Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by vicksvapor77 »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Back in episode 3, they zoomed in on "American Girl's' watch and it said 2:53 after Naido fell and Cooper went through the electrical socket. So does that mean this scene takes place directly after the woman falls?
Well, time isn't really supposed to exist in the otherworldly locales, right? And would that mean Cooper went back in time somehow when he landed in Vegas? That would be the only way to explain it.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

gary2381 wrote:I assume that that is Judy. She is making sounds similar to a monkey.
Interesting... I didn't even think of the monkey! And the monkey said Judy too in FWWM. My first thought was the noises sounded like Jumping Man's noises from the missing pieces when they zoomed in on his face.
n00bj0b

Post by n00bj0b »

Just to let you know why I asked for the image. Doing a little comparison. Thanks again for the screenshot.

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i can't be the only one that thought this was the worst episode of the series so far? there was quite a lot of stuff that really got on my nerves as far as the storytelling goes.

i did find it intriguing that Janey-E is Diane's estranged cousin and that the FBI is on to Dougie now, and i almost jumped with Joy when Gordon called up the Twin Peaks office and spoke with Lucy. but Truman saying to Gordon Cole (a man he has never talked with before and who has no idea about the Blue Rose, Doppelgangers, etc.) "we got indiciations of Two Cooper's", pause, nothing more, like thats an everyday occurence that is neither very suprising or needing more explanation from either of them. like seriously, wtf?! that's bad writing to me...

the Green Glove story was ridiciolous on all levels to me. i'm fearing this guy will then turn out to be important to the story which is dissapointing to say the least. super powers through his green glove like a comic book character, smh. what it really did imo was take away much of the mystery surrounding The Zone, the lodges and these portals when a regular joe in London can be sucked up through the vortex on his way home from the bar. this is a Lodge version of Little Nicky type storytelling if you ask me.

the Sarah Palmer scenes in episode 2, 12 and 13 where mysterious, full of dread, sorrow and ambiguity.. all that was quickly thrown out the window with bad effects and a monster movie type of slashing. had that effect where she lifted off her face to show the black smoke, etc., instead been placed within the lodges or within a dream i could certainly get behind it because i like how it mirrors the light of Laura. making it happen in such a literal place/way took away much from the effect of that revelation.

was hoping for a new Angelo Badalamenti piece tonight but oh well, i'm not in the habit of criticising what is not in the episode, but rather criticize it (good or bad) on what is actually presented to us.

so what did i like?

the dream sequence was quite beautiful, especially when it segued into the FWWM footage. seen as a whole it will make the scene even more poignant everytime i watch FWWM from now on.. the sound design and the black and white photography was spot on. except for the way Truman presented the two Cooper theory to Cole I thought the Buckhorn scenes were pretty strong this week. i'm really, really curious about the connection between Diane, Dougie, Janey-E and Mister C now and how that will unfold.

the Jack Rabbit palace scene was strong, great and atmospheric to see our guys on a stroll through these majestic and mysterious woods Twin Peaks style :) i bolted right up when they found Naidoo there.. i wonder if she has a connection to Laura Palmer's spirit? if you notice what Andy sees in the White Lodge we see a shot of Laura Palmer with angel trumpets on both sides immediatly followed by the shot of Naidoo in the woods. it was great how Andy came back all level headed and focused after he came back to the woods. the aforementioned scene will require a lot of rewatches and analysis, there's a lot of information to be found there..

after the ridiciolous Green Glove story I really liked the scene with James walking down the basement or whatever that was.. striking scene with a lot of atmosphere. i liked the bizarre scene with Chad, Naidoo and the other guy hahah wtf
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

blackcoffeemoonlight wrote:Can anyone forecast Diane's angle in all of this - her motivations for good or evil and where we are headed with her storyline?

Very unpredictable at this juncture.
I keep wondering if maybe Mr. C is somehow blackmailing her. Could it even be that he's been threatening to have Janey-E killed? She didn't *seem* to be dissembling when she realized the connection, but she's obviously been putting on an act some of the time anyway.

I wish I understood why Gordon and Albert keep letting her in on so much confidential information, now that they know she's compromised. The only thing I can think of is that they're hoping she will lead them to Mr. C or that whatever she says might still significant even if it might be a lie.
QuantumMechanic

Post by QuantumMechanic »

Speaking of camera movement, did anyone else notice the digital stutter when Hawk, Bobby, Andy, amnd Truman when they were approaching the vortex locale, or was that just my stream messing up?
Nothing to do with streams. I was watching it on cable TV and saw the same thing.
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
Kinbote

Post by Kinbote »

n00bj0b wrote:Just to let you know why I asked for the image. Doing a little comparison. Thanks again for the screenshot.

I think The Fireman is on the side of good. He puts out the fire.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

n00bj0b wrote:Just to let you know why I asked for the image. Doing a little comparison. Thanks again for the screenshot.
.....ooooor
Attachments
Twin-Peaks-Live-long-and-prosper.jpg
Twin-Peaks-Live-long-and-prosper.jpg (325.13 KiB) Viewed 9313 times
n00bj0b

Post by n00bj0b »

Kinbote wrote:

I think The Fireman is on the side of good. He puts out the fire.
I agree! Tho wouldn't be surprised to have it all backwards....
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Esselgee wrote:So now that we have someone else talking about Billy and Tina can we rule out Audrey being in a coma? I think it probably also rules out her being in a mental hospital also.

So I guess James ended up being the one who works for Ben and not Bobby.
After being absolutely sure Audrey was NOT in a coma after her first scene and absolutely sure she WAS in a coma after her second scene, I have no idea WHAT to think after what I'll call the "third Audrey scene" (even though Audrey wasn't in it).

Okay, so the girls referenced Billy and Tina as being real people, which lends some credence that Audrey must be out and about in the real world to have interacted with them. Also, we apparently meet Billy in jail, and he's bleeding from the mouth and nose just like Audrey dreamed.

BUT so far no one in the real world has still actually referenced Audrey. When the one girl asked the other what the name of her mother who had been having an affair with Billy until recently (just like Audrey said she was) was, and there was a long pause, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for her to say "Audrey", so I could say well that proves she's NOT in a coma! But she said "Tina".

More than one person has theorized that Audrey is either conscious but institutionalized or comatose and institutionalized, and the names of these people she thinks she knows and keeps referencing may just be name's she's heard people in the institution say. And the one girl apparently spends too much time "getting high in the nut house", which could mean she's one of the employees
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Left hand
woodsman_hand.png
woodsman_hand.png (465.08 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
Kinbote

Post by Kinbote »

docLEXfisti wrote:
.....ooooor
spocks.jpg
spocks.jpg (121.46 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
DoppelSpock? I think you're on to something.
n00bj0b

Post by n00bj0b »

docLEXfisti wrote:
.....ooooor
oh snappy!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Deep Thought wrote:
Jasper wrote:
blackcoffeemoonlight wrote:Why did that FBI guy in Vegas have a meltdown or go into a roid rage?
Because that's who he is, and because it was unexpected and hilarious. I loved it. What would have been a forgettable scene became a mini classic.
Also another instance of a failure of communication. The agent was too afraid of Cole to ask any questions, and Cole neglected to mention Janie E.
haha that's right, i forgot about that, i loved that short scene.. it really reminded me of the scene in Eraserhead - "COUNTER PAUL!!!!"
n00bj0b

Post by n00bj0b »

Jasper wrote:Left hand

woodsman_hand.png
YES!! Thats da devil mofo right thurrrrr......mafyuqqin Jürgen Prochnow!!!