Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Loved it. Much has already been said. I had seen the spoilers beforehand, and wish I hadn't now. Massive thank you to Stan in Australia, who made the Part available an hour earlier. :)

All the original cast members blew it out of the park this week. The whole scene in the woods was amazing. Lucy with Gordon, and Bora Bora, LOL. So Lucy is frightened of cell phones, but isn't phased at all by a women with sewn up eyes? ;) Where has that Andy been all this time, great to see him have some meatier scenes.

I was getting a little over Gordon and his hearing aids, until the window washer came along. that was funny.

Diane, I still don't understand her, and, sorry, but I don't like her. Wasn't she going to talk to Gordon and tell him what happened that night with Cooper, and, she now says that she won't talk about it? Diane also hasn't seen Janey E for "years", ok, but she still doesn't know what her brother in law looks like?

God help the FBI if they are relying on those Agents in Los Vegas. We may need another series to actually find Dougie. :)

Intrigued by the noises at the Great Northern, what is down there?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

docLEXfisti wrote:That's funny. Together with The Chromatics and Au Revoir Simone this song by Lissie was my favorite so far.
Looks like we have very similar taste for music Image
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Buenos Aires wrote:I read all the posts up to this point. Some earlier posts mention the apparent ring finger inside Sarah Palmer's face. I was sure it was a middle finger, as in her giving the finger to the trucker with a big smile... But I may be wrong, I'll have to re-watch it later this week.

Also, the jail scene was AMAZEBALLS!!
It was the same finger Gordon pointed out to Tammy when he said 'it's yrev very good to see you again old friend.' I think he called it the spiritual mound? I'd have to go back and watch it.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Riveting episode. VERY intrigued by how it looks like Andy now has all of the facts about Bob, Cooper and Laura downloaded into his brain.

Jackrabbit's Palace looks like a tree that's been struck by lightning. Could be related to the constant electrical weirdness here.

The window washer scene was both funny and unsettling in classic Lynch fashion.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to post a screen grab of the end credits. Specifically I need an image of David Bowie's credit, but also with Tammy and Monica in it. All three names are next to each other. Would be very grateful.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

That was an awesome episode. I've not read through the 19 pages of comments yet but just wanted to comment to say that the dropping in of a London accent was particularly bizarre for me. Twin Peaks has always been like a piece of escapist Americana for me, so it suddenly felt like I'd been wrenched into a British sitcom, where a man inherits superpowers through the possession of a magic glove. I really enjoyed the scene, but Freddie's account of his own White Lodge experience felt almost like a parody, as if someone had watched Andy's experience of the White Lodge and was taking the piss somewhat (much like the IT Crowd parodying The Matrix, or Father Ted parodying Speed). Just a bit of a disconnect, and almost certainly because it's my 'home accent', but I loved the scene.

Anyhow, I'll get to reading through other comments and seeing if I've got anything more constructive to offer. :-)
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Just thought of another connection between Naido and Laura: the leaning in to whisper something the audience can't hear into a character's ear. There must be something to this.

Also re: Diane: it seems lots of people are having a very hard time opening up to the possibility that this Diane is evil, though maybe I'm being unfair. I would be very surprised if Doppelcoop was blackmailing her or even if she was playing both sides, because she has only ever seemed to obstruct the path of the good guys. Her answers to Gordon and Albert seemed very cagey and I don't trust her one bit. What is really in question for me is the motives of Janey E as she has never seemed like an entirely 'real' person to me; and this all seems like it's been set up for a purpose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

So the case Albert mentions as the first Blue Rose case...has anyone heard a similar story before? I was having some hardcore dejavu there. It definitely wasn't in Secret History, but it was a scenario I am sure I have encountered before. The person killing their double and all that.
Drammatubero

Post by Drammatubero »

Great episode. I laughed my ass off when I've understand that Monica Bellucci was going to starred as herself. "I had another Monica Bellucci dream" lol
Glad to see Bowie, even if it was old footage.

Who's the dreamer? I think this question is very important.

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

I have tons of scattered thoughts. Part 14 was phenomenal! Just going to mention a couple of things to start with as I process the whole:

- Interesting that Part 14 actually could have totally followed Part 12. I can see how those who saw this by mistake last week didn't immediately notice anything amiss. Think about it--there is nothing from Part 13 directly followed-up on in Part 14. Not one thread. The two sections are almost parallel follow-ups to different aspects of Parts 11-12. Interesting.

