Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by whoisalhedges »

jason976 wrote:Any one know if Julee Cruise is confirmed on the cast list this season? Would love to see her as the final Roadhouse performance.
yes she is
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

firefly2193 wrote:For me this episode, in contrast to the past few parts highlighted why The Return can be a bit polarising for me. The scenes that feel the most alive and exhilarating are those that engage primarily through visual, intuitive film-making - scenes like the extended Naido/woods scene, or the Sarah Palmer scene. When The Return gets bogged down in characters simply talking in a room, often talking about events that we already know, there's a sense of over-exposition and heavy handedness.

An example of both of these was in the opening scene with Cole's dream. On the one hand, the visual story being told was both tantalising and subtly unnerving. But it was slightly undermined by Cole literally describing the events we were seeing on screen as they happened, or even just before they happened. I feel this could've been entirely more effective if we were simply shown Cole's dream without narration. Essentially, for me the show thrives when it shows rather than tells.
To be honest - that is a method that is employed by literally every other show out there. I think subverting it the way it did and having him explain the events made it that bit different than expected.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

mtwentz wrote:Hey folks, we've got 4 hours to go and these are the subplots we have to find resolution to (in addition to the main Good Coop/Bad Coop/Janey-E plot):

1. Red/Shelly/Bobby
2. Steven/Becky
3. Audrey's story (including presumably Richard and Charlie)
4. James/Renee
5. Ben/Beverly
6. Ed/Norma and Norma's Pies
7. Dr. Amp/Nadine

In addition, we also have yet to find out the fates of the following characters who do not appear this season: Annie, Leo and Donna
I am not sure that we need a resolution for the James/Renee story. It seems to go its way. And I think that points 6 and 7 are one and the same plot: Nadine will leave Ed for Jacoby, and make him free for Norma, who will throw away her evil pie-seller boyfriend.

But like someone else told previously, I am curious to know if Jerry Horne's story is useful in regard of the whole season. I think it's to be added on the list.
+ Freddy destiny to be fulfilled with the glove + the strange noise in the Great Northern.
Last edited by PsychoFox on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

PsychoFox wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Hey folks, we've got 4 hours to go and these are the subplots we have to find resolution to (in addition to the main Good Coop/Bad Coop/Janey-E plot):

1. Red/Shelly/Bobby
2. Steven/Becky
4. James/Renee
5. Ben/Beverly
7. Dr. Amp/Nadine

In addition, we also have yet to find out the fates of the following characters who do not appear this season: Annie, Leo and Donna
I am not sure that we need a resolution for James/Renee story. It seems to go its way. And I think that points 6 and 7 are one and the same plot: Nadine will leave Ed for Jacoby, and make him free for Norma, who will throw away her evil pie-seller boyfriend.

But like someone else told previously, I am curious to know if Jerry Horne's story is useful in regard of the whole season. I think it's to be added on the list.
+ Freddy destiny to be fulfilled with the glove + the strange noise in the Great Northern.
I feel like the Red/Shelly/Steven/Becky story ties together as well with the whole drug storyline -- which might also include Richard and Mr C eventually but that's 100% spec. Also James seems to be pulled into the whole mysterious buzzing at the Great Northern which ties into the Ben/Beverly plot. I think Jerry is going to run into or see something important, at first I thought he'd run into the Jack Rabbit's gang, but guess not.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

My guess is the important plots will wrap up and stories like Jerry's and Audrey's will bridge the gap to a fourth season that will be more present day with a back to himself Cooper in the lead...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
PsychoFox wrote:

1. Red/Shelly/Bobby
2. Steven/Becky
4. James/Renee
5. Ben/Beverly
7. Dr. Amp/Nadine

I am not sure that we need a resolution for James/Renee story. It seems to go its way. And I think that points 6 and 7 are one and the same plot: Nadine will leave Ed for Jacoby, and make him free for Norma, who will throw away her evil pie-seller boyfriend.

I feel like the Red/Shelly/Steven/Becky story ties together as well with the whole drug storyline -- which might also include Richard and Mr C eventually but that's 100% spec. Also James seems to be pulled into the whole mysterious buzzing at the Great Northern which ties into the Ben/Beverly plot. I think Jerry is going to run into or see something important, at first I thought he'd run into the Jack Rabbit's gang, but guess not.
Just a guess but...

Maybe Mr. C takes over that gang in Montana, takes on Richard (who may be his son) as his apprentice. They go into Twin Peaks and Richard gets his revenge against Red, which makes Shelly realize she was with the wrong guy and goes back to Bobby. It will turn out Renee is married to Bobby, but once she sees Bobby and Shelly were meant to be together, she will run to James.

Meanwhile Good Coop will take out Doppelcoop, which will then end the drug trade trail going to Twin Peaks. Steven will 'get clean', get a job at Mike Nelson's car dealership and he and Becky will live happily ever after.

Sound plausible?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote: Just a guess but...

Maybe Mr. C takes over that gang in Montana, takes on Richard (who may be his son) as his apprentice. They go into Twin Peaks and Richard gets his revenge against Red, which makes Shelly realize she was with the wrong guy and goes back to Bobby. It will turn out Renee is married to Bobby, but once she sees Bobby and Shelly were meant to be together, she will run to James.

