Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cgs027
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by cgs027 »

KyleRickards wrote:
jason976 wrote::oops:
claaa7 wrote:
they are talking about the murder that Mister C sent out Hutch and Chantal to do in Las Vegas following the offing of Warden Murphy.. we only know that its two people that he wants killed
The double header in Vegas hasn't occurred yet. When Cole calls the Vegas FBI he is referring to Ruth and Briggs.
I didn't read it that way at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Even if the double header had occurred, why would that be on their radar? Vegas just popped up for the first time (besides the vague text which they didn't know what to make of) during their discussion with Diane, after which they immediately called the Vegas FBI. The only thing they know about Douglas Jones is that there was a ring inscribed to him found in Briggs' corpse (with Ruth's head), and thus, he's now a suspect in a double homicide.
Last edited by cgs027 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

The Giant wrote: I will tell you three things. If I tell them to you and they come true, then will you believe me?
Our 7-foot friend has, like DoppelCoop, always been invested in the long game.

I'm feeling this conversation in S2E1 is all about the first scene in the Return (and other things that have happened, sure - but he didn't listen when he was warned against Annie entering MTP pageant). Remember that the man in the smiling bag doesn't aid the investigation at all - it's just "hey, lookit that there, that giant was right!" Nor do the owls not being what they seem - that just a general warning. "Without chemicals, he points" is the only real clue out of the bunch; and hell, that ends up in a misdirect (they arrest Ben Horne).

No, the whole point of the "three things" is to win Cooper's trust. So that a quarter-century later, when it matters most, Coop will listen and understand.
The Fireman wrote:Listen to the sounds. It is in our house now. It all cannot be said aloud now. Remember four-three-zero. Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone."
We don't understand yet, but Cooper does. And once he gets his consciousness screwed back into his head, it'll be the first thing on his mind.

N.B. one of the enduring questions of this scene (to me) has always bene the "it is in our house now" bit. Everyone seems to be focused on what "it" may be - the Experiment, BOB, something else - but what first struck me when I watched on May 21 was the use of the word "our." Is the Fireman referring to the "house" (whether a physical building, like the house I'm sitting in now; or a metaphorical "house" meaning the lodgespace he resides in spiritually) he shares with an unnamed third party (like Señorita Dido, perhaps); or is he saying OUR to include Cooper, including him in the collective who shares the "house."

Probably won't matter. But it's what I first thought.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Mibbler wrote:And more:

From what Albert tells Tammy about Lois Duffy... Can we infere that only oneself is able to kill his/her doppelganger? But... another thing Albert mentions is that Lois was shot in her abdomen. Maybe if somebody else had shot Lois in her abdomen (and not in her head, let's say) would the woodsmen have appeared in that room to help her, as they did with Mr. C?
Isn't that where Dale was shot as well, and subsequent mimicking by Sonny Jim when he was in DOugie mode?

Meaxylon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Meaxylon »

whoisalhedges wrote:
The Giant wrote: I will tell you three things. If I tell them to you and they come true, then will you believe me?
Our 7-foot friend has, like DoppelCoop, always been invested in the long game.

I'm feeling this conversation in S2E1 is all about the first scene in the Return (and other things that have happened, sure - but he didn't listen when he was warned against Annie entering MTP pageant). Remember that the man in the smiling bag doesn't aid the investigation at all - it's just "hey, lookit that there, that giant was right!" Nor do the owls not being what they seem - that just a general warning. "Without chemicals, he points" is the only real clue out of the bunch; and hell, that ends up in a misdirect (they arrest Ben Horne).

No, the whole point of the "three things" is to win Cooper's trust. So that a quarter-century later, when it matters most, Coop will listen and understand.
The Fireman wrote:Listen to the sounds. It is in our house now. It all cannot be said aloud now. Remember four-three-zero. Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone."
We don't understand yet, but Cooper does. And once he gets his consciousness screwed back into his head, it'll be the first thing on his mind.

N.B. one of the enduring questions of this scene (to me) has always bene the "it is in our house now" bit. Everyone seems to be focused on what "it" may be - the Experiment, BOB, something else - but what first struck me when I watched on May 21 was the use of the word "our." Is the Fireman referring to the "house" (whether a physical building, like the house I'm sitting in now; or a metaphorical "house" meaning the lodgespace he resides in spiritually) he shares with an unnamed third party (like Señorita Dido, perhaps); or is he saying OUR to include Cooper, including him in the collective who shares the "house."

