Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Wally Brando »

Jack Rabbit’s Palace ~ = ~ The Giant’s Palace in the mauve world.
Love this.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

German dubbing spoiler somehow...
Spoiler:
btw, the German dubbing voice actress for "The Experiment" is credited in Part 14.

Is the "mother" inside Sarah?
o_O
Last edited by dronerstone on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I noticed that as well and was annoyed they did this because I think it is kind of a spoiler :roll:

I don't know, maybe you could put that in spoiler tags?
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

I absolutely love this episode, best one yet..imo.Can anyone let me know if we are going to see Windom Earle in this season?
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

It being all Audrey's dream would be really, thoroughly, mind-mindbogglingly stupid. What would possibly be the advantage to such a corny idea? There's nowhere for the writers to go and it drains so much of the power out of the story if it doesn't matter. There's no upside to it at all, it would leave you epically unsatisfied. Thankfully Frost and Lynch wouldn't be so corny.

(But if they did due to a freak dual head injury incident, it'd be Coop's dream. Why would they make a minor character who publicly badmouths the production the center of the series?)
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Rhiannon wrote:I absolutely love this episode, best one yet..imo.Can anyone let me know if we are going to see Windom Earle in this season?
Don't think so.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I've been on vacation this week and only just caught up on this thread today -- didn't want to post until I did so. I watched the Part under less than optimal circumstances, but was still mesmerized.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but the context/setup for the Paris scene changed some from the leaked "script," no? The script says something about someone leaving a bowling alley to go to a bar, then sets the Cole/Bellucci scene up as a film playing on "her" TV (Sarah's? Just a guess), then the film becomes the reality. I have a feeling a lot of stuff in TP:TR shifted/was recontextualized during editing.

As someone who likes Andy and Lucy as characters in concept but has hated the vast majority of their post-S1 material (with their scenes among the only material that flat-out doesn't work for me in TP:TR), I was thrilled to see DKL do what I hoped he would do all season: turn Andy back into a three-dimensional character. Goaz was fantastic throughout, and I couldn't be happier to finally feel a connection with the character again. I hope DKL does the same for Lucy before all is said and done (and Andy's vision implies that he may). Andy holding nude Naido's hand is immediately one of the most beautiful images in the entire franchise, old or new. What an incredible sequence. Who would have thought everyone's favorite Pomona bus expert Nae would end up being such a significant Lodge presence? That jailhouse sequence joins the car horn/zombie scene as an instant comedy/horror masterpiece.

As a few others have expressed, the Sarah scene worries me slightly in the same manner as the "Laura globe" in Part 8: FWWM uses the mythology as such a powerful metaphor for the cycle of abuse on a personal scale, I would hate to see that recontextualized as some sort of epic struggle where the fate of the world lies on some predestined battle between Moon Child Laura and Mother-possessed Sarah or some nonsense. Taken on its own, though, the Sarah scene is very powerful. It's actually a fairly conventional (albeit well-executed) horror scene, but what makes it incredible is Zabriskie's performance and our prior connection to Sarah, and the shock of seeing a beloved character revealed as something else entirely from the person we thought we knew. While many have complained about DKL's seeming lack of interest in revisiting old faces for more than chance meetings in TP:TR, what we have seen of the old cast demonstrates to me an almost sentimental love for the characters on DKL's part. I was expecting some dark twists, with our beloved characters either in tragic circumstances or having become in some cases twisted, ugly versions of themselves (after all, sometimes when you meet an old friend 25 years down the line, you don't like the person they've become). However, characters like James, Bobby, Ed, even Ben are likable, warm, decent guys we can enjoy spending leisurely time with. Some of them may have some melancholy/heartache, but overall don't seem to have encountered any serious tragedy or darkness. True, we have hints of Audrey having been raped while in a coma which still haven't been confirmed, and real-world circumstances led to Harry and Margaret being gravely ill, but Elk's Point #9 is the first time I feel truly disturbed by the way a character I love is depicted in shockingly new circumstances. Disturbed, sickened, even slightly betrayed....by both DKL and Sarah. The rug was completely pulled out from under me, and I loved it. Zabriskie plays this material like no one's business, and will likely be giving me entire nightmares for years to come, as did her IE performance. It makes for powerful viewing; I just hope it pays off in a way that strengthens rather than weakens Sarah's existing character. BTW, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I wonder how this links in with Sarah's possession in Episode 29. L/F have said that was the one episode they rewatched (Dean Hurley also confirmed this), so I imagine that moment was very much in their minds when they wrote Sarah's new material.