Meanwhile Good Coop will take out Doppelcoop, which will then end the drug trade trail going to Twin Peaks. Steven will 'get clean', get a job at Mike Nelson's car dealership and he and Becky will live happily ever after.

Sound plausible?
That's a whole lot of soap crammed in to just a couple of episodes, even for original TP standards. :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

SamGGD wrote:If TP is just a fucking dream... that would suck profusely.
It's not. It can't be!!!
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by writersblock »

claaa7 wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
rdowens1215 wrote:I can only hope.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Wow, really? Anyone who wishes James dead is no friend of mine ...
co-sign.. the James hate is ridiciolous. he was dealt some shitty storylines and some constipated dialouge in Season 2 but i Always liked him as a character and was very glad to see him in episode 2 and 13/14.
James was given some tough storylines to be sure. And some horrible lines. But he is nowhere near the worst character. "Nice day for a picnic!" is cringeworthy to me but it's a ton better than some exposition I have seen in shows... Evelyn Marsh was atrocious... but he wasn't that bad. I wish they had played more on him clashing with Bobby... and then maybe show they have become friends in Season 3... I see them potentially being buddies - maybe even bookhouse boys now.

James hasn't done anything remotely bad this season.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

douglasb wrote:Quite a few people got frustrated at the lack of concern about Dougie's demeanour by family and colleagues. They noticed something was odd, but didn't react in a realistic manner. Notice then that no-one makes mention of the fact that Naido has no eyes, whereas I think that would freak most people out immediately.
Could Naido be like a veil?

Like so that lodge spirits can inhabit people without being seen?

Now that she's out, will Janey-E, Sonny Jim, Battling Bud etc. not see Dougie, but Cooper?
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Mallard wrote:
iar wrote:Sarah's obsession with Bloody Marys is like my wife's obsession with Bloody Marys. Should I be concerned?
Yes, I'd be concerned. Heartburn isn't fun for anybody.

Be sure to buy some Tum Te Tum TUM Tums....and a Bloody Caesar is a far superior beverage.imo
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

TwinsPeak wrote:...and a Bloody Caesar is a far superior beverage.imo
Best served in March? :)

(Clam broth, eh? I don't mind Bloody Marys, I'll have to try a Caesar!)
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

writersblock wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:For me this episode, in contrast to the past few parts highlighted why The Return can be a bit polarising for me. The scenes that feel the most alive and exhilarating are those that engage primarily through visual, intuitive film-making - scenes like the extended Naido/woods scene, or the Sarah Palmer scene. When The Return gets bogged down in characters simply talking in a room, often talking about events that we already know, there's a sense of over-exposition and heavy handedness.

An example of both of these was in the opening scene with Cole's dream. On the one hand, the visual story being told was both tantalising and subtly unnerving. But it was slightly undermined by Cole literally describing the events we were seeing on screen as they happened, or even just before they happened. I feel this could've been entirely more effective if we were simply shown Cole's dream without narration. Essentially, for me the show thrives when it shows rather than tells.
To be honest - that is a method that is employed by literally every other show out there. I think subverting it the way it did and having him explain the events made it that bit different than expected.
I would not call describing a dream as subverting it. Indeed many shows nowadays do show dreams straight, but that was some directly influenced by Lynch's work in Twin Peaks (Episode 2). I just don't think the narration added much - perhaps it could've been done differently, but for me it added a slightly cumbersome quality to what otherwise could've been an even more surreal scene. I think the scene still works well for sure, I just thought it worked as a good example for comparing the parts that work so well for me (visual, surreal action) and the parts that work less well for me (the dialogue heavy scenes).
wxray
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by wxray »

writersblock wrote:
James was given some tough storylines to be sure. And some horrible lines. But he is nowhere near the worst character. "Nice day for a picnic!" is cringeworthy to me but it's a ton better than some exposition I have seen in shows... Evelyn Marsh was atrocious... but he wasn't that bad. I wish they had played more on him clashing with Bobby... and then maybe show they have become friends in Season 3... I see them potentially being buddies - maybe even bookhouse boys now.

James hasn't done anything remotely bad this season.
I made a lot of fun out of the line in Part 2: "James has always been cool." But now... Well, I think we have a little foreshadowing of something really good that James is about to do. I have high hopes for him being a hero in some way. He's always been cool, and he'll be really cool in the next four hours. I'm betting DKL wants to give James (and James Marshall) some well deserved redemption.

I've come to think that line was not random or a poke at the fans.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

I just watched the 'Shadow Play' episode of the Twilight Zone and saw some connections to the new season.

1) One guy in the jail cell tells the main protagonist to not think about being there in jail saying another guy sounds like an animal because he can't stop thinking about being on death row. Animal noises in the jail cell in this past TP episode.

2) The DA who doesn't believe he's in the dream tells the main protagonist who is also on death row who is convinced he is in a dream that he's going to 'end his story now' just like Charlie/Audrey.

3) The main protagonist mentions that it's the same dream every night the only thing different is the people get switched around -- reminds me of all the random name drops like Billy, Tina etc.