Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Is anybody else in love with the fact that Monica Belluci showed up as herself in Gordon's dream? :lol:
Yes but we kinda knew that was going to happen already.
That's news to me, all I've seen is speculation that she'd possibly be playing Donna. :?
The part of the script that dealt with Monica Belluci was 'accidentally' leaked by the producers of that documentary about Lynch from Criterion. I think it was temporarily put on the Criterion Twitter account or something like that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

vicksvapor77 wrote: The only error I've seen so far is they didn't credit Al Strobel's hand with the ring in part 13. Perhaps there's some rule where if they don't show your face or use your voice, you don't have to be credited? But it was definitely him, reused footage of him from part 3 after the ring falls off Dougie's hand. All the other reused footage has been credited thus far.
I did notice last night that Lorna McMillan did not get a credit as the Angel like she did in Fire Walk With Me, even though her likeness was shown here in the scene with the Fireman and Andy. Not sure if that was an oversight or if they don't have to credit her this time.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
BGate wrote:Anything's possible but they have not pulled a switcheroo with anybody like that in the credits to this point. You can point to the Fireman but they literally used questions marks which was a way of telling us that his name was being kept a secret.
The only error I've seen so far is they didn't credit Al Strobel's hand with the ring in part 13. Perhaps there's some rule where if they don't show your face or use your voice, you don't have to be credited? But it was definitely him, reused footage of him from part 3 after the ring falls off Dougie's hand. All the other reused footage has been credited thus far.
Right. And like you said, that's very likely not an error. I know it was barely visible in the background but I was also surprised they weren't required to credit LFB for the photo of her in the Palmer house.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:I have a theory about who this person credited as "Voice" may actually be in the series, even though it's a little unusual because I think he's being credited here for appearing in a different episode altogether. Remember in Part 2, we hear "Philip Jeffries" speak on the phone to Cooper, but that voice actor was never credited? Maybe they got permission from the actor to wait until this episode to give him his credit and did so in the same episode where Bowie gets his actual credit as Jeffries. That way they wouldn't need separate credits for "Philip Jeffries" and "Voice of Philip Jeffries." So he shows up here with the generic "Voice" credit. I bet that's it.
That's a really good point. Or perhaps they actually did re-dub the Jeffries flashback with the new "voice" actor that was in part 2?
I thought so too, because it would explain why Jeffries line sounds so different from FWWM. I haven't compared the voice to the one in Part 2, though, and I'm not sure if that would be of avail. IIRC, the voice in Part 2 sounded distorted. If it's the same voice, I still don't think it was necessary to dub Jeffries in the flashback. It was just one line.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

mtwentz wrote:Any guesses as to who Renee might be married to?

Bobby?

Mike?

Chad?
No idea, but I find it comforting in a strange way that James never really learns from his mistakes. If history in TP is cyclical, then maybe he's stealing Mike's partner again..?
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

It's been pointed out that Andy opened the door to the White Lodge with love, right?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Having made it to the end of the comments, here are a few of my own:

- Despite having been on the fence about Diane for a long time, this episode made me lean towards the fact that she is involved in bad things (if only because we've got a limited time to resolve things). Her activity may be reluctant collision, but the fact that 'Dougie Jones' is married to her half sister seems like a coincidence too far. Three possibilities occur to me: 1. Janey-E is a construct, and Diane is up to her neck in this, having invented her sister at some point to legitimise her... 2. Janey-E is genuinely Diane's half-sister, and Diane is still up to her neck in this, introducing her half sister to the construct in order to give him some sort of 'cover' and legitimise him... 3. I wonder if, in being a 'cover' for Bad Coop, he invented the identity for himself, married Diane's half sister, and then substituted himself with Dougie Coop around the time of the 'accident' - in which case Diane is pissed off with Cooper because he got together with his sister instead of her, and she doesn't know that there are multiple Coopers. I'll admit, I'm not happy with any of these answers particularly, but I suspect Diane isn't either, which is why she is constantly looking confused and drinking. The whole "Vegas?" thing from part 12 has made it clear that she at least knows there's something there that the FBI might be interested in. I'm not convinced her shock in this part is genuine.

- Great to see Bowie again. Not sure whether it rules out anything for future parts, given that it's a dream of a memory, so I'm hoping he still makes an appearance, against all odds. But I'd be happy to see him either way. Interesting that we see him point out about not knowing whether that Cooper is the correct one, as at the moment we can't be sure whether the Jeffries we've hearing about through the Return is actually Jeffries either.