The Bowie overdub thing is definitely weird, and seems to vastly decrease the chances of any Bowie material having actually been shot. :? As others have noted, the overdub actor might be voicing Jeffries in black box/monkey/whatever form in a future Part...but he definitely won't be playing him in physical form.
The guy looks nothing like Bowie and is way too young (he's in his mid-30s, but looks even younger based on a quick Google Image search).

Diane having never seen a photo of her brother-in-law in the age of social media is pretty silly, albeit explained away in typically abstract/absurd Lynchian fashion in one perfectly-delivered line: "we're estranged." Coop talking about Briggs during his meeting with Diane means SHE was the last person to see (doppel)Coop before he went underground, not Briggs, correct? I have a feeling there's some shoddy continuity at play. Hopefully they either explain it in a way that makes sense, or just stop talking about it before it becomes a true mess.

So much more to say on this one, but I'm gonna stop here for now. Can't wait to see what these last hours hold!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Diane having never seen a photo of her brother-in-law in the age of social media is pretty silly, albeit explained away in typically abstract/absurd Lynchian fashion in one perfectly-delivered line: "we're estranged."
A lot of people have zero interest in social media and you'll never find their picture (or any other information regarding them) anywhere on the internet. Some of us strongly prefer it that way. 8)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I have relatives who I don't connect with on social media and never will, and I happily have no idea what their significant others look like. :D

Diane seems like that kind of person too.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Skip Bittman wrote:
BGate wrote: So, has anyone presented any ideas as to why they did this? Probably some simple technical reason, like the original dialogue wasn't loud enough to stand out in the new mix?
Seems pretty clear that with the new actor doing Jeffries' voice, it would make sense to dub that one line to match the new actor. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Jeffries, and I can't wait to see how they manage the visuals.
Except the "Jeffries" on the phone with Coop in pt2 sounds nothing like this version or the original Bowie version.
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Post by AJPRR2GO »

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (I've spent most of my free time rewatching part 14, and not enough time on here) but when Albert is explaining the first Blue Rose case to Tammy, and he's talking about when the detectives first kick the door in, he says something about a woman in the corner holding a gun. Then he says something along the lines of "as she backs away......" and I just cannot damn well understand just what he says after that!? I've tried so many times and I just can't make it out.
Can anyone with screen-caps PLEASE tell me just what it was that he said?
Many thanks, in advance.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

AJPRR2GO wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (I've spent most of my free time rewatching part 14, and not enough time on here) but when Albert is explaining the first Blue Rose case to Tammy, and he's talking about when the detectives first kick the door in, he says something about a woman in the corner holding a gun. Then he says something along the lines of "as she backs away......" and I just cannot damn well understand just what he says after that!? I've tried so many times and I just can't make it out.
Can anyone with screen-caps PLEASE tell me just what it was that he said? Image
'' as she backs away when they enter''
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by AJPRR2GO »

referendum wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (I've spent most of my free time rewatching part 14, and not enough time on here) but when Albert is explaining the first Blue Rose case to Tammy, and he's talking about when the detectives first kick the door in, he says something about a woman in the corner holding a gun. Then he says something along the lines of "as she backs away......" and I just cannot damn well understand just what he says after that!? I've tried so many times and I just can't make it out.
Can anyone with screen-caps PLEASE tell me just what it was that he said? Image
It's so obvious to me now that I know. Can't understand why I didn't hear it the first 5 times Image
Many thanks!

referendum
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by referendum »

AJPRR2GO wrote:
referendum wrote:
It's so obvious to me now that I know. Can't understand why I didn't hear it the first 5 times Image
Many thanks!
probably cos it sounds abit like '' wengyay end her '' :P
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by AJPRR2GO »

referendum wrote:
AJPRR2GO wrote:
referendum wrote:
Many thanks!
probably cos it sounds abit like '' wengyay end her '' :P
You just HAD to do that, didn't you? And you know exactly what I mean! Image