Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by homieonice »

Powerhouse Episode!!

Jail scene went beyond the beyond!
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Did Frank pick up the correct sandwich?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

SamGGD wrote:Significance of Bowie's line to Cooper? It's definitely Coop in that FWWM scene. Was Jeffries jumping through time?
Yes.

The common interpretation of that scene from Fire Walk With Me was that Agent Jeffries had been to the Lodge, and thus travelled beyond time and space as we understand it...so he had opportunity to know Cooper had a Doppelganger before any of that actually happened in our heroes' timeline.

Until now, this was only our best logical explanation for a mysterious line of dialogue -- but David and Mark have confirmed it's right.
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

KyleRickards wrote:
counterpaul wrote:I have tons of scattered thoughts. Part 14 was phenomenal! Just going to mention a couple of things to start with as I process the whole:

- Interesting that Part 14 actually could have totally followed Part 12. I can see how those who saw this by mistake last week didn't immediately notice anything amiss. Think about it--there is nothing from Part 13 directly followed-up on in Part 14. Not one thread. The two sections are almost parallel follow-ups to different aspects of Parts 11-12. Interesting.

- I think if someone ever demanded that I sum up Lynch's sense of humor in less than 30 seconds, I would have to show them the ninja-window-washer scene. That is quintessential Lynchian humor at it's best. Absolutely bonkers-brilliant. I was dying.

- The Las Vegas FBI field office is also a candidate. Just stellar nonsense. Love the idea that there are teems of FBI underlings just terrified of Cole.

- People keep asking about why people are forgetting things (both blanking on highly significant things that have happened in the past, and neglecting to relay key details when they seem obviously relevant--Truman not mentioning Briggs to Cole, Cole not mentioning Janey-E to the Vegas FBI), but it's right there in the text. We're dealing with dream-logic here, folks. That's how it works! Stop trying to use rationality to analyze a giant dream, and I think you'll find things will fall right into place. I loved the whole bit in the Roadhouse about not being sure about whther her uncle was there! It just felt...right!

- Sarah is haunted. Deeply haunted. She carries the darkness of that house with her. In a story, more than anything else, about people who are stuck, I think Sarah is the most tragically stuck of all.

- My current thoughts on Diane: I don't think she's communicating with COOPER at all, at least not knowingly. I think the "dinner table" text was relayed to her via a third party. I think her reaction in the prison to COOPER was genuine and what Cole sensed in the hug was that she was hiding something significant, not that everything she said was a lie. I think the scene between COOPER and Ray in Part 13 is good evidence that Diane is not his stooge, because she has those coordinates and he doesn't know them until he gets them from Ray. Clearly, she knows more than she's telling the FBI, but my guess is she has good reasons. I also think her reaction to learning about her half-sister's connection was genuine--even if she may have been putting some pieces together that she didn't reveal. I don't know who she is communicating with (maybe it is Jefferies--maybe somebody we still don't know about), but I think she has Coop's best interests at heart. She's a fascinating character for sure and I love what Dern is doing with her.
Maybe Janey-E is texting Diane back and forth...

"The conversation around the dinner table is lively" (rough quote)

Maybe that was just Janey-E being sarcastic because dougie talks jackshit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

firefly2193 wrote:Loved the episode, aesthetically brilliant throughout. The roadhouse scene with that music had me somehow incredibly tense.

I hope the final four parts are as good as this one.

I also hope that the wherever the story goes, and I have literally no idea (which is ridiculous/great at this point) doesn't do any sort of dis-service to the Laura Palmer story at the heart of Twin Peaks original. I don't think Lynch would do that. But occasionally TPTR feels a bit like a fanfic tacked onto Twin Peaks without a real thematic build on the story that came before it. I hope this doesn't remain the case, but at the very least I hope the purity of the Laura Palmer tragedy remains in tact (unless meaningfully enhanced and developed upon).
This^^^^^^^^^ 1,000x over...
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

Troubbble wrote:
SamGGD wrote:Significance of Bowie's line to Cooper? It's definitely Coop in that FWWM scene. Was Jeffries jumping through time?
Yes.

The common interpretation of that scene from Fire Walk With Me was that Agent Jeffries had been to the Lodge, and thus travelled beyond time and space as we understand it...so he had opportunity to know Cooper had a Doppelganger before any of that actually happened in our heroes' timeline.

Until now, this was only our best logical explanation for a mysterious line of dialogue -- but David and Mark have confirmed it's right.

Awesome
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

I've just rewatched the episode. David Bowies accent is slightly different than the version in FWWM/Missing pieces. It sounds less Americanised so I wonder whether he re-recorded his dialogue to get more of a twang to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

What happened to the Giant's height?He seems to be very short
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

beyondthesea wrote:I wonder if someone would be kind enough to post a screen grab of the end credits. Specifically I need an image of David Bowie's credit, but also with Tammy and Monica in it. All three names are next to each other. Would be very grateful.
Here's are a couple screencaps in 1080p if you still need it.

Image Image
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
justvisiting

Post by justvisiting »

Sarah Palmer biting a man's neck off, to me, felt like the least "lynchian" thing Lynch has ever filmed. I wonder who that idea originated with.
Can't explain what I mean but that whole scene felt explicit in a way that Lynch rarely seems to go for, anyone else?
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

KyleRickards wrote:I've just rewatched the episode. David Bowies accent is slightly different than the version in FWWM/Missing pieces. It sounds less Americanised so I wonder whether he re-recorded his dialogue to get more of a twang to it?
I don't think it was re-recorded, just an alternate take from the original shoot. See the Missing Pieces scene here: https://youtu.be/rHl_8WK8w3Y?t=31s

Compare it to how it was originally in the film: https://youtu.be/3nSqDMqCJQw?t=1m32s
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

thunderclap82 wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:I've just rewatched the episode. David Bowies accent is slightly different than the version in FWWM/Missing pieces. It sounds less Americanised so I wonder whether he re-recorded his dialogue to get more of a twang to it?
I don't think it was re-recorded, just an alternate take from the original shoot. See the Missing Pieces scene here: https://youtu.be/rHl_8WK8w3Y?t=31s

Compare it to how it was originally in the film: https://youtu.be/3nSqDMqCJQw?t=1m32s
The recording of Jeffries' line in Part 14 was neither the one from FWWM nor the Missing Pieces. It sounded like a different voice, was it even Bowie?
Last edited by Dreamy Audrey on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Jerry Horne wrote:
sycamore wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Did Andy see a flashback of himself and Lucy in a hospital?
Or a flash-forward? This being the only scene from his vision that we (the viewers) haven't seen yet.
Possibly. It seemed like Lucy was white as a sheet, so I'm wondering if it's tied into her condition or even into Wally etc.
Sorry if this has already been said, but I was wondering if Andy was leading a shocked Lucy to a newly returned Coop in the lobby after 25 years.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Ragnell wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:Any ideas as to why Frank would tell Cole about the missing pages and their reference to Cooper, but NOT the info about Jack Rabbit's Palace, given its major connections to Cooper and Briggs?
At first that's what I thought he was going to say - seemed weird to me too that he only mentioned the diary. Maybe he didn't want to get the Feds involved until after they had gone there, but why call Cole at all? Maybe he just wanted to gauge Cole's knowledge about the two Coops.
I think Frank didn't want to sound crazy and didn't expect to be believed. He's never met Cole or Cooper so he probably doesn't realize how open-minded this part of the FBI is. In fact, he seemed a little puzzled that Cole accepted that much so easily.
I also thought Frank's revelation of info to Gordon was oddly brief, but I like this explanation.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

From the wikipedia article on "Tulpas":

"Belgian-French explorer, spiritualist, and Buddhist Alexandra David-Néel claimed to have observed these mystical practices in 20th century Tibet. She reported tulpas are "magic formations generated by a powerful concentration of thought." David-Néel wrote that "an accomplished Bodhisattva is capable of effecting ten kinds of magic creations. The power of producing magic formations, tulkus or less lasting and materialized tulpas, does not, however, belong exclusively to such mystic exalted beings. Any human, divine or demoniac being may be possessed of it. The only difference comes from the degree of power, and this depends on the strength of the concentration and the quality of the mind itself."

David-Néel wrote of the tulpa's ability to develop a mind of its own: "Once the tulpa is endowed with enough vitality to be capable of playing the part of a real being, it tends to free itself from its maker's control. This, say Tibetan occultists, happens nearly mechanically, just as the child, when his body is completed and able to live apart, leaves its mother's womb." David-Néel claimed to have created a tulpa in the image of a jolly Friar Tuck-like monk which later developed a life of its own and had to be destroyed. David-Néel raised the possibility that her experience was illusory: "I may have created my own hallucination", though she reports that others could see the thoughtforms that have been created.

As I read this, my thoughts quickly turned to the Doppelganger and his creation. Perhaps relevant, perhaps not...