- No idea really what to make of Sarah Palmer, except that she seems allied (or corrupted) by the dark side. The fact that the spiritual finger crops up made me think "Doppelgänger" but then that would make Laura's light version some sort of light doppelgänger, and I'm not sure that's accurate either. Either way, it's a fascinating unexpected new twist - I can't wait to see what happens with all of this! I'm not convinced Sarah is 'Mother' as it seems that the Fireman's message would have been a bit more forthcoming about that sort of link.

- I'm curious at to whether ??????? calls himself the Fireman because that's his actual title, or simply because the description will resonate with Andy on some level. Maybe there is a connection to the Log Lady, that the messages she receives and assumes are from her 'fireman' husband are instead from this figure.

- I loved Andy's scene in the White Lodge. I presume that ??????? is giving him important information, which makes me think that the image of Lucy is from the future, a warning of something to come, rather than flashback to some vague past event. The image of the running girl from school as well - that was from the perspective of only four characters, wasn't it? Audrey, James, Donna and Bobby? (I can't actually remember if Bobby was there) I wonder if that means one of them is particularly important.

- The mention of Freddy and his glove reminds me, bizarrely, of Freddy Krueger. I hope it doesn't go that way but with all the dream stuff going on I can't help but wonder if he's got some connection to dreams through his glove (and working near a furnace).

- I'm not convinced the guy in jail is Billy, if only because the disappearing farmer and the search for Billy occurred in the same part previously. Yes, the Drunk is bleeding from the mouth and nose. But then so was the guy that Mr C punched to death in the previous part. Of course the titles "Farmer" and "Drunk" leave a lot open to interpretation, but I imagine they're deliberately vague. The Drunk's repetitiveness does feel much like Dougie's, but that makes me wonder if he's stumbled out of the Lodge himself. It would be somewhat bizarre if he turned out to be an 'evolved' version of Jeffries, and that he is actually speaking to Naido/Judy, not just mimicking her (I don't really think this IS the case, but it just occurs to me in writing).

Really looking forward to where we go to next with this show. This part actually answered a whole bunch of questions for me, and then gave us a whole bunch more.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

Sorry, but I felt that same way about Naido in the real world (especially the jail cell scene) as I did about seeing the bearded woodsman in the middle of the day..all the creepy/eerie/menace was gone, and it just looked kinda goofy.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Just a reminder that we've met 'Jack Rabbit' before. He lives with Suzie and Jane.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-08-14 11.11.12.png
Screenshot 2017-08-14 11.11.12.png (181.23 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Electric Tree wrote:Sorry, but I felt that same way about Naido in the real world (especially the jail cell scene) as I did about seeing the bearded woodsman in the middle of the day..all the creepy/eerie/menace was gone, and it just looked kinda goofy.
I thought Naido wearing Lucy's fluffy pink pajamas was kind of terrifying.

Actually I think the intent was to go for goofy.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:For me Tulpas are a bit too on-the-nose, unless it is taken in the same spirit as Briggs' aliens. So for me the Blue Rose remains mysterious, and is not at all fully explained by doppelgangers, ghola and golems. While I acknowledge Lynch is most likely deeply affected by Kafka's tale about the double, for this one I am calling death of the author. One does not simply exhaust the mystery of the Blue Rose.
well-written and interesting post.. which Kafka story is that? you're not thinking of Dostoyevsky?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:I thought so too, because it would explain why Jeffries line sounds so different from FWWM. I haven't compared the voice to the one in Part 2, though, and I'm not sure if that would be of avail. IIRC, the voice in Part 2 sounded distorted. If it's the same voice, I still don't think it was necessary to dub Jeffries in the flashback. It was just one line.
I don't think it was necessary either but there are likely critical scenes with Jeffries coming up
Spoiler:
(since David Bowie was supposed to film some scenes)
and perhaps there was simply nothing they could do to work around the issue and use old David Bowie footage in the scenes in the same way they did Major Briggs and Bob? This way, they can still respect David Bowie by having him be the only "person" to play Phillip Jeffries in the new season and still have the information Jeffries was going to relay come through via phone call with the new actor as 'Voice.'
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

The actor responded to me on Twitter! He is indeed the voice of Phillip Jeffries.

"I was given the surreal task of voicing the great #DavidBowie in Gordon Cole's dream sequence. Honored to be a part of #TwinPeaks"
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Might Naido symbolise the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

ThumbsUp wrote:Might Naido symbolise the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
I've been thinking that since episode 3.