Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: That scene of Gordon talking to Lucy still gets a gut reaction from me of pure joy. We've gone so many Parts with Twin Peaks seeming completely cut off from Cooper's storyline, the FBI storyline, etc., despite so much that happens in those storylines revolving around the town. That withholding of any outside character having contact with the town for 13 Parts makes this opening scene so effective and wonderful. When I first watched it, I couldn't BELIEVE that bam, right out of the gate, we have Gordon calling the sheriff's department! I immediately flash back to him standing in front of Lucy's desk in Episode 14, eating donuts with the One-Armed Man.
Much like the Shelly/James Roadhouse scene, this also made me wonder if Gordon Cole and Lucy share any screen time in the original. I'd need to re-watch the first 2 seasons again, but I have a feeling they don't - I think even the donut eating scene takes place while Lucy's out of town.
You might be right. She patches through his calls a couple of times, so she’s definitely spoken to him on the phone. She’s around during Episode 25 and 26, so they may well have met off screen there.

James and Shelly are likely in the same grade (I’m guessing she and Bobby met in school), so they probably went to school together for eleven years before Shelly dropped out. It is funny though that Bobby talks threateningly about James to Shelly (“I’m gonna take care of Leo, I’m gonna take care of James, I’m gonna take of everything”) and Shelly doesn’t express any particular fondness for James.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:One thing I forgot to mention, while we’re all gushing over Lissie: I believe this is the only Part where the closing song is allowed to continue its final fading chord over the L/F Productions vanity card.
As I had promised two months ago, I was planning on doing an immediate rewatch, and it haphazardly happened to become a Summer '17 redux, where I started watching right around May 21, and had watched the first four episodes in two days. I was involved with other stuff, so I didn't get to Part 5 until almost two weeks later, at which point I realized I was watching on a Sunday, the exact Sunday that Part 5 originally aired. So then I just decided to follow the schedule, watching one every Sunday, except for the Sunday after Part 8. So I watched Part 11 this Sunday. The waiting between weeks has reminded me how unbearable it was to have to wait for a new part to air every week, and it's equally unbearable now because I'd just like to keep going with the series, partially because I'd like to keep watching and have the ability to do so, and partially because I'd just like to get it done so I don't have to take an hour out of every Sunday to get one in!

Anyway, I haven't gotten back to Part 14 yet, but this post has occasionally rang through my head. There are actually a few instances of a song ringing out over the Lynch/Frost electricity. I can't remember which ones at this point, but I know there were at least two in the first half of the season. I want to say it was definitely The Cactus Blossoms, though. I can't remember who else right now, but there were definitely others. I've been watching on headphones, btw.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:One thing I forgot to mention, while we’re all gushing over Lissie: I believe this is the only Part where the closing song is allowed to continue its final fading chord over the L/F Productions vanity card.
As I had promised two months ago, I was planning on doing an immediate rewatch, and it haphazardly happened to become a Summer '17 redux, where I started watching right around May 21, and had watched the first four episodes in two days. I was involved with other stuff, so I didn't get to Part 5 until almost two weeks later, at which point I realized I was watching on a Sunday, the exact Sunday that Part 5 originally aired. So then I just decided to follow the schedule, watching one every Sunday, except for the Sunday after Part 8. So I watched Part 11 this Sunday. The waiting between weeks has reminded me how unbearable it was to have to wait for a new part to air every week, and it's equally unbearable now because I'd just like to keep going with the series, partially because I'd like to keep watching and have the ability to do so, and partially because I'd just like to get it done so I don't have to take an hour out of every Sunday to get one in!

Anyway, I haven't gotten back to Part 14 yet, but this post has occasionally rang through my head. There are actually a few instances of a song ringing out over the Lynch/Frost electricity. I can't remember which ones at this point, but I know there were at least two in the first half of the season. I want to say it was definitely The Cactus Blossoms, though. I can't remember who else right now, but there were definitely others. I've been watching on headphones, btw.
I stand corrected!