- I think if someone ever demanded that I sum up Lynch's sense of humor in less than 30 seconds, I would have to show them the ninja-window-washer scene. That is quintessential Lynchian humor at it's best. Absolutely bonkers-brilliant. I was dying.

- The Las Vegas FBI field office is also a candidate. Just stellar nonsense. Love the idea that there are teems of FBI underlings just terrified of Cole.

- People keep asking about why people are forgetting things (both blanking on highly significant things that have happened in the past, and neglecting to relay key details when they seem obviously relevant--Truman not mentioning Briggs to Cole, Cole not mentioning Janey-E to the Vegas FBI), but it's right there in the text. We're dealing with dream-logic here, folks. That's how it works! Stop trying to use rationality to analyze a giant dream, and I think you'll find things will fall right into place. I loved the whole bit in the Roadhouse about not being sure about whther her uncle was there! It just felt...right!

- Sarah is haunted. Deeply haunted. She carries the darkness of that house with her. In a story, more than anything else, about people who are stuck, I think Sarah is the most tragically stuck of all.

- My current thoughts on Diane: I don't think she's communicating with COOPER at all, at least not knowingly. I think the "dinner table" text was relayed to her via a third party. I think her reaction in the prison to COOPER was genuine and what Cole sensed in the hug was that she was hiding something significant, not that everything she said was a lie. I think the scene between COOPER and Ray in Part 13 is good evidence that Diane is not his stooge, because she has those coordinates and he doesn't know them until he gets them from Ray. Clearly, she knows more than she's telling the FBI, but my guess is she has good reasons. I also think her reaction to learning about her half-sister's connection was genuine--even if she may have been putting some pieces together that she didn't reveal. I don't know who she is communicating with (maybe it is Jefferies--maybe somebody we still don't know about), but I think she has Coop's best interests at heart. She's a fascinating character for sure and I love what Dern is doing with her.
Last edited by counterpaul on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:That was an awesome episode. I've not read through the 19 pages of comments yet but just wanted to comment to say that the dropping in of a London accent was particularly bizarre for me. Twin Peaks has always been like a piece of escapist Americana for me, so it suddenly felt like I'd been wrenched into a British sitcom, where a man inherits superpowers through the possession of a magic glove. I really enjoyed the scene, but Freddie's account of his own White Lodge experience felt almost like a parody, as if someone had watched Andy's experience of the White Lodge and was taking the piss somewhat (much like the IT Crowd parodying The Matrix, or Father Ted parodying Speed). Just a bit of a disconnect, and almost certainly because it's my 'home accent', but I loved the scene.

Anyhow, I'll get to reading through other comments and seeing if I've got anything more constructive to offer. :-)
I liked what someone on reddit said about how it was the clearest explanation of the White Lodge we've heard. but it was made confusing to follow by Freddie's accent and the slang he was using. I was kinda bothered by how stereotypical he was at first, but that made more sense.
Last edited by nonemoreblack on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Naido at 10/1. Who will be in 10/2? Laura? Ronette?... Or maybe the good Cooper?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

The vision of Lucy is the only information in Andy's visions we hadn't seen before, so I assume it's either something that hasn't happened yet or that is so personal to Andy and Lucy, we don't know about it. It has the feel of Lucy being brought in to identify a body. At first I thought it was Andy's! That he would never emerge from his White Rock trip. But now I guess it's someone else's boy. Any thoughts?
Moggerz

Post by Moggerz »

Mallard wrote:
Hurley wrote:
zmccain wrote:
I noticed it as well.
Me too. The camera movement was similar as well.
Speaking of camera movement, did anyone else notice the digital stutter when Hawk, Bobby, Andy, amnd Truman when they were approaching the vortex locale, or was that just my stream messing up?
It was very clear on second viewing. Seems like there's a smudge/magnetic field on a couple of frames, only "around" Bobby.

Think there's also something weird (in 1 frame) during the conversation between the 2 women at the Roadhouse.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

counterpaul wrote:
" I think her reaction in the prison to COOPER was genuine and what Cole sensed in the hug was that she was hiding something significant, not that everything she said was a lie."

I'm just grabbing out that one sentence since it seems to be in direct response to something I posted. I didn't say everything Diane said was a lie. I'm only taking issue with the one thing she said about this Cooper being fundamentally different from the Cooper she knew because he was "missing something inside", which I did call "lying". Maybe I could have chosen a different word, but what I meant was Diane's acting as if this version of Cooper was a shock to her and something she'd never encountered before was disingenuous. I actually agree with you that this is what Gordon sensed - that she is hiding exactly what her association with Evil Cooper is and how extensive it is.