Probably won't matter. But it's what I first thought.
Just something I've been thinking about when it comes to the clues of The Fireman. The Giant's clue about the "man in a smiling bag" turned out to be quite literal
And as you say, some of the things the Giant said aren't really helpful clues, just a way to guide or to direct attention to something as if show a direction or give confirmation. I'm thinking the "two birds with one stone" might sound metaphorical but might turn out to be literal and it's meaning only makes sense to Cooper when he sees it. Two birds a a stone might be two actual birds sitting on a stone for instance, or an insignia of two birds with a stone.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I got this feeling (and hope, cause I think it would be pretty cool) that the vortexes are gateways to a certain person/figure's dream, so Andy's visit to the WL was actually a visit to this person/figure's dream (which also could explain Cole/Albert's and Truman/Hawk's memoryloss about their encounters with the vortexes).

And another thing, what if there are two Sarahs (hat tip to the Vlog Lady)? The sound from the kitchen could be the "real" Sarah being kept as hostage in her own house, but also being so under control from her doppelganger that she's able to/permitted to leave the house to go shopping for food/drink (could explain the voices she seems to be hearing as she suddenly leaves the store).
Anyway, that's my 2, actually 4, cents, and I've decided to stick to these theories from this point :?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

bob_wooler wrote:And another thing, what if there are two Sarahs (hat tip to the Vlog Lady)? The sound from the kitchen could be the "real" Sarah being kept as hostage in her own house, but also being so under control from her doppelganger that she's able to/permitted to leave the house to go shopping for food/drink (could explain the voices she seems to be hearing as she suddenly leaves the store).
Anyway, that's my 2, actually 4, cents, and I've decided to stick to these theories from this point :?
Hmmmm... it to me she seemed genuinely oblivious to what had happened when she just bit that guys neck off, which is hinting towards a more classic a-la Leland possession.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

cgs027 wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
jason976 wrote::oops:

The double header in Vegas hasn't occurred yet. When Cole calls the Vegas FBI he is referring to Ruth and Briggs.
I didn't read it that way at all?

Even if the double header had occurred, why would that be on their radar? Vegas just popped up for the first time during their discussion with Diane, after which they immediately called the Vegas FBI. The only thing they know about Douglas Jones is that there was a ring inscribed to him found in Brigg's corpse, and thus, he's now a suspect.
i have only watched this episode oce and i made a mistake in answering that i thought the double header someone asked about was the earlier mention by Mister C of a double header that needed to be taken care of in Vegas (as that part had been discussed earlier in this thread). if Cole mentioned it it's indeed quite obvious that it's about Ruth / Briggs
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:And another thing, what if there are two Sarahs (hat tip to the Vlog Lady)? The sound from the kitchen could be the "real" Sarah being kept as hostage in her own house, but also being so under control from her doppelganger that she's able to/permitted to leave the house to go shopping for food/drink (could explain the voices she seems to be hearing as she suddenly leaves the store).
Hmmmm... it to me she seemed genuinely oblivious to what had happened when she just bit that guys neck off, which is hinting towards a more classic a-la Leland possession.
At first, yes. But she became menacing again after the bartender said "we'll see about this."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
At first, yes. But she became menacing again after the bartender said "we'll see about this."
exactly.. i thought it was quite clear that the reason she screamed and acted oblivious was so that she would be able to get off the hook once the police arrived at the scene while being completely clear on what she had done
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

claaa7 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
exactly.. i thought it was quite clear that the reason she screamed and acted oblivious was so that she would be able to get off the hook once the police arrived at the scene while being completely clear on what she had done
I think it's hard to say conclusively one way or another. She was certainly conflicted and of two minds during the grocery store scene
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I'm like 95% positive she knows exactly what she did. Now with that said I'm not sure she can control herself .. she asked the trucker to go away and when he kept pushing, whatever is inside of Sarah then took over. Her scream when it was all said and done was to cover herself I think. She gives a very mean side eye to the bartender almost an evil look.. so I beleive she's aware of what she did , I think she even likes it a little bit ..
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Which musicians are left at this point? I know Cruise and Vedder but who else? Can't remember.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

frompureair wrote:Which musicians are left at this point? I know Cruise and Vedder but who else? Can't remember.
The Veils!
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

frompureair wrote:Which musicians are left at this point? I know Cruise and Vedder but who else? Can't remember.
The Veils. Just released a phenomenal album last year: Total Depravity. Lots of connections with the new season can be found on it.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

That's it! Couldn't remember for the life of me