Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

Esselgee
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Esselgee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle MacLachlan ends up playing Phillip Jeffries. Maybe when Jeffries walked by the video remnant of Cooper, it actually entered Jeffries causing him to become another version of Cooper somewhere down the line. Maybe the Jeffries of the past is actually the Cooper of the future.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:30 am

writersblock wrote:David Lynch said this of watching the new season: If people at home had as big a screen as possible, and great sound, and if they did turn the lights down for the things they see, and make it a safe place, a good place to see it, that would be really beautiful.’


IMO, this is more about him wanting viewers to immerse themselves fully in the world of his film without distractions (something he has been vocal about for many years), rather than a scrutinizing for clues.

Novalis wrote:Also, as writersblock says, since Lynch thought to include an insert with my copy of MD asking me to pay attention to such seemingly innocuous details as table lamps, the argument over ignoring details and trying to followg authorial intentionality really makes little sense at all.


He says in the Rodley book that the French distributor pressured him into writing those clues, and then they ended up in the DVD as well. I forget the exact words he used -- I wish I had the book in front of me -- but the sense I got is that he found the idea of giving such clues reductive. I'll come back and add the exact quote when I'm home.

Also keep in mind that this is the man who for years refused to have chapter breaks on his films because he wanted them to be experienced straight through. I'm not saying there aren't subtleties and hidden things here and there (personally, I believe the reflection glitch is totally intentional and also completely inconsequential to the narrative), but I'm pretty sure DKL isn't playing to freeze frame culture.
KyleRickards
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby KyleRickards » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:re-watching last night

it seems like Charlie says "Enter Story 2"

sorry haven't read the posts lately - apologize if stated earlier.

but since she goes on about Little Girl Down the Lane, I believe that it's clearly a NEW storyline Charlie is going to take her down.

And it seems Audrey doesn't want to go there.

"end your story too" - doesn't make sense cause who else's story is he ending?


I'm convinced he says Story 2 although admittedly I have not rewatched it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
Novalis
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Novalis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:He says in the Rodley book that the French distributor pressured him into writing those clues, and then they ended up in the DVD as well. I forget the exact words he used -- I wish I had the book in front of me -- but the sense I got is that he found the idea of giving such clues reductive. I'll come back and add the exact quote when I'm home.


I can see how they might appear too directive. Thanks for this information.

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Also keep in mind that this is the man who for years refused to have chapter breaks on his films because he wanted them to be experienced straight through. I'm not saying there aren't subtleties and hidden things here and there (personally, I believe the reflection glitch is totally intentional and also completely inconsequential to the narrative), but I'm pretty sure DKL isn't playing to freeze frame culture.


Fully agree. However, for me the discontinuity in reflection was noticed not by replicating what someone had posted on some scrutinizing subreddit, but in situ, while watching early Monday morning. Naturally I assumed it was a connection jump, lost packet or something like that (watching in the UK on a web-based streaming service called NowTV), so I didn't at the time review it. As you say, it may be entirely inconsequential. It's not in my nature to analyse film frame-by-frame, as I'm by far more interested in movement. I also tend to ignore all the plane-windows-code and filled-in-letters in the post-episode production title posts, not because I think the people who post them are over-analysing, but because I see them enjoying themselves. But to be honest I don't think this glitch is of that nature, since I caught it in the act, and those things I never do (I remember being useless at watching Fringe when people were talking about its codes). So I think its unfair to say I'm involved in all that just because I post one thing about this reflection.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
misterroundheels
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby misterroundheels » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 am

Did anyone notice anything odd about Audrey's reflection? I thought something was off on my first viewing, before knowing about Ed's reflection. It immediately caught my eye. I thought maybe they used a stand-in for her reverse-shot, until I saw the thing about Ed's reflection. Now it seems like it could be deliberate. Either that, or it's a stand-in, or the glass is just weird and bumpy.
Manwith
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Manwith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am

yaxomoxay wrote:I am not an expert but wouldn't the guy in charge of adding the reflection look at the normal footage first, then add the effect, then re watch the results at least once? It feels like a big editing mistake if it's a mistake


I didn't notice it at all so I don't know how big a mistake it is. We've had other editing glitches in the show people thought meant something but they didn't. (Candy's first appearance combined footage shot at different times. People thought she was a lodge creature who was invisible, but it was just an editing glitch since the footage they were working with was imperfect).

Also, who's to say Lynch didn't notice the mistake, liked how it looked, so left it in there? There doesn't have to be a *story* reason for it.
Rhodes
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Rhodes » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

Was it already mentioned that Jack Rabbit's is the place of John Travolta and Uma Thurman's date in Pulp Fiction?
User avatar
asmahan
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby asmahan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am

Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.
User avatar
referendum
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby referendum » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am

there are 3 possibilities re this reflected image of big ed:
1) that it was deliberately put there in editing as a deliberate ' time glitch' like the RR diner credits glitch.
2) It is an accidental by product of digital editing that Lynch liked and left in.
3) it is an accident that no-one noticed - the occasional errors in this programme are a by-product of it not being made by robots.

Either way, it fits in with all the doubling and the repetitions and the people seen in mirrors, and the overall visual language and textures of TP:TR.
Personally I am not really bothered why it is there: what I like is that TP is the sort of programme where you don't know whether a tech glitch is a mistake or not.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Snailhead
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Snailhead » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Only thing I'll say about the glitch - whether or not it was intentional, I don't think it's significant. I fail to see him 'react' to it.
LateReg
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am

Snailhead wrote:Only thing I'll say about the glitch - whether or not it was intentional, I don't think it's significant. I fail to see him 'react' to it.


I don't necessarily see him react, either. But I don't think that makes it less significant. We'll see if anything comes of it!
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 am

Manwith wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:I am not an expert but wouldn't the guy in charge of adding the reflection look at the normal footage first, then add the effect, then re watch the results at least once? It feels like a big editing mistake if it's a mistake


I didn't notice it at all so I don't know how big a mistake it is. We've had other editing glitches in the show people thought meant something but they didn't. (Candy's first appearance combined footage shot at different times. People thought she was a lodge creature who was invisible, but it was just an editing glitch since the footage they were working with was imperfect).

Also, who's to say Lynch didn't notice the mistake, liked how it looked, so left it in there? There doesn't have to be a *story* reason for it.


I am not saying that it's important per se. That is, I don't believe that these things are important to understand the plot better.
I think that it's at most a "present" to those who pay attention to each and every image and like to analyze stuff. They're are, in other words, subtle clues with little overall meaning but that at the same time could help have a slightly better view of the events.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthoto1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby anthoto1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am

The glitch is deliberate and Big Ed definitely notices it.
User avatar
ScarFace32
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby ScarFace32 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 am

asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.


What does Ray say about the Dutchman's again?
User avatar
Pinky
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:21 am

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Postby Pinky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:34 am

ScarFace32 wrote:
asmahan wrote:Any theories on what the Dutchman's could be? My first thought was the hotel in Buenos Aires, but I doubt it.


What does Ray say about the Dutchman's again?



he says 'but it's not a real place'

Return to “Parts Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests