I didn't dig too deep because a) I didn't want to encounter part 14 spoilers and b) it's reddit and it historically has provided much more irritation than entertainment. Thanks! 8)
Here is the link to reddit
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Hopefully this makes things visible enough and in the context of the whole frame: