Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Novalis »

claaa7 wrote:
Novalis wrote:For me Tulpas are a bit too on-the-nose, unless it is taken in the same spirit as Briggs' aliens. So for me the Blue Rose remains mysterious, and is not at all fully explained by doppelgangers, ghola and golems. While I acknowledge Lynch is most likely deeply affected by Kafka's tale about the double, for this one I am calling death of the author. One does not simply exhaust the mystery of the Blue Rose.
well-written and interesting post.. which Kafka story is that? you're not thinking of Dostoyevsky?
Thanks, and yes, well spotted: I had The Double story confused with old Fyodor's. Still, both Franz Kafka and Thomas Mann have also used doppelgangers in prominent stories. Kafka's twins figures appear most conspicuously in The Castle, The Trial and in Blumfeld.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Dale Cooper:
"Deputy Andy. Your bravery is exceeded only by the size of your heart. A rare combination indeed."

(episode 17)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Brilliance. My favourite episode so far.
The Angels will return...
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

mtwentz wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
mtwentz wrote: Yes but we kinda knew that was going to happen already.
That's news to me, all I've seen is speculation that she'd possibly be playing Donna. :?
The part of the script that dealt with Monica Belluci was 'accidentally' leaked by the producers of that documentary about Lynch from Criterion. I think it was temporarily put on the Criterion Twitter account or something like that.
Wow I saw it but only the dialogue. Not sure how that detail went right over my head! lol
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:Very strange: https://twitter.com/NathanFrizzell/stat ... 3373888512
WTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Do not talk about future spoilers.

Do not link to future spoilers.

You want to help people with spoilers? Go to Reddit. Don't do it here.

We've come too far to fuck things up now.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Has there been a character thus far named Tina? or Christina?
As far as I remember, there haven't been any characters named Tina or Christina. However, Tina might also be short for Bettina, a form of Elizabeth, which can also be shortened to Betty. Betty is the name of Bill Hastings' secretary and of Bobby Briggs' mother.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

About the Jeffries scene:

The part where he walks in is from Fire Walk with Me and the part where he says the line is from The Missing Pieces.
Apart from the line difference in both versions there is a difference with where Jeffries is looking at.

In the movie he doesn't get his yes off Cooper at all while he delivers the line, whereas in the Missing Pieces version he also looks at Gordon.
Maybe Lynch deliberately wanted this eye contact to be used. And as, at least for me, that version doesn't sound even nearly as intimidating as the FMMW version, maybe Lynch wanted to add a bit more flavor to that line and maybe that's the reason he wanted to use someone to dub it over.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

.) On a rewatch of Piledriver Handed Freddie's story, I wonder if his epiphany that he should be doing more with his life was planted by the Fireman, or was he chosen by the Fireman because of his epiphany?

.) Chad is complaining that he's in a nuthouse... shortly before this week's Roadhouse girls talk about 'the nuthouse'. Hmmmmm.

.) I need to track down the location of Sarah's Elk Club bar. I know at least it's in Washington!
[edit]
Ha! found it in about 2 minutes! Smokey Joe's Tavern in Snoqualmie.

.) The overdubbed Jefferies voice is mixed much louder than the original Bowie voice. It's very noticeable, and I'm sure done to draw attention to it.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jerry Horne wrote:Do not talk about future spoilers.

Do not link to future spoilers.

You want to help people with spoilers? Go to Reddit. Don't do it here.

We've come too far to fuck things up now.
Standing ovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Rami Airola wrote:About the Jeffries scene:

The part where he walks in is from Fire Walk with Me and the part where he says the line is from The Missing Pieces.
Apart from the line difference in both versions there is a difference with where Jeffries is looking at.

In the movie he doesn't get his yes off Cooper at all while he delivers the line, whereas in the Missing Pieces version he also looks at Gordon.
Maybe Lynch deliberately wanted this eye contact to be used. And as, at least for me, that version doesn't sound even nearly as intimidating as the FMMW version, maybe Lynch wanted to add a bit more flavor to that line and maybe that's the reason he wanted to use someone to dub it over.
I'll back you up on that. The tone is drastically different between all versions (FWWM, Missing Pieces, and The Monica Belluchi Dream.) It was probably just for the sake of mood.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Haven't been able to keep up with the thread today, but have been thinking a lot about the dream theme from this episode and the season as a whole, especially all of the weird conversations we've seen in the Roadhouse. Aren't these like weird conversations we would overhear in a dream - things that don't make sense and appear out of nowhere like the penguin and zebra conversation? "I had the weirdest dream last night - there were two girls talking about a penguin and zebra. One of the girls had a weird rash under her arm, and she kept drinking from an empty beer can."

Then sometimes there will be a certain dream thread that mutates into a different scene or story in our minds - the endless Billy references remind me of this a lot. - The numerous Billys in the show, the guy running into the RR and asking if anyone's seen Billy, Audrey's story, the girls at the bar - it's like a contagious idea or image from a dream that keeps repeating and taking different forms in the show. There have been a few things that have seemed crazy and off the wall even for Twin Peaks - the sick zombie girl in the car who is being taken to see her uncle - then the mention of an uncle in the bar scene with the two girls. Freddie's bizarre green hand is like something out of a comic book and the fact his name is that of another tv character - is Monica Bellucci right? Is someone dreaming all of this? Did the Woodsmen put everyone to sleep so that they could live out their lives in nightmares or sleepwalk through their acts of evil? Is this one person's dream? Have the gateways allowed characters' dreams to invade and carry out their stories in reality?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Rami Airola wrote:About the Jeffries scene:

Yes, I had to watch these back to back. I think the theory someone had about the FWWM final cut including the jumping man fade-over is correct. I.E., they must not have had a clean master of the scene, so they went to a second take. The difference is a "this" and "that" and the way Bowie looks off from Cooper briefly. I guess Lynch may not have liked the Bowie audio of the out-take and had it redone. Who knows? Sounds more like Lynch channeling Kubrick. :) Or maybe the audio was a real mess and had to be redone. I don't have The Missing Pieces so I can't compare. Just another DKL mystery.
Last edited by wxray on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louisahoo

Post by Louisahoo »

Something that came to me tonight: On the map that was found in owl cave, there were two mountains, if you will, and within each one there were circles going around in circles is very much like the vortexes we've been seeing. We know that there is a vortex at the coordinates in the dakotas, and there is also obviously a vortex in Twin Peaks, as well as Glasston berry Grove so there are now multiple ways to access the other side. The question now is which side are you accessing if you go through a vortex, do the vortexes intersect, potentially at the red room, does one vortex take you to the White Lodge with the fireman, while the other takes you to the Black Lodge with the woodsman?